Which year did you join the forums?

Yah?

• Total voters
Hold on let me post first so I can remember.

Looks like 04. I was a freshman in college. I don't know why I joined either... I didn't realy start posting a lot until a couple of years ago.

2007. I kept hearing stories from Wanted Bob about strange and wonderful 'happenings' on the forum, so I joined up.

I had just about graduated when I joined. I've been wasting my time in my various places of employment ever since.

2003 after HL2 was announced at E3 (well I didn't join till a few months after, lurked for a bit).

2007 for me, which kinda makes me a semi-old timer I guess.

If the 2003-2004 crew are the oldest of the old, I'd say I'd just retired.

I will post until my post count reaches my user name, and then leave for all eternity.

Numbers if you leave after a measly 378 posts from now I'm going to do something very bad.

more like 378 * 40. Since that's how many posts it takes to make the postcount go up by 1 now. Stupid site.

I will post until my post count reaches my user name, and then leave for all eternity.

To start another username that is a much higher number and pretend you're from North Korea.

Didn't realize I was so near 15357, but hey that's a good idea. I might do that. :p

Can't fool us. They wouldn't allow North Koreans to go on a site as liberal as this one!

Posting to check before voting

EDIT: 04. A lot has changed since then, and gaming is no longer a part of my life in any way shape or form. Way to make me feel old and unaccomplished. Makes me want to get back into gaming, or at least get my old rig running again to play some new source titles.

EDIT EDIT: Mindless_moder, that was completely coincidental.

Let me check.

I joined after I bought The Orange Box, I think I've told the story before. Just Googled "Half-Life forum" and found this site, been here ever since. Haven't really been posting as much anymore, more just observing.

'03. I think I only visited the On-Topic sections back then. Really fun to be at around '03-'04; felt like there was tons of community involvement with Valve. I haven't looked forward to any other game nearly as much since then and have mostly stopped keeping track the past few years, although I still tend to know more about new games than my friends, just by virtue of occasionally looking in Games & Gaming. I probably just come here habitually now. Like I'll turn on my computer, check email, facebook, google reader, and hl2.net.

I stumbled across this hellhole when I was 14, lurked for a year and then joined in '09.

Sometimes I actually forget that I have (at least) one thing in common with you peeps, we've played and loved Half-Life 2 at some point.

I'm glad this thread came along, I was about to establish us 2007's as the cool hip master race without realising that I'm surrounded by crusty old men.

^ A rhetorical question is still a question, and should have a question mark.

I'm on Yorick's side in that it's a convention of this forum, albeit not that it's a true rhetorical question. It's more like a remark that happens to be worded like a question. I'd think people that've been around as long as you guys have would recognize it.

Though technically you might be correct, its usage is a matter of debate.

The usage of a question mark on a rhetorical question can imply a different tone. For instance, "Isn't this view amazing?" is interested and surprised. "Isn't this view amazing." sounds more thoughtful or even sarcastic. And "Isn't this view amazing!" sounds more exciting.

Agreed with Yorick.

I ask questions without question marks all the time. Especially when I'm doing what Yorick just did, responding to someone when I think they're being dumb.

How do you not get that.

The question mark is puncutation, and punctuation serves exactly two functions in a written sentence:

- provides structure
- denotes inflection

The question mark and period are two different types of sentence-ending punctuation. Therefore, they serve the same structural function, thus leaving only one meaningful difference between the two; that being, one inflects upwards, and the other inflects downwards.

Therefore, a question that ends in a period is a question asked in deadpan inflection.

Stig Mata, we're done here.

You 04s rode in on 03's coattails. There wouldn't have been anything here for you without us. WE BUILT THIS SHIT. 03s are the greatest!

But for a few, you've all died out. Coattails? Yes. But we're keeping this place on life support.

only four less 2003 voters than 2004s
46RAG.jpg

I think I joined first in 2004, but my account date is later because I was an annoying pubescent asshole back then who got banned multiple times.

I also remember visiting the halflife2.net IRC channel back when the leak occurred, but I don't think I was a member on the forums back then.

What I remember the most from back then were my discussions with qckbeam and Comrade Badger. Man, that feels like ages ago.

P.S. I voted 2004, though as you see for my current account it is 2005.

Back