Your Favourite Strategy Games?

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
What are your favourite SGs?

One thing I don't like in games is units having too much damn health. Take Warcraft 3, it takes bloody ages for a battle to play out because everyone can take 30 blows to the head with an axe before dieing. Then C&C Generals, sure a rocket soldier takes ages to kill an infantryman but a quad canon can rip one apart in a second.

Some games are so damn slow. I remember having to wait something like loads and loads of turns to get ANYTHING. It was just annoying.

Populations limits are annoying, especially when you never seem to be able to get enough units.

I have mixed feeling about superweapons, in some games like Red Alert 2 they seem overly powerful because you have to have a base that is fairly close together meaning a nuke can do alot more damage than it does in Generals because at least in that you can spread out and rebuild more easily.

I like sides having variety, Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge had 3 sides, all very different from eachother but all good. While Age of Empires has the same bloody units for all sides with a few unique ones.

I'd say my favourite one is Generals: Zero Hour, followed by Advance Wars DS (Which is really wierd since all sides have the exact same units)

RA2
CoH
Rome Total War
C&C3 when released :D

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War 3, People's General, winSPMBT(Steel Panthers Main Battle Tank), X-Com series. I could go on forever because I'm a HUGE strategy fan having probably played like atleast 50+ strategy games :p I'm not that much of a RTS fan though, realistic tactical wargames like TOAW and the General series are more my cup of cake, because they're more like chess and I've had games that have taken up to two weeks to complete due to the micromanagement of several hundreds of units :D

Homeworld is genuinely the only Strategy game that will grip me time and time again. It's brilliant. I love how you can exceed the intended population limits by capturing enemy vessels. The third from last mission allowed you to grab your own fleet of about 100 Ion Cannon frigates :) Catacylsm had its moments too. Homeworld 2 is best left forgotten.

Aside from that, Strategy isn't actually my cup of tea. I suppose Darwinia counts. I like that. Oh, and I used to play split screen Settlers with a friend on his Amiga once. Good times :) (like the second game too, but the series' flaws are pretty massive. Slow, Slow, Slow!)

I like it when games actually simulate warfare in an interesting way, as opposed to the sort of artificial C&C 'build a base, build an army, fight' paradigm that generally dominates real-time strategy - turn-based, of course, is another kettle of fish entirely. I like Warcraft because it does the whole base-and-soldiers thing really well.

Ground Control (and 2) - dynamic, fun, well-designed, explosive.
Warcraft III - fast-paced, addictive, awesome mods, heroes.
Soldiers: Heroes of Blah Blah Blah - Good.
Advance Wars - actually tactical. Horribly engrossing.
Rome: Total War - the best strategy game that exists. Melds entirely plausible empire-management with brutal, intricate real-time bashing.

The C&C series, especially Red Alert (the first).

I'm not really a fan of strategy games nowadays though but I'm looking forward to Tiberium Wars.

My #1 Strategy game: Cossacks (8000 men armies in formation anyone? :D)
C&C
Red Alert
Dune

Population limits kills any Strategy game for me.

I see C&C and such..but no Starcraft?

StarCraft and Total Annihilation get my votes.

It's so sad, I'm like the only wargamer in these parts it seems :(

Civ !

Age of Empires 2 is another. In fact any strategy game that lets me take the easy way out and build my empire in peace wins. :thumbs:

Warcraft III
Starcraft - Of course
Age of Empires Series - I passed all my history classes because of this game!
The Total War Series

Civilization 4 and 3, Rome: Total War, Advance Wars(all), and Star Wars Empire at War, which was a slight rip-off of Rome, but with real time turns. Still fun though. Emporer turning fifty rebel soldiers on your side.. Dear God yes!

I guess I really like Generals and Advance Wars because (I always do this, make a post then expand upon it latter on when I should have just put in the first bloody post :p) because things change very quickly in them (Well, quickly considering AW is a turn-based game). It always seems to take a while to do things in Warcraft but the CO powers in AW and the Generals Abilities in Generals make it unpredicable sometimes. You think you've got the other guy down and then Sami activates her power and captures a load of building in one turn or in Generals you could be pounding someone with superweapons when a Burton or Auroras take out your power.

