When is the death penalty OK?

When do you think it is OK to use the death penalty?

• Total voters
Enlightenment has nothing to do with it.

It depends on societal norms, values, and standards. The norms, values, and standards of societies differ and as such there should be differences in what constitutes "reasonable punishment" across those societies.

Would you not agree that it is wrong for one nation or society to impose its norms, values, and standards upon another nation or society? Isn't that what you probably blame the United States for in Iraq and other places in the world where it seeks to spread "democracy"?

Because the population of those states believe that the death penalty is a fair and just punishment for certain crimes. The answer is as simple as that. If a state's population felt otherwise, they could have a vote on the issue to overturn the death penalty in that state.

The death penalty is not a "national" punishment at the federal level - except for treason - it's a punishment that is determined by and large at the state level.

apparently most people would rather have these miscreants walking the streets where they live...hope you have well protected homes...

I personally wouldn't like to have a KNOWN axe-murderer/pedo/rapist living next door,but to each their own I suppose..

a quick and painless death for them..unlike what they would do to their victims..dammit there I go again,being all soft..;)

T.H.C.138 said:
apparently most people would rather have these miscreants walking the streets where they live...hope you have well protected homes...

I personally wouldn't like to have a KNOWN axe-murderer/pedo/rapist living next door,but to each their own I suppose..

a quick and painless death for them..unlike what they would do to their victims..dammit there I go again,being all soft..;)

Um, you heard of prisons?

MjM said:
How many states have the death penalty, 30 something?

Forty states have the death penalty. Ten states plus the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico do not have the death penalty.

have you heard of prisons? have you seen or heard how easy it is for some killer/rapist/whatever to get out of going to prison in the first place?

I live about five miles from a county jail and most people who have gone there refer to it as "Club Elmwood"..playing cards with the guards sure sounds like a fitting punishment..some would rather be in jail than be free..no worries about the next meal or paying rent or anything like that..sounds fair..

hard working "decent" people PAY FOR THIS! some of them pay with their lives to these assholes..and we give them cable tv! free room and board!! better educational tools than many schools have..better medical than many "normal" people have..the list goes on..

save the rest of us some money and ease society's burden by wiping out the hardcore criminals..with proof of their crimes..I am not for the complete slaughter of people who actually may be innocent,just the proven serial killer/rapist types..

it has actually been proven that chemical castration is not very effective with pedophiles..they still want to see/touch children..and most "rehab" of hardcore killers is ineffective as well..not always,but more often than not they go right back to their old ways and get locked up again!

wasting time and money on court proceedings and then (maybe) more time and money keeping them healthy and alive in prison..thats what I NEED to spend my money on..instead of keeping myself and family healthy and alive..

there is no deterrent to criminals,because no one is willing to do what should be done and make an example of the hardcore types..ahh for the days of criminals being drawn and quartered..maybe thug life wouldn't look so sweet to kids if that was still a viable form of execution..

SFLUFAN said:
Enlightenment has nothing to do with it.

It depends on societal norms, values, and standards. The norms, values, and standards of societies differ and as such there should be differences in what constitutes "reasonable punishment" across those societies.

Would you not agree that it is wrong for one nation or society to impose its norms, values, and standards upon another nation or society? Isn't that what you probably blame the United States for in Iraq and other places in the world where it seeks to spread "democracy"?

who's imposing values? that's something your government is very good at ..by your own admission. But by the same token that sentiment is moot because capital punishment is not accepted in every state ..which kind of begs the question as to why you do it in the first place. It's not universally accepted in the US.

Tell me, do you agree that CP should be used in cases of when a police officer is murdered? if so, then I'm sure it's because of reasons of determent ...not that I'm putting words in your mouth but as I understand it, it has always been that justification

T.H.C.138 said:

that makes little sense ...you're positing the idea that if they commit a capital offense in a country where capital punishment is banned then the perpetrator will be let back into the society ..which is never the case

CptStern said:
who's imposing values? that's something your government is very good at ..by your own admission. But by the same token that sentiment is moot because capital punishment is not accepted in every state ..which kind of begs the question as to why you do it in the first place. It's not universally accepted in the US.

Tell me, do you agree that CP should be used in cases of when a police officer is murdered? if so, then I'm sure it's because of reasons of determent ...not that I'm putting words in your mouth but as I understand it, it has always been that justification

Actually the US government is absolutely piss poor at imposing values on other societies. Personally, I think the government has no business telling other nations what they can or cannot do with their own citizenry or "human rights" (whatever the hell those are) but that's a debate for another day.

Because of the system of government in the United States, each state has the soverign right to decide for itself whether or not it wants capital punishment. One state cannot impose its own pro or anti capital punishment values upon another state - I'm afraid I don't see where your reasoning is going here.

