Worst game(s) you ever paid good money for?

nokori3byo

Reaction score
Yeah yeah, so any of us could drone on for days about the worst games we've seen or played, but what about the ones you actually paid for? Did anyone actually buy "Drake of the 99 Dragons"? Has anyone ever bought a good, knowing full well that it would be bad, just for shits and giggles?

My top pick would be:

Pacific Strike (PC, 1994) I picked this up thinking it would be a worthwhile melange of the sci-fi classic Wing Commander and grittier WWII flight sims of the time. What a disappointment. You could fly Japanese planes, but if you looked out the left side of the cockpit you could see American insignia on the wings!! What kind of cutrate nonsense is that? Also, I once survived crashing directly in to the bridge of a Japanese carrier. I then flew my kite back to base and was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for my imporbable deeds.

I actually PAYED for this HORRIBLE game, it was so TERRIBLE.. I.. I just.. It's really bad, ok. It was called HALF-LIFE 2. TERRIBLE!

hehe.. I'm joking.. Put the pitchforks and torches away, please..

My real answer to the thread would be Fantavision for the PS2. Full price.. ugh.. It was at PS2 launch, and I thought it'd have spectacular graphics to showcase the power of PS2.. omg.. It's just really bad.. I'm also cursed with keeping this game, because when I try to sell it to EB games or something, they don't take it, not even for free (yes, I've offered it to them for free).

Stuntman.

And "WCW vs. NWO" for the original Playstation. It was $80. Yeah, $80 for the PS1. For some shitty wrestling game. Sigh.

Crash Bash.

Actually, maybe Pac Man World.

Guild Wars???

What?? That game lasted me an entire year. Just the origional.

I'd have to say... Hitman: Blood Money for x360. It was over too fast and almost no replay value imo.

I actually PAYED for this HORRIBLE game, it was so TERRIBLE.. I.. I just.. It's really bad, ok. It was called HALF-LIFE 2. TERRIBLE!

hehe.. I'm joking.. Put the pitchforks and torches away, please..

It's a good thing HL2 didn't suck. Valve payed 40 million dollars of good money for that one.

Few years back I moved to a new apartment and had no internet (was waiting for them to put DSL in the area and cable wasn't an option at the time), and I was fiending for TFC.

So I went out and bought Quake 3 Team Arena.

I look back and think, "I must've been possessed."

Killzone.

Seriously, it was such utter bollocks. Why do people still like it urgh >.<

Gears of war for having horrible non next gen MP and it felt rushed. Halo 2 for not being fun PERIOD!

Tony Hawk's Project 8 on PSP. Worst mistake I ever made.

^ NO U.

Call of Duty 3 for X360. I'm actually a fan of the series, and it wasn't really an awful game, but it felt a waste considering the single player was over in a day and I honestly just could not get the multiplayer to work. Even after they patched it, even after I tried that port forwarding crap, to this day it just sucks and won't let me into any games. Other 360 titles - no problems.

Add to that the fact that I traded a few of my older games in to EB to get it cheaper. In retrospect that was pretty ****ing stupid...

I loved the sp for COD3 xbox360, it took me a week on veteran, heh

But I'd have to say: soldner. What a piece of crap that was.

Ebola. A friend of mine paid like 40 euros for it. It's so incredibly bad, history itself has attempted to erase it. It's already done it for the web

Gears of war for having horrible non next gen MP and it felt rushed

Gah! GoW is the most 'next gen' multiplayer game i've played this generation. An excellent tactical teambased shooter and a breath of fresh air.

With the amount of reviews floating around these days it's quite easy to avoid shite games. Disappointing ones are more of a problem for me. PDZ, Mario Sunshine and MK Double Dash are guilty of not being what they should have been!

The worse would be 007: Rogue Agent for the Gamecube, payed like 35 quid for it and it was absultely shocking.

Others would be Call of Duty 3, I couldn't even be bothered finishing it, it was just Call of Duty 2 with much, much crapper missions, the tank missions had me in stiches because of how shit they were. Im a huge fan of the series too.

Hitman: Blood Money, I barely got halfway with it, I mean the balance was all wrong, yeah ok, you can create accidents and get Silent Assasin, so you went and did that in every mission. You are given all these high powered weapons, but you dont want to use them, hard to explain really. The AI was absultely terrible.

