Your Chair Is Killing You

VirusType2

Reaction score
"Short of sitting on a spike, you can't do much worse than a standard office chair"
"If you're standing around and puttering, you recruit specialized muscles designed for postural support that never tire," he says. "They're unique in that the nervous system recruits them for low-intensity activity and they're very rich in enzymes." One enzyme, lipoprotein lipase, grabs fat and cholesterol from the blood, burning the fat into energy while shifting the cholesterol from LDL (the bad kind) to HDL (the healthy kind). When you sit, the muscles are relaxed, and enzyme activity drops by 90% to 95%, leaving fat to camp out in the bloodstream. Within a couple hours of sitting, healthy cholesterol plummets by 20%.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/bw/1019b4177071221162

In short: Wii unfit.

Older people who move around have half the mortality rate of their peers. Frequent TV and Web surfers (sitters) have higher rates of hypertension, obesity, high blood triglycerides, low HDL cholesterol, and high blood sugar, regardless of weight.
Pretty damning indeed.

But let me guess, people that stand up all day at work also experience health problems? Joint, muscle, and knee/feet related problems? Everything you do has some kind of negative consequence. I spend a lot of time in my chair but I also exercise and lift weights.

Well that's unfortunate. *continues siting down in front of computer 24/7*

And zero g apparently has its own bone marrow ****ery. So the answer is...no gravity just for our asses?

Well... ****. Time to exercise.

[edit] After dinner. Which is pizza.

untitled_2.jpg

Try using an exercise ball for a chair. They work quite well, actually. Not only does it keep your back from being fatigued, it also helps to keep core stabilizer muscles toned.

Well, I do spend a lot of time sitting, and my cholesterol is pretty high despite having low weight. I have some genetic contribution to that though. Generally I either spend long periods working at my computer, or extended times standing in lab (like 4 hours straight of standing). My neck muscles have been screwed up for years. My old doctor mentioned it a couple of years ago, but I didn't find it noticeably sore at the time. Then I kinda triggered it by carrying a giant load of groceries home one day (it's always gotta be something stupid), so I went to a doctor who found exactly what muscles was screwed up. It's been 6 months now and every single time I push on those spots, they're still tensed up and sore.

Well, I do spend a lot of time sitting, and my cholesterol is pretty high despite having low weight. I have some genetic contribution to that though.
I do a lot of sitting - I work and play at a computer. Anyway, I've got hypertension. And I am slim as well. I don't think that really makes sense normally. But this study certainly would explain it.

I read in there that a bar-stool is much better as well. I've actually been meaning to try one for a while. I've been missing the classic Arcades that had bar-stools, man. Not that i didn't almost always prefer to stand.

I've got a stool at work, but most of the time I just try and stand. I've always felt lazy if I'm sitting all day.

Bar stools make my butt hurt, so I'd personally not go with that option :p.

OK, got out my bar stool. Yeah, this will be cool while I'm getting things done. It will also encourage me to get up and move around more often. Obviously I will get in the chair if I'll be at the computer for a while working or whatever.

Yeah, I'm going to have to get a cushion for this though.

Does it count as siting, if I'm squatting on the chair?
This way I can more efficiently **** up my body, damaging my ankles, back and neck at the same time. :LOL:

That is exactly the chair I need. My friend has one just like it, and it's the most comfortable thing ever to sit in, somehow.

It looks uncomfortable. Also if I sit for a long time on a chair that has no backrest I always tend to lean forward, in a hunched position.

My chair is so damn comfy though

/opens some oreos

But let me guess, people that stand up all day at work also experience health problems? Joint, muscle, and knee/feet related problems? Everything you do has some kind of negative consequence. I spend a lot of time in my chair but I also exercise and lift weights.

That's a poor justification for sitting your fat ass down all the time. While standing up all the time can't be incredibly good for you, taking breaks and walks and some decent excercise makes it hard for stuff like this to happen.

Just kidding about the first part
You fat ass

Well that's unfortunate. *continues siting down in front of computer 24/7*

This.
That is exactly the chair I need. My friend has one just like it, and it's the most comfortable thing ever to sit in, somehow.

Trust me, you'll get sick and tired of it in no time flat. My sister bought one a while ago. It's impossible to 'sit back and relax' and so it's terrible for any use over 20 minutes.

A spike would be an improvement compared to my chair.

I'm already morbidly obese so why me worry?

You think a chair will ****ing kill you? Meet me in a dark alley bitch

You're pretty screwed whatever you do, either it gives you cancer, gives you heart disease or gives you AIDS (well, just the unprotected butt seks)

So, the answer is work a meter or two underwater with neutral buoyancy?

I am not the healthy kind of person anyway

Scientists say something is bad for you in high enough exposures.

News at 11. T_T

Back