As for using capital punishment against the murderer of a police officer of course I'm in favor of it. But again, while some may claim that its for deterrent purposes, we both know that it would never deter a hardened criminal. Thus, the legitimate excercise of capital punishment in this situation is to remove the violent offender from society by taking his life and by doing so engage in "justifiable revenge" within the context of the legal framework.

CptStern said:
that makes little sense ...you're positing the idea that if they commit a capital offense in a country where capital punishment is banned then the perpetrator will be let back into the society ..which is never the case
It sometimes is though, they are let out on paroll.

in case of murder-
its about paying,u kill someone you pay its that easy thats my opinion.

Foxtrot is correct!! they get out on parole.."good" behavior..all kinds of ways to get out..technicalities such as the ever popular "inadmissable evidence" or whatever the hell it is..these are the individuals I am concerned with..or the registered,relocated pedo living across from the elementary school..seriously,WTF!?

and my previous post was in regards to the poll results so far..it worries me but at the same time it does give me hope that maybe it will be a more peaceful generation in the years ahead..

T.H.C.138 said:
Foxtrot is correct!! they get out on parole.."good" behavior..all kinds of ways to get out..technicalities such as the ever popular "inadmissable evidence" or whatever the hell it is..these are the individuals I am concerned with..or the registered,relocated pedo living across from the elementary school..seriously,WTF!?

this makes absolutely no sense ..if they have enough evidence to get the death penalty they have enough for life in prison. Most would be without the chance of parole ..I'm willing to bet the number of repeat felons sliding through the cracks (in a no death penalty state) is along the same lines as the number of inmates wrongly executed every year

T.H.C.138 said:

and my previous post was in regards to the poll results so far..it worries me but at the same time it does give me hope that maybe it will be a more peaceful generation in the years ahead..

A murderer is unlikely to get out of prison particularly rapidly for 'good behaviour', although it may knock a few years off a life imprisonment.

Peadophiles do need to be monitored though, agreed, and kept away from schools, parks etc.

And just to point out that the death penalty, as mentioned earlier in the posts, is more expensive than prison for a felon.

I'm saying all this stuff but I do admit that if I had a friend or family member killed I'd might well be up for killing him... I think... hmm.... At the same time I'd be glad to see him or her go down for 20 years at a high security prison. Much as people would love to think of prison as being a bit of a laugh with "no worries", from what I've heard from people that's very far from the truth.

"Oh look I can't go anywhere I want to."
"Oh look I'm stuck living with a bloke who hates me."
"I have to sit watching TV or playing cards all day... for 20 years."
"I need a woman."
"I need Vasaline."

a quick and painless death for them..unlike what they would do to their victims..dammit there I go again,being all soft..
Yes because there's no such thing as prison.

Murder and rape. Even if I had to carry out the sentence myself, I've got plenty of room in my yard for some bodies.... :thumbs:

Then again I may be a little biased, since I've had friends that were victims of both.... ;(

i think paedophiles, murderers, rapers and adulterers should get dealth penalty

RakuraiTenjin said:
And treason (IE: Roseburgs selling nuclear weapons info to Soviets)
I don't see why treason should be a crime at all. If someone sold Soviet nuclear weapons info to the US would you execute them? So why the hypocrisy? If someone sells weapon info to the Soviets he's a traitor and deserves to be executed, if someone sells weapon info to the US he's a national hero eh?

JellyWorld said:
I don't see why treason should be a crime at all. If someone sold Soviet nuclear weapons info to the US would you execute them? So why the hypocrisy? If someone sells weapon info to the Soviets he's a traitor and deserves to be executed, if someone sells weapon info to the US he's a national hero eh?
Yeah, when we're on the gaining side of the transfers it's great (such as Operation Paperclip, Project ALSOS, TICOM, etc)... but as soon as some of our stuff slips out we call "Foul!"

death sentence is imoral, outdated, and unjustufied, gov. didn't give "life" to no body, so they don't have the RIGHT to take it away, simple as that

plus, life in prison is pretty bad (no parole)

CptStern said:
:upstare:

no one would ever accuse these countries of meteing out justice fairl

Japan

the US is the only 1st world country on that list ...you're up there with the axis of evil ...Iraq, Iran, North korea
...Japan is a third world country?

The treason thing should only get the penalty if it ends up in the death of several of thier countrymen or allies. And besides, putting this person in the same cell with a Big Black dude from the Bronx, who also has life in prison, is alot worse than dying. :)

well in my defense, I didnt provide the criteria as to why traitors should be executed ...I just provided an example :E ...just trying to help out

There is nothing better than promoting capital punishment for treason and citing such a perfect trio, your help is greatly appreciated. ;)

baxter said:
There is nothing better than promoting capital punishment for treason and citing such a perfect trio, your help is greatly appreciated. ;)

you're most heartedly welcome :E :)

Back