Why do games look better on youtube/other peoples screens?

ShinRa

Companion Cube
Reaction score
I'm perplexed. Perhaps I sound like a nagging twit, but this has been bugging me for a while now. Ive got a high end pc, with enough power to run games like Far Cry 3 and Borderlands 2 at their absolute maximum settings. The games look gorgeous, however, when watching gameplay vids on youtube or screenshots of other people playing, they always look slightly better? Is it just me? Does it have something to do with the resolution? My monitor?

Well if a screenshot looks better to you than your own game does, then it couldn't be your monitor.

In what way do they look better? Gonna need a better description.

At first I thought you were asking why lower res youtube or shaky-cam videos looked better than the game actually does, and I was going to say because our minds fill in the detail and so it always looks better than the real thing.

Do graphics...actually...matter?

Well if a screenshot looks better to you than your own game does, then it couldn't be your monitor.

In what way do they look better? Gonna need a better description.

At first I thought you were asking why lower res youtube or shaky-cam videos looked better than the game actually does, and I was going to say because our minds fill in the detail and so it always looks better than the real thing.

Do graphics...actually...matter?

Ok farcry 3 for instance. I feel like the youtube videos I'm watching the DOF is larger, the textures up close are clearer, there's no "pop in" textures like on mine. But this isn't the only game it happens with. Even non-demanding games like CS GO I feel are better looking (at least in textures) than on my screen. Could it just be the tinier the screen, the more detailed it looks?

And
you son of a bitch

there's no "pop in" textures like on mine.
Well, something like this wouldn't be affected by video resolution, so that might be your system not having as much or as fast video memory as theirs.

I feel like the youtube videos I'm watching the DOF is larger, the textures up close are clearer...
Could it just be the tinier the screen, the more detailed it looks?
Like I said, this does happen.

you son of a bitch
I added that spoiler before I even remembered that it was you who originally made that thread. I had a good laugh.

Well, something like this wouldn't be affected by video resolution, so that might be your system not having as much or as fast video memory as theirs.

GTX680 4GB...can't imagine how much faster their card is, but thanks I had a feeling it was that.

Ok farcry 3 for instance. I feel like the youtube videos I'm watching the DOF is larger, the textures up close are clearer, there's no "pop in" textures like on mine. But this isn't the only game it happens with. Even non-demanding games like CS GO I feel are better looking (at least in textures) than on my screen. Could it just be the tinier the screen, the more detailed it looks?

And
you son of a bitch
Also watching a game is very different to playing it - youtube videos won't give you the same dynamics of your control and the game's response, they won't linger on what you would be focusing on if you played yourself

Record some Far Cry 3 gameplay with your PC, upload it to YouTube, and watch it. Report back with results.

Ever heard of the phrase "The grass is always greener on the other side?"

XiaKeGV.jpg

Yeah I'm actually really glad I decided on viewing this thread.

Back