Which web browser do you use?

Which web browser do you use (read before submitting!)

• Internet Explorer

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • Internet Explorer variant (e.g. Avant)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Mozilla

• Mozilla Firefox

Votes: 83 78.3%
  • Netscape

• Opera

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • ISP browser (e.g. BT Yahoo!, AOL)

• I browse on my phone / PDA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use telnet because I'm elite

• I don't browse the internet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ZoFreX

Spy
Reaction score
I don't mean which web browser you use the most, or which one you're forced to use at work / school. Given a free choice, which web browser do you use?

-edit-
It has been pointed out to me that the last option is unlikely. Hey-ho. Also please note these browsers are in a completely random order and I'm not trying to sway the vote with jedi mind tricks.

I've used Opera for a very long time and never had a problem with it.

If someone can tell me ONE way in which IE is better than for example, Firefox, I'll be surprised.

What's the differance between Mozilla and Mozilla Firefox? I used IE till until some months ago. Now I can't understand how i could live without MFF.

pomegranate said:
If someone can tell me ONE way in which IE is better than for example, Firefox, I'll be surprised.
Its integrated into the windows operating system giving it just a lighter feel, using less ram and loading faster.

Plus it doesnt screw up webpages that dont have their css configured a certain way like ff does

After switching back and forth between IE and FF, i definitely prefer using IE. The adblocker in ie (HOSTS) isnt quite as versatile as the FF plugin though, but it works well enough. Thats pretty much the only thing i prefered in FF..

IE. I would like Firefox to become the norm, because of it's CSS standards, which means I could make websites in CSS without it borking up for people that use IE.

But when the updated IE comes with Longhorn it should be standard compliant and i'll be able to use CSS for layouts, yayyyyyyyyy.

FF is the best i love tabs cos you dont need another process running

pluf the weather extension!!! :)

I absolutely don't see any advantage of IE, none whatsoever. FF seems to use a little more RAM (not always though) but that's no issue for me. Besides, when you minimze the FF window, it cuts down to a few MB of RAM usage. FF just surfs many times better, and that's a fact, I can't imagine anyone preferring 10x windows of IE to 10 tabs, or IE's manner of downloading to FF's. The plugins are amazing, adblock is a lifesaver.

And Firefox screwing up certain webpages is only due to crappy webprogrammers. That IE displays everything perfectly is actually a bad thing and it's the thing that screws up the WWW, not Firefox.

Opera is nice too, but a little too bulky for my taste (although that may be entirely customizable) and it's not freeware or open source (not that the latter is per definition better).

Tabs > everything.

I don't browse the internet.

Not at all.

:|

pomegranate said:
Tabbed web pages. It's impossible to go back once you have tried having 7 web pages open all under one web browser. I don't actually use FF, I use Opera, but they both have that feature. I used to use ctrl-n with IE to open new windows but it is a huge pain in the ass.

funny.. they keep making these threads.. eventhough they're all for a diffrent goal!! THE ANSWER WILL ALWAYS BE AND STAY FireFox!!! hasen't that been stated enough yet?

Well, it seems that normal people use Firefox. CONFORM YOU IE WEIRDOS!

/me looks specifically at Ikerous

PvtRyan said:
I absolutely don't see any advantage of IE, none whatsoever. FF seems to use a little more RAM (not always though) but that's no issue for me. Besides, when you minimze the FF window, it cuts down to a few MB of RAM usage. FF just surfs many times better, and that's a fact, I can't imagine anyone preferring 10x windows of IE to 10 tabs, or IE's manner of downloading to FF's. The plugins are amazing, adblock is a lifesaver.

IE has a built in adblocker (Sorta... (HOSTS))
Who the hell has ten windows up.. i have one..
FF isnt faster since it takes longer for it to build the pages.
I like my ram.

The Thing said:
Well, it seems that normal people use Firefox. CONFORM YOU IE WEIRDOS!

/me looks specifically at Ikerous
::Takes your look as a look of affection::
::hugs:: ^_^

Ssssh, or the 1337-h4x0r-d00ds will develope more viruses for FF, if they find out the majority uses it :O

FF
when switching sometimes to IE I feel like without a leg or something

76%!!!
The Evil Empire begins tu crumble:p

edit: 78%. the victory is at hand!! :LOL:

Ikerous said:
::Takes your look as a look of affection::
::hugs:: ^_^

Get away from me. You IE scum.

/me spits in Ikerous's general direction

Ikerous said:
Its integrated into the windows operating system giving it just a lighter feel, using less ram and loading faster.
Looking at this page in FireFox and IE, IE is using one meg more of RAM. Go figure.

Ikerous said:
Plus it doesnt screw up webpages that dont have their css configured a certain way like ff does
Last time I checked, firefox had one majot display bug for rendering webpages, and internet explorer had countless. Including the one bug that firefox has. If the page is correct html / xhtml / css, it WILL display well in firefox. The same cannot be said for IE:
IE screwing up borders big-time

Ikerous said:
The adblocker in ie (HOSTS) isnt quite as versatile as the FF plugin though, but it works well enough. Thats pretty much the only thing i prefered in FF..
I never settle for "well enough" :LOL:

Ikerous said:
Who the hell has ten windows up
Someone creating a webpage? w3schools css reference, barebones html reference, the page, the phpmyadmin page.. takes up a lot.
Ikerous said:
FF isnt faster since it takes longer for it to build the pages.
You can speed up the way firefox loads the pages by letting it open multiple connections, if that's what you mean. Or it might be that firefox waits until it has all the style sheets before displaying the page, thus saving you looking at the presentational equivalent of a raw turd.

Lol, who the hell would program borders like that XD
It's not really a problem since you can program the borders
just fine if you do it right...
Firefox completely ignores some css, like scroll bar color

And yea, the adblocker isnt as nice, but a decent adblocker in a browser i just prefer is better than a good adblocker in a browser i dont particularly care for.

When i program i normally only have notepad and 2 maybe 3 browsers open... the one im working in and possibley google incase i need to find a peice of code i don't remember.

Recoil said:
NOOOO!!! Not the color!

j/k

:D
Lol, some sites it really kills the overall theme
Especially in iframes (I think it ignores iframe scroll color too...)

I have five tabs open now: this one, a page at two other forums, that page with the border chaos demonstration, and a news story.
If I'm reading Wikipedia I often have up to 15 tabs open with different articles.
You can't understand until you've tried it....

the only complaint I have with FF is that sometimes it doesn't play backround music correctly, but that is it

Firefox all the way, I have horrible memories of the old IE days....

It was actually the users on this forum that convinced me to switch to Firefox,.

I will not accept no substitutes. I love the tabs, the google search, but I find, oddly enough, the feature I cant stand to live without is the ability to type in a domain name into the address bar without the '.com'

Adblock in FF = click, click, done
"Adblock" in IE = navigate to your system directory, dig out the system "HOSTS" file, open it up in notepad, add the IP address/domain of the site you want blocked manually, save the file, close, possibly restart the browser/computer depending on how the planets are aligned

:p

oberGeist said:
FF
when switching sometimes to IE I feel like without a leg or something

76%!!!
The Evil Empire begins tu crumble:p

edit: 78%. the victory is at hand!! :LOL:
The problem is that this poll isn't on which browser you use, it's on which browser you want to use if you could choose. So the results don't really mean as much as you think. Plus IE stillhas 90% market share.

I say get Munro to check the website stats to see which browser hits the site the most.

Back