A few questions about Canada...

My view of Canada is probably different from the rest of the whole country. Vancouver's basically a trendier, more expensive, and more diverse Seattle. We have drug dealers. We have shit drivers who cuss and finger you. We have homeless who haggle and swear at you. I have met some of the most racist people living here.

My point is, it's not any different from my experience with the States except for the fact were a bit less... competitive, culturally ? It feels less like capitalism here, I guess.

sorry about the off topicness,
but, as a Canadian, i find myself appologising again.
in summation, we are a kind and peaceful bunch o' lads (and very hot lassies)

My view of Canada is probably different from the rest of the whole country. Vancouver's basically a trendier, more expensive, and more diverse Seattle. We have drug dealers. We have shit drivers who cuss and finger you. We have homeless who haggle and swear at you. I have met some of the most racist people living here.

My point is, it's not any different from my experience with the States except for the fact were a bit less... competitive, culturally ? It feels less like capitalism here, I guess.

this was my main point in answering the question about the crime and such.
we really dont have a lot except in Toronto and Vancouver.
Toronto= wannabe New York
Vancouver=wannabe Seattle

I was looking into the requirements a while back, and from the smallish amount I read, it seemed a bit tricky to get approved unless you had some kind of desirable skill. If you did, you just had to live and work there for 2 years to become a citizen.

I just couldn't deal with the coldness, though.

How are people treated on basis of skin color? In other words, are mainstream Canadians super, slightly, or only quasi-racist?
Generally, Canadians are much less racist than Americans. Of course there's exceptions, but I don't think we've ever had anyone ever accuse our government of not caring about black people. Quebec is a little bit different, they're very uptight about their cultural values and tend not to like anyone that isn't a French Catholic. There's been a few issues with towns in Quebec trying to ban Muslims...

Is it difficult to immigrate to Canada?
I'm not really sure on this one... I believe it's easier than immigrating into the states but don't quote me. Our customs are a lot more lax than American's.

Are Canadians mostly liberal or conservative? (According to Wiki, 50% of the population is Catholic...)
Far more liberal than Americans. We have no death penalty, stricter gun laws, public health care and certainly less hatred towards gay people. Out government has also participate in every UN peacekeeping mission since our former Prime Minister helped to found the UN. Our current federal government is the Conservative Party, but that is only really because of the Liberal Party's former government stealing a lot of money... And it looks like the Conservatives are going to stay because the Liberal Party elected a leader that can barely speak English, he's a very intelligent man but most English Canadians won't vote for a Prime Minister who only really speaks French fluently. Our other two largest parties are the New Democratic Party, who are our most left wing party. They currently control about 10% of the House of Commons (though the received about 18% of the vote... stupid Canadian electoral system...) and are good for pushing individual issues but they really lack any kind of overall plan so they would be near useless if they formed the government... Finally we have the Bloc Qu?b?cois who are a separatist party representing Quebec, they have no real political alignment because their stance on every issue is to let Quebec separate... They currently hold 51 seats (17% of the House) but only received 11% of the vote...

Are teh wimminz hot?
We're less fat than Americans... Usually.

Are people friendly?
Very much so in most places, the maritimes are renowned for it. Trying to drive in Quebec is a nightmare... And Vancouver and Toronto aren't the greatest places in the world. I work at the London Convention Centre and often get comments from American visitors on how friendly and polite Canadians are.

How hot is it in the summer?
It gets close to 40 degrees Celsius down here in South-Western Ontario in the summer, and even way up in Yellowknife it gets up to the mid-20s in the heat of summer.

Is there a marked social class difference?
Again less so than the States. Toronto has a rather large homeless population but Canadian minimum wage is higher than the American and with our dollar booming it stands out even more.

Are guns prohibited by law?
Carrying a weapon in public is. It's not horribly difficult to get rifles and shotguns for hunting or sport shooting, but there's a fair bit of paperwork to do. Canadians are less gung-ho about guns than Americans.

How peaceful are the communities (is there robbery, rape, murder, etc)
Murders always make the front page. Most cities are very safe, but as usual Toronto and Vancouver aren't great. But they're still safer than American cities of equal size.

Where is the French-speaking area?
Quebec and New Brunswick. Apart from those areas most Canadians don't speak much French. Montreal is really a great cultural hub, they currently have an indie music scene comparable to the former Seattle grunge scene.

Back