Where do you think EP3 will start off? (Location)

The rebels will have probably enhanced the chopper to allow it to travel all the way to the artic without needing to refuel, possibly enhancing its speed too. Theyve harnessed zeropoint energy and made anti-mass spectrometers and short range teleportation technology and big agile robots all of which would all undoubtedly need quite a powerful energy source, stands to reason they could invent something to power the chopper for some time.

edit: come to think of it, they could just retrofit something from the combine choppers, i doubt they run on gasoline.

Er, yeah there has. I thought your issue was the circumstances where it's happened?

Relative and one in the same; as stated, the Nova Prospekt trip was to back track - to put into perspective the distance travelled from Kleiner's lab. Tell me - apart from that contained trip, has there been any other convenient projectile jumps forward? It must be at least on the ridiculous scale to which you have come up with in regard to White Forest and the North.

As I said, these may be exceptional circumstances where the Vorts feel have no than to intervene.

Reason appears to be an abstract concept to you. That is absurdly arbitrary - 'exceptional circumstance'? As though, somehow, Eli's rescue from Prospekt was not; that perhaps sending Gordon and Alyx to White Forest right away instead of helping them search for a vehicle was not? Are you quite serious in proposing such a nonsense development?

EDIT I wrote a whole paragraph about how the Rebels had got pretty close to having teleporter tech, then remembered they have achieved it - they sent Alyx through from Eli's lab without a problem. So, sorry but you're entirely mistaken about the abilities of the Rebels. Where was I....?

I don't think you even know what you are talking about. Their teleporters, based at Kleiner's lab and Black Mesa East respectively, no longer exist. Gordon arrived on the day that they had finally finished the project. It was an entirely new development and breakthrough for them. You're far too busy being an argumentative little shit to actually notice the stupidity of what you're saying, so devoid of reason and thought as it is. At the present moment in time, at White Forest, they do not have teleportation equipment capable of sending them, without a secondary relay at the intended destination, to the North. That is why Alyx sought out the helicopter, and why Judith before them had to use one too. So, you see, regardless of their accomplishments prior to then, they are currently operating on a fairly rudimentary level. What is more, the Vortigaunts have proven themselves valuable allies; simply because we are seeing more of them does not mean that, all of a sudden, they are becoming 'more active'. They have always taken such a role. Had they the ability to accomplish what you are suggesting, quite outside of your arbitrary "exceptional circumstance', it would negate everything that came before that moment.

Whoa. Calm the funk down Internet Tough Guy. Is the heat getting to you? Nice though, isn't it?

I'd rather be stupid than so apparently lacking in imagination. Nothing is as defined as you seem to think it is, even in the minds of the writers, nearly everything is open to speculation. Your argument is based on unproven assumptions, in turn based on the limited view of the HL2 world we have through Gordon's eyes and scant hours of experience. You don't own Half-Life, alright?

I'm done with this, I don't care enough to explain how you're missing the simple points of what I said in my last post. Samon baiting gets boring when you stop pretending to be reasonable.
Peace.

I really doubt the Vortigaunts could do anything without more extract, and that's rather a lot of trouble to get and I don't think anyone wants another trip through an antlion colony.

Your argument is based on unproven assumptions, in turn based on the limited view of the HL2 world we have through Gordon's eyes and scant hours of experience.

It's amusing you say that considering I used that exact example to debunk your "Vortigaunts are way more active now" comment. Also, check it out Jolly Roger - there is a very fine line between 'unproven assumptions' and 'abstract theories'; I did nothing but state reasonable observation, whereas you delved into the deep waters of open speculation with neither refinement nor reason. You don't leave those at the shore.

Mabye they'll just take a break and show some greiving about Eli, then Alyx will know that her dad will have wanted them to go, so she and Gordon will take the helicopter north, and frankly, I doubt it'll be that long a ride.

Just sayin...

I think it will start exactly where EP 2 ended because there will be some great drama that they can create.

I suspect we'll be starting off at White Forest. Certain important things really need to be said and done before anything else occurs. I think it is important to see the reactions of Kleiner and Magnusson in regards to Eli's death.

Seeing as this thread is active again (3 month necrobump notwithstanding), I'll give my two cents.

I think Half-Life 2: Episode Three will begin with a G-man message. Why not? His imperative he communicated to you in Episode Two was to take Alyx safely to White Forest, he may very well speak up at the start to establish his expectations of you. All this hinges on whether or not the Vortigaunts present at White Forest are sufficiently "occupied" or not, however.

Possibly right after Eli died, or during his funeral or something. I think Alyx would be reluctant to go on another trek with Gordon right after her father died.

Yeah I think the game will start at the funeral and your first mission will be as one of the pall-bearers and you have to carry the coffin down the aisle because eli died and now he has to be buried and alyx will be crying. but then lammarr will show up and hump something so people will laugh and the player doesnt feel to sad.

It's amusing you say that considering I used that exact example to debunk your "Vortigaunts are way more active now" comment. Also, check it out Jolly Roger - there is a very fine line between 'unproven assumptions' and 'abstract theories'; I did nothing but state reasonable observation, whereas you delved into the deep waters of open speculation with neither refinement nor reason. You don't leave those at the shore.

