Zeno Clash: Unofficial/Official Thread

I basically had no interest in this game - nor any real knowledge - until reading the RPS review (oh, those crazy kooks...it's nice to have all my favourite ex-PCG bods together on one website). Now I've preordered the game.

Another review is up here.

I would expect some more to be going up today/tomorow depending on where you live.

The RPS review made me go :D thinking about this game, sounds pretty sweet and the art style is to die for!

20 mins to go here, but I think the servers are on Pacific time here so I may have to download overnight and play in the morning

Says the game won't release in another 4 hours.
That means it will be released at 2 PM here.

What the **** is the point of the 24 hour preload then??

/pissed.

Can't say it was remotely on my game radar at all, but the RPS review piqued my interest so I pre-ordered it. It definitely has the weird French sci-fi vibe to it judging by the trailers (though less boobies...).

(though less bobbies...)

bbt.jpg

dammit, work called today and I have to work, but at least I can play it for a little bit considering I asked if I could come in later than usual.

I feel like i should have got this when it was $10. Brushed it off back when it was announced.

I have not beaten it, but impressions so far-

Atmosphere and characters, very cool.

Combat, slow at first but gets fun and addicting.

Voice acting, pretty terrible, but that is not a surprise.

Other problems, directions on how to do a new move (that you must do in training in order to continue) are vague as HECK.
Also, No jumping, which feels weird.

That's my Comedian avatar you ****.

I'm sorry, who are you again? I couldn't remember because I was too busy thinking about what a more dedicated Watchmen fan I was.

Voice acting is okay, not terrible. I love bird character's voice.

I've only played the first 20 minutes or so, but its a pretty cool/unique game. The art style is fukin awesome, so its cool just to see what weird shit you'll see next. :thumbs:

I beat the game in 2 hours, 48 minutes. There're many questions left unanswered.

Are there staggered release dates or something? I've preloaded but it's now Wed 22nd and apparently the game's still unreleased.

Have you tried restarting Steam?

The lock on mechanic is so bad and frustrating IMO

Finished the game.

Very impressive considering that it was a first title indie game, and considering how many people worked on this.

If you go into this comparing it to bigger titles (Half-Life, etc) you will obviously be disappointed. If you go into it comparing it to the large majority of indie titles (especially first games) you will be very impressed.
That is something you have to really understand when playing this game, that the average person does not.
The story itself isn't something I'll replay any time soon, but the "tower" challenges are definitely fun for just ass kicking fun.

Gameplay
- Fun, enjoyable, and unique, but with one big flaw, lock-on mechanic. I've been on the Zeno Clash boards lately and they are taking serious consideration into giving players the option to alter this because it is a frustratingly difficult mechanic at times.

Story- Simple but good, I was hoping for more depth, but it was simple and enjoyable in a Dark Children's Fairy-Tale kind of way IE: The Labrynth.
There is still a good part of the story left open however.

Characters-
The characters are all very cool, and the female partner was not nearly as annoying as I had expected.
Father-Mother is excellent and creepy, and I also love Oximeter and what happens with him.
I was surprised how very flamboyant Hunter was, reminded me a lot of the homosexual assassin guy, Rogan from Ricky-Oh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ0-aw-H2oA
That was awesome in a hilarious gay ninja kind of way for me, though I expected him to have a more Boba Fett personality.

Dialogue/Voice acting- Not great, but I've heard way worse, it's alright. Father-Mother's voice is definitely my favorite.

I'd give it a 8/10 (That's a very generous score for me btw) If you like indie games, you'll probably love this. If you are a prick and compare it to most games (big titles), you wont.

I love it - it's so ****ing weird. I agree about the lock on - it's clunky at best. I really don't see the need for it either. Otherwise the game's great fun.

I know it's not a long game so I'm taking my time with this one, but the first 20 minutes or so were pretty impressive. The fighting takes some getting used to (I really need to get into blocking more...) but overall it's ok. There didn't seem to be a great deal of range to it, but the sheer freakiness of the opponents makes up for it. Love the vibe to it all, its like something out of Heavy Metal :LOL:

Will there be a retail version or will dial-uppers get shit on again by steam?

I doubt it, a game like zeno clash wouldn't fare to well at retail. Unless it sells well or is packaged into something like the orange box.

Goddamn, I wish I could play this. Maybe if they do well enough, they'll make it into an arcade game on xbox live. How much memory does the game use?

Playing it a second time I actually appreciate it a lot more than I did the first time.

Goddamn, I wish I could play this. Maybe if they do well enough, they'll make it into an arcade game on xbox live. How much memory does the game have?
size you mean?
3164 mb

Also that would be awesome if they brought it to xbla and psn

Well the gameplay is tough the first time, so I'd say it took me like 6ish hours after dying so much.

Then you can do all those tower things as well.

I really need to hook up my old PC sometime, although I think most of my gaming will be on the 360.

Will there be a retail version or will dial-uppers get shit on again by steam?

If you live in eastern Europe or want a russian version you could buy retail. Otherwise no.

The more I play the more I love the Zeno Clash World. I especially like the Corwid. The gameplay is ropey though. The lock on system is rubbish and the melee, while workable, is average at best. It's still well worth picking up just to see the crazy world.

Zeno Clash would be awesome with a Wiimote/Nunchuck.

No. It would not, it would be extremely tiresome.

You are wrong :p

Give it Corruption controls - which handled locking on much, much better - add a few simple swipe movements for whacking, and you'd have something that poos on the clunky and poorly implemented controls we have now.

I'm not bashing Zeno Clash btw - it's great fun and beautiful to look at. What were they thinking with the locking on tho??

Back