A machine that can see into the future!

Tr0n

Reaction score
DEEP in the basement of a dusty university library in Edinburgh lies a small black box, roughly the size of two cigarette packets side by side, that churns out random numbers in an endless stream.

At first glance it is an unremarkable piece of equipment. Encased in metal, it contains at its heart a microchip no more complex than the ones found in modern pocket calculators.

But, according to a growing band of top scientists, this box has quite extraordinary powers. It is, they claim, the 'eye' of a machine that appears capable of peering into the future and predicting major world events.

The machine apparently sensed the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Centre four hours before they happened - but in the fevered mood of conspiracy theories of the time, the claims were swiftly knocked back by sceptics. But last December, it also appeared to forewarn of the Asian tsunami just before the deep sea earthquake that precipitated the epic tragedy.

Now, even the doubters are acknowledging that here is a small box with apparently inexplicable powers.

'It's Earth-shattering stuff,' says Dr Roger Nelson, emeritus researcher at Princeton University in the United States, who is heading the research project behind the 'black box' phenomenon...

Would you like to know more?

(Yes I did steal that line from starship troopers)

People can see patterns in anything.

YOU STOLE THAT FR-- Oh wait, nevermind.

ne0_shiny said:
wtf...how can a microchip tell the future...
Send one of the professors studying it an e-mail. :LOL:

If you read the article they are trying to figure out how it does it.

Come on seriously...

Roger Nelson said:
We may be able to predict that a major world event is going to happen. But we won't know exactly what will happen or where it's going to happen.

o_O

Shens said:
Come on seriously...

o_O
Hey dude you never know...this world is weird like that.

It's funny how you're the first one to jump on it. :LOL:

I was expecting the very scientific people on these forums to jump on it first.

Tr0n said:
Hey dude you never know...this world is weird like that.

It's funny how you're the first one to jump on it. :LOL:

I was expecting the very scientific people on these forums to jump on it first.

It's because I read it on the SA forums a few days ago..

*twiddles thumbs*

Shens said:
People can see patterns in anything.
Ya but the patterns don't seem to be following anything random. They really do seem to follow major world events.

Using the internet, he connected up 40 random event generators from all over the world to his laboratory computer in Princeton. These ran constantly, day in day out, generating millions of different pieces of data. Most of the time, the resulting graph on his computer looked more or less like a flat line.

But then on September 6, 1997, something quite extraordinary happened: the graph shot upwards, recording a sudden and massive shift in the number sequence as his machines around the world started reporting huge deviations from the norm. The day was of historic importance for another reason, too.

For it was the same day that an estimated one billion people around the world watched the funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales at Westminster Abbey.
For during the course of the experiment, the Eggs have 'sensed' a whole series of major world events as they were happening, from the Nato bombing of Yugoslavia to the Kursk submarine tragedy to America's hung election of 2000.

The Eggs also regularly detect huge global celebrations, such as New Year's Eve.

But the project threw up its greatest enigma on September 11, 2001.

As the world stood still and watched the horror of the terrorist attacks unfold across New York, something strange was happening to the Eggs.

Not only had they registered the attacks as they actually happened, but the characteristic shift in the pattern of numbers had begun four hours before the two planes even hit the Twin Towers.

They had, it appeared, detected that an event of historic importance was about to take place before the terrorists had even boarded their fateful flights. The implications, not least for the West's security services who constantly monitor electronic 'chatter', are clearly enormous.

Tr0n said:
Damn...
Everytime I ask an 8-ball a question it tells me to **** off.... ;(

My 8-ball is weird, it keeps hitting on me.

:|

burnzie said:
My 8-ball is weird, it keeps hitting on me.

:|
Hell if I was the 8-ball I would be too....

Mmmm...Sechs later?

Well anyone skeptical of this device?

If so please explain why.

*prods* come on, back on topic. Cause if you don't... *shakes fist*

edit: thanks tr0n :p
edit2: I don't really know what to think about this device.. It's a weird idea that machines can be influenced by our thoughts. There's too prominent a pattern in it for it to be a conicidence, I think.

quit interupting my sechs life!!!

lol im sorry shippi. In all honesty people will make somthing out of nothing... random numbers cannot predict the future.

Well they ain't exactly saying it does that...

Thats why they are studying it to see if it actually is doing it, but I mean come on guys they got some of the worlds best professors studying it.

