ZDay 2011 this month (mainly 12th, 13th) (not the game)

Naudian

Tank
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm just posting this to raise awareness! Though it's a bit late with this thing only a few days away...

ZDAY or "Zeitgeist Day" is an annual global event to spread awareness about real problems and possible solutions. The gist is mainly about the defective monetary economy, and why we need to think about a transition into a "resource-based economy", in the aim of achieving a sustainable and prosperous civilization on Earth.

A Zday event can consist of anything from a screening/handout of DVDs, to exhibits, lectures, and question/answer sessions hosted by chapter organizers. Also food and music and stuff. So if you have nothing to do this weekend, check it out if you can...btw the London main event is sold out.

Scroll down to the googlemap to see if there's an event near you. Click the marker for info & date.

Also...
What is the Zeitgeist movement?
What is The Venus Project?

Anyway, enough of that. Personally, HL2.net, I don't expect you to join a chapter or buy a t-shirt. All I wish is for you to research and understand these topics on your own time, and maybe talk about it with your peers. By doing that, you are a part of the growing movement away from insanity, and I don't mean TZM. The whole world is trying to move in a saner direction, and I think abandoning the monetary system will be a key factor, among other things. The next few decades are looking pretty exciting if you ask me. Let's make sure we stop the current system from distorting social values and f*cking up our future any further.

Love Zeitgeist.

However the biggest problem facing 'change' in the greater global society is the prevalence of public apathy.

^ Yup. I wonder if a generation of suffering due to a collapsed system would alleviate that problem...

I don't really believe it will come to that though. I like to think that coming generations will be different, but it's up to our generation to make sure of that. This is why education and global awareness is important, even if it seems futile right now.

BUT THIS IS JUST CRAZY CONSPIRACY BULLSHIT NAUDIAN HOW YOU EVER EVEN THINK OUTSIDE OF OUR PREDETERMINED CONVENTIONS SICKENS ME.

Also I kind of want the big dramatic downfall and collapse of society, buildings, lives etc. but that's just crazy ol' me.

When are the zeitgeist people actually going to start doing anything, like building a resourced based town.

I'll think outside our 'predetermined conventions' of prices when I see a practical working alternative.

We are Humans. It's in our nature to not do shit until it's too late.

No, it isn't.

It's just deep down no one takes this idea seriously.

Nahh. People always bang on about how we need to change, the way we consume resources, the way we pollute and destroy our planet, the failings of our societal systems currently in place etc. etc. etc.

We're constantly being warned our future generations will suffer but do most of us do anything about it? No. There are groups and movements and people taking note but the majority and the people who hold power? No.

We'll simply carry on the way we are, the way which is most convenient for us until more serious consequences arise, at which point we will go "Whoops! Turns out we messed some shit up, our bad!" and then we'll start changing stuff.

It's because we don't have a viable alternative. There is no single underlying flaw in our society, that if we correct, everything will be fine. The fact is, there are far too many people on the planet and there is no easy way to address that problem.

The people who think marxism, is a solution to the flaws of capitalism are not visionaries, they're crackpots and the majority of people understand this.

Didn't Karl Marx himself say something at one point that was basically along the lines of Marxism being nice in theory but probably not great in practice? Trying to remember my Sociology seminars from College 3 years ago. I could be wrong.

Anyway, while there's no viable alternatives to some things there are to others that we could probably implement but won't because it's more work.

You can probably tell I lack a lot of faith in humanity.

When is TZM going to do something?

I agree that a demonstration city of some sort is absolutely crucial. There's much debate among zeitgeisters over how to go about it, or whether it should even be a priority. It's frustrating, all they need is a little organization among a handful of capable members, and if they were to keep at it, seeking support and funding, a demonstration project could appear sometime in the next decade. So while it might not be a movement-wide priority, some members are definitely aware of the necessity, and I have no doubt that some are working towards it.

