Avatar: FernGully 2: Pocahontas Dances With Smurfs In Space In 3D On Ice

avatar is officially the mainstream phenomenon of the year: my dad told me he was "planning to maybe see this avatar film. you need 3d glasses to watch it right?"

Did you guys just change the name on my suggestion? I am incredibly honored, gentlemen. Thank you. I also wholeheartedly approve of the additions. Seriously. I'm sure it's visually stunning, I've never contested that, but from what I've seen and read, the plot just sounds really uninspired and unoriginal.

Is that better or worse than being a "big fat phony"?

good lord i can't believe i just made a family guy reference what the **** is wrong with me
I'm tired of your shit, talking down to people like me who think it will be entertaining. Oh look! I said "ENTERTAINING" Not enlightening.

I know what originality is, and while I agree the story isn't that original, that should never be the soul deciding factor for whether a movie is good or not. You can have an original story and have the movie be complete crap. But look at movies like Star Trek, District 9 and Iron Man. They were all visually-oriented blockbuster movies with fairly unoriginal stories, but the storytelling was executed quite well, and the visuals were amazing for all three. I know tons of people were screaming "ALIEN NATION, ALIEN NATION" when D-9 came out, but what do you expect to get out that? I just find it ****ing annoying.

If you're going to attack me for my taste in the movie, lets compare some other movies we've both recently seen. Here's my list:

The Conversation - Coppola
Crimes and Misdemeanors - Allen
The Third Man - Reed
Citizen Kane - Welles
Blood Simple - Coen Bros

I shouldn't even have to justify my taste to you, but I've had with everyone who can't stop yowling about how terrible this movie is and then attacking those who don't agree. I wish staff members like you and some older members could be a little more mature about this, but maybe that's just too much to ask.

Seriously. I'm sure it's visually stunning, I've never contested that, but from what I've seen and read, the plot just sounds really uninspired and unoriginal.

you mean like the terminator 1/2?

you mean like the terminator 1/2?

Ahem. T1 and T2 had Ahnold spouting some of the finest one-liners of his career. Avatar? They'd put that stuff in the trailer, man, you know they would, meaning there aren't any, or they aren't that good. And nothing, nothing, is sadder than a one liner that falls flat.

I will also admit for full disclosure that I find this particular cliche of the Noble Savages resisting the White Man eye-rolling.

Little known fact: Bill Paxton has appeared in Aliens, Terminator, and Predator 2. He is the only man to have gone against all three of modern cinema's most famous monsters.

No, Lance Henriksen has also done so. Terminator, Aliens (+ Alien3) and AvP.

Shit, you're right! I totally forgot. He was the detective in T1, wasn't he? Thank you, Eejit. That reminds me. I've been wanting to change my sig for a while...

Lance Henriksen was also originally considered for the role of the T-100. No such luck, but he was then made a robot in Aliens.

Freaky shit.

I will also admit for full disclosure that I find this particular cliche of the Noble Savages resisting the White Man eye-rolling.

Seeing as the humans seem to be fairly believable and not ridiculously blinded by belief of their own superiority, based on what I've seen, I disagree.

Also, I knew your post was based off a preceding one and holy shit, confusing Family Guy with Catcher in the Rye, what the hell man.

I'm tired of your shit, talking down to people like me who think it will be entertaining. Oh look! I said "ENTERTAINING" Not enlightening.

I know what originality is, and while I agree the story isn't that original, that should never be the soul deciding factor for whether a movie is good or not. You can have an original story and have the movie be complete crap. But look at movies like Star Trek, District 9 and Iron Man. They were all visually-oriented blockbuster movies with fairly unoriginal stories, but the storytelling was executed quite well, and the visuals were amazing for all three. I know tons of people were screaming "ALIEN NATION, ALIEN NATION" when D-9 came out, but what do you expect to get out that? I just find it ****ing annoying.

If you're going to attack me for my taste in the movie, lets compare some other movies we've both recently seen. Here's my list:

The Conversation - Coppola
Crimes and Misdemeanors - Allen
The Third Man - Reed
Citizen Kane - Welles
Blood Simple - Coen Bros

I shouldn't even have to justify my taste to you, but I've had with everyone who can't stop yowling about how terrible this movie is and then attacking those who don't agree. I wish staff members like you and some older members could be a little more mature about this, but maybe that's just too much to ask.

I don't know why you'd think I care about any other movies you'd like - and I haven't seen any of those, so I'm not sure what your game here is. Are you really suggesting that I should believe you that Avatar will be good because you watch quality films, because that's pretty silly. I don't know why you're attempting to defend your taste to me in the first place.

Samon is going to drag me to the theatre against my will to see this. I hope it's good, I do. But everything I've seen / heard about it makes me find it unlikely. I have to confess I haven't been impressed with Cameron in recent years (particularly since having read his awful script for Spider-Man). I don't think it's a matter of originality. You can have something similar, but still wonderful enough to stand on its own feet. My impression of this movie from trailers etc so far is that it's bland and filled with cliches.

You do know that family guy reference was actually a reference to catcher in the rye right? o_O

I know but I thought it in the voice of the guy from family guy, not Holden. :(

You assholes better give me credit for the ferngully comparison. I made it first!

Guys, it just occurred to me, this movie is exactly like FernGully.

You wanna know what the sad thing is? There actually is a FernGully 2. Concerning it's quality, let's just say that you haven't heard about it for a reason...

Alright, I'm done being angry and pissed off. I won't say anymore until I see the film.