Starcraft - Need I say more?
Civilization - It's just different from the rest.

Shining Force 2. Without a doubt one of the best games I have ever played.

StarCraft and the Civilization series in general.

I guess Warcraft would be pretty high on my list too.

Shining Force 2. Without a doubt one of the best games I have ever played.

NoooO!! The first is INFINATELY better than the second! Sure, the 2nd one had a more user friendly menu, some different music, and better gfx all in all, but the story of the first one just kept me on the edge of my seat....well..as the edge as a Genesis RPG could get ya.
Now I want to play them again, **** you.

1.StarCraft
2.Homeworld 2
3.Rome:Total War
4.C&C:Generals

Personally, I can't wait for Blizzard's upcoming cook-off simulator, starring dozens of realistically modelled celebrity chefs, incorporating an expansive list of ingredients and a custom sauce system, and even real-time simmering - Stircraft!

Personally, I can't wait for Blizzard's upcoming cook-off simulator, starring dozens of realistically modelled celebrity chefs, incorporating an expansive list of ingredients and a custom sauce system, and even real-time simmering - Stircraft!

Personally i can't wait for StarCraft 2 or StarCraft:Ghost(it was canceled i've heard).
CooK-Off simulator?

DEFCON!!!

I can never stick with a strategy game for too long because I have quite a short attention span. Once I leave a strategy game, I never return. R: TW is sitting on my shelf gathering dust, having never played past the first half an hour or so.

I'm serious fan of C&C (and owner of awesome First Decade pack) and my favourite C&C game is Generals (with Zero Hour) followed by first Red Alert (not second, it's too crazy for me). Now I'm obsessed by DEFCON and looking forward to C&C Tiberium Wars!
Beside that I'm not big fan of strategy games.

Oh wow. Someone finally agrees with me about Red Alert 1 > Red Alert 2. I really disliked the crazy stuff.

Oh, and I used to play split screen Settlers with a friend on his Amiga once. Good times :)

Memories are flooding back in after you mentioned that and that

However I enjoyed TA for a time, until the dreaded losing the CD incident :x

Supreme Commander will be my new poison when that comes out

Oh wow. Someone finally agrees with me about Red Alert 1 > Red Alert 2. I really disliked the crazy stuff.

Probs would be the same for me, but i played RA2 first so that was what i first loved!

TA Spring
Total Annihilation
Company of Heroes
Homeworld 1 and 2
Starcraft

Civ series. I am a veteran, have been playing those games for 10 years. And as of recently, I am also involved in the development.

It's just my favorite game series, period. Fantastic replayability. I've spent thousands of hours, I guess, in these years, and am certainly not going to stop playing Civ anytime soon. Although, of course, I take breaks now and then.

starcraft and company of heroes

This is the order I got into RTS; Dune II, C&C, Warcraft 1, TA and so on.

Total Annihilation is by far my favourite.

Warcraft 2
Rise of Nations
Wargames (Wish it worked on XP... Haven't played in soooo long)
SHoWW2
Company of Heroes

Red Alert 2. Prism tower blast! *POW*

WarCraft III: Very awesome RTS, great story, great gameplay, great visuals, lots of mods etc

StarCraft: What can I say, easily the greatest RTS. Stunning gameplay. awesome story, memorable characters. great score. great sound overall, unique visuals, this is as good as they get.

CnC Generals: This game has something that the old CnC's didnt, but it is a very good game.

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War 3, People's General, winSPMBT(Steel Panthers Main Battle Tank), X-Com series. I could go on forever because I'm a HUGE strategy fan having probably played like atleast 50+ strategy games :p I'm not that much of a RTS fan though, realistic tactical wargames like TOAW and the General series are more my cup of cake, because they're more like chess and I've had games that have taken up to two weeks to complete due to the micromanagement of several hundreds of units :D

How about Combat Mission (2 and 3)?

If im not playing the uber-realism-tactical-cunningness of those two, you cant go far wrong with a bit of C&C (not generals though).

Back