Random numbers turn me on in ways you couldn't possibly imagine...

'We're very early on in the process of trying to figure out what's going on here. At the moment we're stabbing in the dark.' Dr Nelson's investigations, called the Global Consciousness Project, were originally hosted by Princeton University and are centred on one of the most extraordinary experiments of all time. Its aim is to detect whether all of humanity shares a single subconscious mind that we can all tap into without realising.

And machines like the Edinburgh black box have thrown up a tantalising possibility: that scientists may have unwittingly discovered a way of predicting the future.

Although many would consider the project's aims to be little more than fools' gold, it has still attracted a roster of 75 respected scientists from 41 different nations. Researchers from Princeton - where Einstein spent much of his career - work alongside scientists from universities in Britain, the Netherlands, Switzerland and Germany. The project is also the most rigorous and longest-running investigation ever into the potential powers of the paranormal.

Everything is pretty much up in the air...most of those scientist actually think it could be possible it does predict the future in some extent.

Oh and thanks shippi....I was just about to reach my orga....*cough*.Nvm..

I guess we will continue our sechs tomorrow mmmkkkk burnzie?

It's skynet!!!! OMG PULL THE PLUG, PULL THE PLUG!!!!

Arnold schwarzenegger will come to get us!

I dont get how it could possibly tell the future through random numbers, but I guess the universe works in mysterious ways.

though I do believe in the underlying "group consciousness" mentioned near the end, and always have. This is very interesting.

I believe this device could potentially foresee the future. I also somewhat believe in remote viewing. There is so much we don't know in this world. The mysteries of the mind is also a sackgrasper. Our dreams, OBE, lucid dreaming, alot of things we can't explain happens all the time. There is a possibilty that we are connected through a collective conscience, able to take info from it to maybe forsee the future or look into the past. I believe within our lifetime we will get to find out alot of things about mind. Bah, I'm rambling...

So much for skepticism, tron ;), maybe some other would take on that challenge.

I don't understand how random numbers can predict the future.
Then again, I still don't understand pi.

First of all, all that sex talk is rather nauseating. Go grab a tissue or something and deal with it in the only way you know how.

Second of all... I call bullshit!

It didn't register anything of significance on the day of September 30th 2003. The day that shook the world.

So. Please forgive me if I don't believe that it does jack at all.

Raziaar said:

It didn't register anything of significance on the day of September 30th 2003. The day that shook the world.

September 30th 2003?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_2003

Nothing that important....

edit: Damn. HL2.

Shutup.

Raziaar said:
So uhh what happened then?

Raziaar said:
First of all, all that sex talk is rather nauseating. Go grab a tissue or something and deal with it in the only way you know how.

Thats the best you can come up with? :|

Hell most of the world didn't know about hl2 let alone cared.

This is the part where scientists can start work on proving the existence of God...

Tr0n said:
Thats the best you can come up with? :|

Hell most of the world didn't know about hl2 let alone cared.

Please don't tell me you're taking what I said seriously?

By the way. You got pwned(I feel dirty) Shens and Kommie!

Ohhh here i was thinking it was an event of importance... Silly me

Raziaar said:
Please don't tell me you're taking what I said seriously?

By the way. You got pwned(I feel dirty) Shens and Kommie!
Well I'm sorry!It's kinda hard to detect sarcasm through text. :|

Also yes kommie and shens was Razowned. :LOL:

Razowned...I like that...

Well any acutal skeptics out there willing to prove that this thing is bullshit?

LittleB said:
This is the part where scientists can start work on proving the existence of God...

Well. If god is all powerful, and doesn't want to be 'proven', in order to keep in tact the thing called faith that lets people believe in him on their own without his proven presence shaping their will... then if he's so all powerful, then I would think he wouldn't be able to be proven no matter what by whatever attempts tried. Heh.

Well I'm sorry!It's kinda hard to detect sarcasm through text.

It wasn't sarcasm. It was more like very subtle humor.

Danimal said:
Please don't steal it like my rhowned line :|
Bah I ain't gonna steal it.

Now get back on-topic bitchs!

Erm, yes...

Something about butt secks in the future on HL2?

Tr0n said:
Bah I ain't gonna steal it.

Now get back on-topic bitchs!
Yes sir!, uhh magic box... numbers... THE FUTURE..kitty cat.... september 30th.

I really doubt its validity, but I find the Idea of group consciousness to be quite possible.

Back