GRAW 2, brought it when it came out so it cost around 35 quid. Very, very average, the battle system was just lackluster, and about as gripping as a modern day horror film. Barely got halfway through before I gave up.

Spiderman 3 started off very promisingly but as you get deeper into the game it just becomes ludicrous, mainly the battle system. Becomes incredibly tedious, and you are put into impossible fights, like 10 enemies that take about 200 hits each to die, not only that but their attacks are majorily damaging and you cant even stay mid air because they have ranged attacks too. You are forced to just button bash until your hands bleed, which puts a waste to numerous combos you get, and STILL you die.

Just Cause I felt was just an average version of GTA with lots of explosions. Very short storyline, tedious mini missions, poor graphics, poor combat system and some of the worst AI I have ever seen.

Eve Online started well, but just decended into it a blackhole of tedium. Luckily I had only payed for one month before realising the mistake, so I cancelled it immediately.

I left my review of EVE Online in the "Games You Recently Played" thread.

Good God, if I would have paid for it, I would've shot myself. I could not have lived with such a mistake; that's a blemish that marks you for life.

For LIFE!

Oh, and I also wasted cash on Hesperian Wars. God, that game was shitty.

Heh, I usually just read reviews and avoid all the shite.

Far Cry...dear god. Far Cry, to me, was like playing through a Uwe Boll directed game. Yes, I know he's directing the movie...so, it should be just as bad as the game. At least he's not gonna trash a beloved franchise.

Killzone is #2 for me. Speaks for itself. A great looking turd.

Oblivion and NWN2.

Horrible uninspired peices of junk, following on from excellent games before, dumbed down buggy shiney bouncey crap for the masses.

Was NWN2 that bad? I always found the first to be a poor mans Baldur's Gate, saved only by the multiplayer, and was hoping the sequel would be a return to form.

Heh, I usually just read reviews and avoid all the shite.
That unfortunately doesn't always work. Numerous mags and online sites gave Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance rave reviews.

Never have I returned a game so fast after renting it. Literally five minutes. One battle was all it took. Now I can't trust anybody on video games.

Gah! GoW is the most 'next gen' multiplayer game i've played this generation. An excellent tactical teambased shooter and a breath of fresh air.

With the amount of reviews floating around these days it's quite easy to avoid shite games. Disappointing ones are more of a problem for me. PDZ, Mario Sunshine and MK Double Dash are guilty of not being what they should have been!

I said that because it mimicked CS (expect that you switched sides each round)and it copied Winback and Killswitch (even though KS copied Winback).
If you look at the MP maps their is nothing next gen about them: mirrored levels, copy pasted cars and textures. Thats why GOW was a waste of my money and my opinion on why it's not a next gen game.

The Bouncer probably, I didn't pay full price for it though as I bought it from a friend.

Crystal Kingdom Dizzy - in 1992 for my 128k Spectrum +2.

I saved up lots of pocket money for this game, It cost about 12gbp which was a lot of money for a game back then. Anyway, I took it home, played it, and couldn't get off like the first 3 screens. It was so completely insanely frustrating... I remember crying about it. I was just a child.

Dizzy, why did you betray me?

The Sims 2.

Oh the days of being addicted to the Sims.../shudder. We've all been there...right?

Oh god. Seconded.

At first, it didn't seem so bad. And the health system was actually kinda nifty, better than "walk on medpack to regain health".

Then the story went to absolute shit and just getting worse. Especially in Anvil or whatever. Guys are fighting, and I'm like "WTF is this shit. What the hell is going on here?". Culminating in the worst ending for a game in which the boss had to be fought tooth and nail.

ARGH... :sniper:

Don't forget shit gameplay.

Yeah, the gameplay wasn't too good, but still, the story has to be my biggest complaint. How can anyone even begin to think "This is a well-structured and satisfying game plot"?

Oh, yeah, it was horrible. Made no sense, was poorly written, and just sucked the big one. I ****ing rofled hard when I learnt the character I was playing was working for the bad guys all along.

This talk of Pariah has reminded me of Unreal 2. Bought cheap under the assumption it really can't be that bad - after all, the original was a fps great - yet was horribly wrong. Total shite.

The ID collection....Samon told me something about it two days later

D:

Back