X Rebirth

Paulaner

Space Core
Reaction score
Exciting news from Egosoft:

Publisher Deep Silver and developer Egosoft today announced the latest game set in the X Universe, set to transport the multi-award-winning series to another dimension with radically new game design and top notch graphics.

The space simulation X Rebirth heralds more than just an additional chapter within the X series, it is a fresh beginning bringing with it a number of gameplay innovations without compromising its successful origins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LabrDe4XJo0

if this game comes with a tutorial that lasts like 15 mins I'll buy it

Looks nice, but that trailer was hilarious.

"The supernova changed everything... FOREVER."

Just about spit my ****ing drink.

Looks nice, but that trailer was hilarious.

"The supernova changed everything... FOREVER."

Just about spit my ****ing drink.

Also, I missed the usual calm, moody, ambient music from previous trailers. Maybe they want to advertise a faster, more adrenalinic gameplay. It's fine for me, as long as they don't drop that sense of gently drifting in space.

I wonder how the gameplay will change. [strike]Reunion[/strike] Terran Conflict was pretty solid all round.

Absolutely not. X is a singleplayer experience. There's Eve for that.
Perhaps, but they have on and off through-out the years made it clear they do desire to make a multiplayer game, let's not forget that at one point they actually had a X MMO in development but it was put on hold after they were unable to find a publisher interested in financing it afaik.

On another note, will be interesting to see how this pans out but I think I will be busy playing X3TC, haven't played it for a long time because my crappy PC from 2006 doesn't like it. Ah I remember when I first got into the X series. I bought X2: The Threat the moment it came out but was absolutely terrible at it, in my defense I was 13 years old at the time.:p

Perhaps, but they have on and off through-out the years made it clear they do desire to make a multiplayer game, let's not forget that at one point they actually had a X MMO in development but it was put on hold after they were unable to find a publisher interested in financing it afaik.

I'd like an X MMO to be a different game because, as we all know, SP and MP are totally different gaming experiences. See Old Republic and KOTOR.

On another note, will be interesting to see how this pans out but I think I will be busy playing X3TC, haven't played it for a long time because my crappy PC from 2006 doesn't like it. Ah I remember when I first got into the X series. I bought X2: The Threat the moment it came out but was absolutely terrible at it, in my defense I was 13 years old at the time.:p

X games are hard and complex to master, so they are sort of niche games. A simplification is needed, in my opinion, but the risk of turning X into an action-packed space sim to attract casual players is high.

Paulaner, I agree with you, I am not a huge fan of MMOs and I am the last one to approve of all these people that shout that they want multiplayer in for example Elder Scrolls V and so forth.

A simplification isn't really needed in my opinion so much as a better tutorial system with more to do should you not want to get into station-building and so forth.

If you get what I mean, rather than simplification I merely think they should be able to expand on the less complex parts of the game but do so without removing the more complex features.

But I guess that could be called simplification too.

I myself have been busy this past week playing the classic Frontier: Elite 2, my goal is to get the Elite combat ranking, heh.

Wish Egosoft would make an MP title :(

It looks pretty good I guess. I wish they'd show more new features in that trailer; so far it just looks like better graphics. Evochron Mercenary allows for seamless planet landing, I think this should be the X series next step..

But yeah, hope it doesn't become a Freelancer clone.

Evochron Mercenary allows for seamless planet landing, I think this should be the X series next step.

Planet landing is good as long as it is functional to the gameplay and not a mere "look at that beautiful landscape" gimmick. Different bases and cities should be built on dozens of planets. Not an easy task, but I'd like it to be done.

Seamless planet landing would I only be interested in if they drastically changed the layout of systems myself, got rid of the gates system and adopted a system like Frontier: Elite 2 with full-scale planets and starsystems that are procedurally generated partly.

Of course, this won't happen, it's not X-style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-SrAMFvOLE&feature=player_embedded

This is what I'm talking about, keep in mind this is from an early version of an in-development Elite 2 clone.

You have to admit that that game, for an alpha made by a group of volunteers in the form of a freeware game, is pretty darned impressive.

More so than the planets from the Evochron series in my opinion.

Seamless planet landing would I only be interested in if they drastically changed the layout of systems myself, got rid of the gates system and adopted a system like Frontier: Elite 2 with full-scale planets and starsystems that are procedurally generated partly.

The problem with procedurally generated assets is that, well, everything looks the same. At first I was excited by planet landing in Frontier. I was like "Omg, thousands of planets on which I can land!". But you soon realize that it's a great illusion. In a week or two you know that you will not find anything really exciting on those planets.

The problem with procedurally generated assets is that, well, everything looks the same. At first I was excited by planet landing in Frontier. I was like "Omg, thousands of planets on which I can land!". But you soon realize that it's a great illusion. In a week or two you know that you will not find anything really exciting on those planets.

Well, did you check the Pioneer video? It has planets that are a lot more unique with distinct geographical features, but sure, procedural has it's flaws just as well.

But not all planets in Frontier were procedural, there were several handcoded ones.

But as I said, this isn't really the X-way anyway, I doubt we'll see an X any-time soon that changes the system to a more "open-ended" one where the planets aren't essentially skyboxes in specific zones.

Also, that reminds me of how crappy some planets were handled in I think it was X3:R, I remember on some planets it looked like the water rotated around the world but the textures of the land-masses didn't, looked really weird as if the oceans and lakes were constantly flowing over new landscapes. Not sure if it was a bug or just poor design.

Well, did you check the Pioneer video? It has planets that are a lot more unique with distinct geographical features, but sure, procedural has it's flaws just as well.

Yes, it's impressive.

X is probably my favorite series of video games. I'm excited about this one although I don't know much about it yet. The problem I have is that I don't have a gaming PC. My plan was never to build another gaming rig for as long as I live. This may change that outlook, but I'm still unsure.

Things that I would consider sacrilege in an X game....

If there is MP I won't even consider buying it and X will be forever dead to me.
If it's dumbed down in any way, shape or form I won't be buying it and X will be dead to me.
If they add planets to visit with planet landings I won't consider buying it and X will be dead to me.
If they force you into a story as opposed to going straight to sandbox I won't be buying it and X will be dead to me.

If they meet those requirements, chances are I'll build a new rig pretty much for this game exclusively.

The original X title forced you into a story as opposed to going straight to sandbox, you are aware of that right?

At least that's what I recall.:p

It's been a long time, but I believe you are correct, or at least a couple of missions first, again I don't remember. Giving the gamer the option to decide was a fantastic choice and if that goes away... well I'll stick to my word.

I will no doubt not purchase it either if it goes with a forced storyline, but I very much doubt that will happen.

They'd be pissing off pretty much all of their established fanbase if they did, and they know that.

Hooray for 2 year bumps!

Exciting news today, X Rebirth got another trailer and a final release date of November 15th, 2013! I cannot wait for this to come out, it looks excellent so far.

I'm still pretty blown away by the fact that they actually added explorable interiors to space stations. Granted, they are likely going to be cut-and-paste and relatively small, but it goes a long way to contributing to the immersion.

More bumps! The game that's been in development for 7 years has finally come out :D

Haven't gotten much of a chance to play it because of work, but I like what little I played of it so far. Performance is a bit of an issue, however this is pretty standard for new Egosoft releases.

Has anyone else picked this up? I'll probably post some more impressions later on tonight.

Back