Hello all,

I've been reading the discussion between Samon and pomegranate, and I was wondering something:

How do we know that whatever the Vortigaunts did to get Alyx and Gordon out of the Citadel at the start of Episode 1 was actually teleportation?
As we know from the two instances in Half-Life 2 where we actually saw teleportation happen (assuming that that is the only kind of teleportation that exists), and an equal number of instances where we experienced it ourselves, teleportation is a rather violent process. This is suggested by the way Alyx responds to being teleported from dr. Kleiner's lab to Black Mesa East (she starts to feel increasingly uncomfortable and nervous, and can't stifle a scream at the moment she is actually being teleported), and also by the sort of electromagnetic (I think) discharge that seems to accompany a teleportation.

Now, whatever it is that the Vortigaunts did, it seemed to me to be a rather more smooth process. You'll remember from the start of Episode One, when the Vortigaunts whisk Alyx away, that Alyx starts to exude the same sort of light as the two Vortigaunts next to her, before the three of them gently 'fold' into themselves, if that makes any sense.

I think that the abilities displayed by the Vortigaunts more closely resemble the G-Man's abilities, than they do the sort of teleportation that we saw in HL2. I would say that their abilities are not so much teleportation, as the ability to 'temporarily move into a different plane of existence, superimposed over our own.' ( I know I copied that almost verbatim from GammyGoose's Episode 2 commentary, but I don't know how these forums feel about posting links, so I'm just assuming everyone knows what I mean, sorry.)
So with that in mind, wouldn't it be plausible that they didn't teleport Alyx and Gordon away, but simply pulled them into aforementioned plane of existence (in which the G-man can also move around) and put them back into the 'regular' plane at the bottom of the Citadel? Maybe it's just a question of semantics, but I still wanted to ask it.

Finally, the reason I think that the abilities displayed by the Vortigaunts, and those displayed by the G-Man are similar, is because both seem to be able to interfere into each-other's abilities (e.g. the Vortigaunts shielding Gordon from the G-Man, and the G-Man 'sneaking in', as it were, when 'your...friends, heh, were otherwise occupied' to talk to Gordon, after he has been pulled into this different plane by the Vortigaunts.) Teleportation, in contrast, seems to be 'subjectively' instantaneous, with as of yet no instances of the teleportation being interfered with 'mid-flight' by an outside party. Even when time passes more quickly relative to the outside world (the week that passed between Entanglement and Anticitizen One, which only lasted a few seconds for Alyx and Gordon) the teleportees don't seem to be conscious of the passage of time.

Furthermore, the reaction displayed by a human (i.e. Alyx) who is pulled into this plane of existence by either the Vortigaunts or the G-Man, is the same on both occasions: Both when she is rescued from the Citadel by the Vortigaunts, and when the G-Man whispers his message to her, she is suddenly startled, as if awakening from a deep sleep. This suggests that, as opposed to teleportation, it is possible to be entirely conscious when inside this plane.

To make a long story short (too late, I know :angel: ) what do you think?

PS: I know I'm a noob and all, and I know I'm rather long-winded, but as I said, I just wanted to ask this question. It is in no way an opinion I am not willing to depart from when your explanation is more reasonable than mine.

Thanks in advance!

Yeah I think the game will start at the funeral and your first mission will be as one of the pall-bearers and you have to carry the coffin down the aisle because eli died and now he has to be buried and alyx will be crying. but then lammarr will show up and hump something so people will laugh and the player doesnt feel to sad.

Hahaha

hey!
I reckon that ep 3 will start with a grief stricken alyx being comforted by the scientists in the lab.
I agree with whoever posted earlier, gordy probably passed out (the big pansy) - he did get dropped from some height by the combine slug thing, whereas alyx was on the floor already. Having fainted many times before, I know that sight is the first thing to go, and the last thing we hear is alyx having a big weep, its already blacked out. maybe im reading too much into it. either way, we will wake up in the lab, up above, with kleiner and mags, and they will be giving alyx a cuddle.
then, as you get your bearings, there will be an almighty boom boom pow, and the combine will start attacking the base, destroying the helicopter in the process.
you will have to leave to get to the borealis on your own. i reckon that you will leave alyx for the forseeable future, meeting up with her end game, or near the end game. getting a game character to have plausable grief whilst pumping zombies full of lead might be one step too far for valve...
maybe barney, or someone else, comes along for the ride, and you go off on foot (sigh) to get to the borealis.
Maybe, just maybe, you have to go to a lab where there is a teleportation device. but im not sure - the whole 'portal-tie-in' thing i reckon is no more than a gimmick, designed to help sell portal (although its a wicked game, no need with help selling) but you see what i mean - its tie in merchandising, rather than actual linkage. but i may be proved wrong.

anywhoo, you get to the borealis, you kill everything, perhaps with some help from mossman (which would be fun) and it ends. happily, i hope! although i reckon gman's employers wont be revealed, that will be kept secret for later.

anyway thats my two cents!

Back