What local MP games do you guys miss?

BabyHeadCrab

The Freeman
Reaction score
Epic Mario Party sessions, Mario Kart 64, Mario Kart: Double Dash, Goldeneye 64, Fifa, the original Soul Calibur, Tekken Tag Tournament, Bushido Blade 2, Fusion Frenzy... and a bunch more I can't think of!

What were you favorite local multiplayer games growin' up?

Goldeneye, Jet Force Jemini, Diddy Kong Racing, and 1080 Snowboarding were our go-to MP games. Pretty much in that order.

Goldeneye, Super Smash Bros, Pokemon Stadium, Diddy Kong Racing, Tony Hawk, Crash Team Racing and Crash Bash. Awesome memories playing all of those.

Gauntlet was by far the best growing up. So many memories playing that game with friends. I was so mad when my bro deleted my profile...

Holy shit how did I forget Tony Hawk and 1080 Snowboarding? So gud.

Also a bunch of Dreamcast stuff like Powerstone and Rippin' Riders.

Man I totally forgot Power Stone. My favorite Dreamcast game for sure.

At LEAST in my top five. Up there with Sonic Adventure, Skies of Arcadia and Jet Grind Radio.

Sonic Shuffle until last year. Friends and I got back into it for a couple months but it got old eventually. They should make a decent sequel.

Timesplitters, Army Men, Streets of Rage, Double, Dragon, Gauntlet, Altered Beast, Power Stone

Crash Team Racing, Team Buddies, Tekken Tag (even though I sucked horribly), Coolboarders, SSX, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance off the top of my head. Edit: Micro Machines V3 and Circuit Breakers hell yeeeees. Then of course there's the ninty shit like Goldeneye and Mario Kart/Part but I didn't know many people with those systems so that didn't happen often.

Road Rash, SSB, SSX (Tricky?), Goldeneye, Halo (Split-screen/system-link hang 'em high and chill out), Mario Party 2, Mario Tennis, Pokemon Stadium, Episode One Podracer, Excite Bike 64, and HYYYDDRRROOOTHUUNDDDEEERR.

Funny. I still play most of these with my friends while drinking; with exception to Pokemon Stadium.

If they made a full fledged Gameboy style Pokemon game for WiiU I'd buy one. (to digress a little bit)

Nintendo is also usually great with local co-op.

There are a couple of really old Amiga games I used to play with my brothers when I was small. They were simple arcade games but gave us hours of entertainment sat around the TV.

The most well known would be the original Worms, but there was also this free public domain version of Scorched Earth called Scorched Tanks, which was very similar to Worms and had some great unique weapon ideas. There was another game I forget the name of, which was kind of like a multiplayer competitive version of pac man, it was called Boats and Tanks or something like that. Also Gravity Force and its many clones, where you had a difficult to control physics-based spaceship in an enclosed environment. It was always great to be swinging around all over the place trying to shoot down the other guys pixelated triangle, only to gain too much momentum and fly into the cave wall.

I didn't do much local gaming with consoles, but I do have fond memories of Goldeneye, and a bunch of snowboarding and car racers on the PS1. As for the present, sharing control of Surgery Simulator 2013 has been quite entertaining.

Wow I can't believe I missed Podracer. One of the better Star Wars games out there, I remember it being so difficult.

I guess Project Eden and Time Crisis 2 (my friend had a pair of light guns). Half-Life: Decay was pretty awesome too, but short.

If they made a full fledged Gameboy style Pokemon game for WiiU I'd buy one. (to digress a little bit)

Nintendo is also usually great with local co-op.

I agree... only if it only had the original 150. I have absolutely no understanding of any Pokemon past the first wave.

I've been considering picking up a WiiU for the new SSB when it comes out. Though, I'm a little worried about the value of such a purchase. I understand that the console has a very loyal fanbase (for those that actually don't return it) and it has a couple of great games. Unfortunately, it always seems to be referred to as an economical failure whenever I read about it.

Lego Racers 2 on Pc.
And that awesome racing game for the PS1, it had those little jet-like vehicles. I honestly don´t remember the name but it was fraking amazing.

Remembered a few more.

Scorched Earth (for pc, me and my brother played the shit out of it), Total Carnage (SNES), Gauntlet Legends (N64), and Red Faction.

F*ck yeahs from everyone's posts:
Goldeneye, Smash Bros (Melee alone easily got 1000 man-hours), 1080, Powerstone, Scorched Earth, Mario Kart 64, Soul Calibur

Other contributions I fondly recall from my group's sessions:
Super Bomberman (SNES), Mario Golf Toadstool Tour, F-Zero X, like ALL the SNES and PS1 Street Fighter games (CE, Turbo, Alpha), all the rest of the Soul Blade/Calibur series
yeah we were a fighting game group

oh yeah, doing nothing but VS battles in Mario 3 instead of actually playing through the game

and Battletoads co-op

EDIT: Oh yeah, SNES Super Mario Kart deserves a mention too.

Back