would you play a pokemon mmo?

Jerry_111

Reaction score
I would. I mean, why hasn't anyone at least tried to cash in on this concept? The singleplayer world is ripe for an MMO setting. Imagine, facing off against actual other pokemon collectors as you traverse the world and dungeons together, beating bosses, joining/going against team rocket.

lot of possibilities there!

I would consider it, but it has to potential to be really really really gay and a let down to everyone that played it as a kid

No.
Tourneyfags would ruin it like every other Pokemon metagame.

I swear to god this exact thread has been made before.

If it was done right? Hell ****ing yes.*
I swear to god this exact thread has been made before.

You're probably thinking of the "What game would you make? (or something like that)" thread, which was 30% pokemon mmo discussion.

*Having it done right means it only has the first two generations and a few guilty pleasures of mine from the later ones

No, but lots of others would.

**** yeah I would. I agree with sheepo that it should be the first two generations only (maybe the third). This would probably be the only MMO that I would try besides Eve.

Holy ****. I'm imagining it guys, and it's so beautiful it's making me depressed to not have it.

I would most definitely play it, except it would be a disappointing heap of shit.

Yeah, that sounds about right Emp. It'd have to be very well done (a lot of instanced areas, for example) in order to be good.

No. If it was anything it would be like Colosseum. Now that's a game I will never pick up ever again.

I would under one condition... I was the lead designer. Otherwise, guaranteed shit.

the 1st time i played a Pokemon game was a month ago but yes! the game is addicting and fun and it never seems to end so yeah a MMO Pokemon would work

Only if they stopped at second generation (hell, I wouldnt mind sticking with just the first tbh).

Wow now. Wow now. Wow now. Sapphire and Ruby and some good pokemon.

3rd generation is a ****ing abomination, you heathen. Also, this thread is crushing all my pokemon optimism in one night.

If Nintendo came up to me and said, "We'll give you the Pokemon MMO of your dreams, but in exchange you must kill a cute, defenseless kitten," I'd squeeze that kitten like a furry grape.

I would bathe in the blood of kittens for a Pokemon MMO.

I would gather kittens, raise them with the love and care I would my own offspring, kill them one by one, collect all their blood, bathe in it, and force myself to feel proud about what I've accomplished. For a Pokemon MMO.

Tbh, I found the Pokemon games disturbingly without governance. I mean, wherever you go, some kid or biker gangs attack you with their monsters. There are no functioning police stations. All the infrastructure has either gone to shit (remember that power plant?) or are in control of a criminal organization - Team Rocket (who actually seem to be more competent at security than the police). Once you leave the cities, well, welcome to hell. Monsters attack you from every single direction, and travel between cities are near impossible without armed guard, because you have to go through some tunnel without a clear cut road, or the infrastructure's gone to shit because of some biker gangs or retards that want to sic their monstrosities on you for reasons unknown (it is entirely probable that those are rapist bikers). How is the economy still fuctioning? How exactly do they get their supplies? What is this shit? This is the most hostile environment known to Man and yet they maintain a state of anarchy, without any functioning government. The only organizations that do exist, are all bent on crime or making their pets fight one another ("Gyms"). Then who funds those free "pokemon centers"? There is NO government or taxes to keep them (or other vital infrastructure) afloat! I wouldn't be surprised if they were some sort of money laundering station or sell illegal body parts in the back, and the treatment is just for show. They prolly pump you full of heroin and amphetamines so that you feel like you're all better.

Christ no.

Or... maybe to troll the pokefags... depends on the cost.

No, don't think so. I hate MMOs. And never played pokemon more then to give my character a funny name, and get to the first thingy whatever they are called.

But you know, if it where to be done, they whould just sell all the new pokemons as expansion packs. Like warcraft did.

only if there's Misty in it :naughty:

Imagine it, a perfect Pokemon MMO where you could have fun roaming the wild with your friends. 2nd gen at most. Absence of tourneyfags at the leagues. ****ing spectacular.

I'd play it if it was like the DS games but in 3D with the option of challenging any user to a battle.

The potential to make money with it would be huge. They could get away with microtransactions for every Great Ball/Master Ball etc and tons of other things. It'd print them money.

Slightly better Stadium-esque graphics.

With the GB/DS gameplay and options

2nd generation

"Factions" could be "Gyms" that you could create with friends

Instanced non-city locations (would suck to see like 80 ash's running around a small patch of grass)

Trade capabilities

Hey, while we're on the subject, someone should learn C++ with me. I have a pretty good design doc for a turn-based/2.5D fighter adaptation of the battling portion of Pokemon.

Hey, while we're on the subject, someone should learn C++ with me. I have a pretty good design doc for a turn-based/2.5D fighter adaptation of the battling portion of Pokemon.

Post it.

Tbh, I found the Pokemon games disturbingly without governance. I mean, wherever you go, some kid or biker gangs attack you with their monsters. There are no functioning police stations. All the infrastructure has either gone to shit (remember that power plant?) or are in control of a criminal organization - Team Rocket (who actually seem to be more competent at security than the police). Once you leave the cities, well, welcome to hell. Monsters attack you from every single direction, and travel between cities are near impossible without armed guard, because you have to go through some tunnel without a clear cut road, or the infrastructure's gone to shit because of some biker gangs or retards that want to sic their monstrosities on you for reasons unknown (it is entirely probable that those are rapist bikers). How is the economy still fuctioning? How exactly do they get their supplies? What is this shit? This is the most hostile environment known to Man and yet they maintain a state of anarchy, without any functioning government. The only organizations that do exist, are all bent on crime or making their pets fight one another ("Gyms"). Then who funds those free "pokemon centers"? There is NO government or taxes to keep them (or other vital infrastructure) afloat! I wouldn't be surprised if they were some sort of money laundering station or sell illegal body parts in the back, and the treatment is just for show. They prolly pump you full of heroin and amphetamines so that you feel like you're all better.
I'm saving this.

Surprised they haven't done it already. And perhaps it would clean the eight year-olds out of every multiplayer FPS.

Actually, perhaps the industry could be doing more to make worthwhile online experiences for younger users anyway? I guess no-one wants to make something of any quality, just in case discerning paedophiles are pulled in.

I'd play a singleplayer console Pokémon RPG with optional but well integrated online elements. I would not play a Pokémon MMO.

No. My interest in Pokemon ceased to exist after ~3rd grade.

I've actually been wanting to learn C++, so maybe I'll help you. How good are you at programming? I know a good deal of Java and a friend told me it was pretty similar, so the transition shouldn't be too hard.

I thought what we had was special.
Before you get all heart-broken, think about it. An MMO with thousands of people running around opens the gates to moronic behaviour enough without being built on a licence focused on children. The target audience is not us, no matter how much we may enjoy the franchise. I would love a Pokémon console RPG, and I'd love there to be an online element, but without that element being optional I'd be constantly exposed to the target audience, who would ruin the game. I'd want a feature similar to the likes of Demon's Souls, Monster Hunter or even the existing Pokémon on DS, but for the love of God, nothing like WoW.

Then you shouldn't have talked about it.
Maybe you should learn C++ with me and find out why I didn't talk about it.

(hint: because it's a viable game on its own and also AWESOME)

Back