Like Stylo said, people are already aware that things are f*ed up, but how many do you think have heard of a resource-based economy? Maybe a couple million out of the hundreds of millions that want change? How many do you think actually understand RBE in any depth? I would say several thousand at most. So the movement-wide priority is just getting the damn info out there. And fortunately, many members do realize that a demonstration project would be invaluable for that goal, by giving people something to actually look at, in order to understand the concept and realize the viability. I wont go into why it's debated.

It's easy to think "oh humanity is lazy and wont do shit until it's too late", but so what, I'm going to continue pushing a RBE while I try to survive in the current system. You could do the same without much effort.

It's because we don't have a viable alternative. There is no single underlying flaw in our society, that if we correct, everything will be fine. The fact is, there are far too many people on the planet and there is no easy way to address that problem.

The people who think marxism, is a solution to the flaws of capitalism are not visionaries, they're crackpots and the majority of people understand this..
That is a lame post, so here is a lame response:

RBE is a viable alternative.

There are major flaws in our society, which involve money, ownership, and ego. It goes beyond the flaws of capitalism. No one is saying everything will be fine, but we could fix a lot of problems.

The planet can support all 7 billion of us if we connect, educate each other, and utilize current tech & ingenuity. Overpopulation is only a problem because we are failing to do this.

This is not equivalent to Marxism, though it shares some concepts.

Majority opinion is not a real measure of truth.

I wish I could just throw you a pdf that covered the whole shebang in detail, but I haven't written it yet :p

Edit: Jacque Fresco does plan to build a "test city," but not an actual city with a population or anything. It's purpose is for research and development of RBE/TVP technology, to demonstrate current tech and obviously the RBE concept. It would be kind of a theme-park environment. Probably a more realistic goal than building an actual city at this point in time.

Until I see how they actually plan to solve the economic calculation problem, energy secuirty and the overpopulation problem in detail (being 'scientific and efficient' isn't an answer), the zeitgeist movement will remain a quasi-marxist technocratic fantasy to me.

Seriously, I think you're, venturing down the wrong rabbit hole. Alex jones style cranks are wrong 99% of the time, and the guy who started zeitgeist is definietly a crank.

Well thanks for your serious concern, but like I was saying earlier, this particular rabbit hole is just one arm of a much broader humanitarian movement around the world, imo. This direction is building up potential, and I see the zeitgeist movement as a focal point for action, concentrating all the global chatter into a practical set of understandings and goals, and eventually real plans and methods.

I understand why you want to see specific details of solutions. Guess what, they're still in development! People who understand the movement are actually working on solutions instead of sitting back and pointing them out, and results are taking shape, if you cared to look for them. (did you see my post in the other thread about ECP?)

No, they don't have all the detailed answers and plans in one convenient package - it doesn't really work like that. People first have to come together and share their knowledge and ideas. On that note, one thing they really need to do is upgrade the damn website, it could function as so much more than a bogged down forum.

I could pick holes in the zeitgesit movement till the cows come home, but I do agree with the underlying sentiment that we're on an unsustainable path to a second dark ages, unless we do something.

I just think you/I/we should be focusing on more practical short term steps, like Transition towns, living off the grid, and urban farming. We should be educating people about the problems facing western civilisation, rather than a particular grandiose solution, that will frankly scare people away.

All those steps you mentioned fit perfectly into what the movement is about.

Naturally, there's tons of talk within TZM about what we can do in the short-term. And you're right, short-term solutions should be a bigger part of the ZM message, because the grand vision does put people off. I have no doubt that many zeitgeisters realize that and have adjusted their approach.

Yes, we should be educating about problems, TZM has that covered. Yes, short-term solutions are more important than the long-term vision, but I think it makes sense to talk about both. For every bunch of people that reject it, there are always a few that understand and become involved in the movement, in whatever way they choose.

Personally, what I really want to do is work on energy solutions. I have my eye on HHO generators, magnet motors, "rodin/starship" coils, all kinds of bizarre stuff, as well as Nocera's solar technology: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3HNrAGWoAI

Back