Well, A) We're allowed to yowl about how bad it will be just as much as others are allowed to yowl about how good it will be

and B) With the exception of Yorick, nobody else here has "attacked" those who don't agree. And Yorick only attacked you, which you should have come to expect ages ago. Thats pretty much the only way he knows how to speak.

Samon: Did you read what Cameron called his rare element in Avatar?
Samon: The one the bad guys want to obtain?
Samon: Unobtanium.
Samon: That's right.
Samon: Unobtanium.

I rest my case.

It's entirely plausible that the material would be given that name in-universe given its properties. You're just hating for the sake of it. :rolleyes:

Unobtanium is a better name than Elerium 115 or whatever the alternative would be.

If you read the article you linked, the term unobtanium is used primarily when describing something broad, or theorising. It is used as a description or a filler.

"If I read the article I linked"? Are you being patronising enough?
Hell, the article gives a nice real-world parallel:
Unobtainium is also used for materials that are practical and really exist, but are difficult to get. For example, during the development and service period of the SR-71 Blackbird spy plane, engineers working for Lockheed Corporation at the Skunk Works used the term unobtainium as a dysphemism for titanium. This was not because of the radical decision to use the untried new material, but because at the time the Soviets were cornering the market in this material and were careful not to allow the American military to get hold of it.

And from the scriptment:
Pandora is
blessed with a naturally occurring substance a million
times more precious than gold. Its joke name of
"unobtanium" has stuck, over the years. Unobtanium is a
rare-earth mineral, formed volcanically, which is a room-
temperature superconductor.

I think Cameron punched Yorick at some point in life.

Ahem. T1 and T2 had Ahnold spouting some of the finest one-liners of his career. Avatar? They'd put that stuff in the trailer, man, you know they would, meaning there aren't any, or they aren't that good. And nothing, nothing, is sadder than a one liner that falls flat.
the point is Cameron's films don't seem very inventive or original to begin with if you make your judgement based on the plot summary. Cameron's films are comprised of rather simple ingredients but instead of reinventing the wheel, they perfect existing concepts. he doesn't try to explore human psychology through complex existentialist themes or the duality of man. leave that shit to Kubrick.

the terminators are about cyborgs/half assed robots from the future who try to either destroy the world or prevent this from happening. they're basically just a really long chase scene, but they work, because the simple plot perfectly serves its purpose, and they don't go over the top. imagine Michael Bay directing a Terminator film: not one, not two, but 5000 terminators that clash in a modern day metropolis and they have to be disposed of with nukes. also instead of John Connor, there would've been Jolene Connor, a 19 year old college chick who hates her parents and falls in love with a machine.

imagine Michael Bay directing a Terminator film: not one, not two, but 5000 terminators that clash in a modern day metropolis and they have to be disposed of with nukes.
You mean like how Salvation SHOULD have been?

a michael bay terminator would have been inifnitely better than the POS we got this year :(

oh yea that Salvation film. I had completely forgotten its existence.

Saw this yesterday.

Was a lot of fun, but it really is just The Last Samurai with Cats and an extra battle scene. The CGI though, is pretty much ****ing amazing with the exception of Sigourney Weaver's avatar. everything and everyone else looks fantastic, especially the facial animation.

http://io9.com/5427555/avatar-wont-make-you-go-native?skyline=true&s=x

http://defamer.gawker.com/5427160/an-apology-avatar-amazingly-does-not-suck

I think you guys should take a look at both these articles. Both very well-written and interesting. Both have the same complaints about the film; the second reviewer was able to look past them, the first was not. We'll see where each of us individually fall. I think this film will very much be a case of Your Mileage May Vary, if not an outright Love It Or Hate It.

My parents want to see it, and I'm home from college so I'll go with them. Spend time with the family and all that.

I got back from seeing it just now. I thought it was merely decent but given the hype and the calibre of cameron's work it is piss poor.

It is just a generic scifi action movie, however this is not necessarily a bad thing IMO despite what others say as long as it is done well this wasn't, not in any meaningful way anyway.

The film is definitely a technical marvel but nothing else matches that high point. It is way too long (what is with all the 3 hour epics lately??) and the first half of the movie is FAR TOO SLOW!! The whole first half to me just seemed to be a very clunky expositionary way of showing off each "cool technical bit". To me it felt like I was trapped in a tutorial for a game that lasted about 90 minutes :|

The second half is better and more enjoyable with the usual action staple stuff we expect from the genre but nothing overly memorable but this part is enjoyable nonetheless. Oh and the only character that I really liked was sigourney weavers' character. Jake is a massive idiot and everyone keeps saying that actually.

BTW the navi are way too trusting of a guy who turns up speaking english, wearing human clothes, with human weapons, knows nothing about navi culture, just admitted he was a marine and said he was from the "jarhead clan". And then they are surprised when he admits that he know about the bulldozing thing? WTF? o_O

BTW the unobtanium thing is hardly mentioned really.

And yeah it is abit like ferngully 2 :| To reiterate its not bad but DEFINITELY not worthy of the hype and not something expected of cameron :(

I got back from seeing it just now. I thought it was merely decent but given the hype and the calibre of cameron's work it is piss poor.

It is just a generic scifi action movie, however this is not necessarily a bad thing IMO despite what others say as long as it is done well this wasn't, not in any meaningful way anyway.

The film is definitely a technical marvel but nothing else matches that high point. It is way too long (what is with all the 3 hour epics lately??) and the first half of the movie is FAR TOO SLOW!! The whole first half to me just seemed to be a very clunky expositionary way of showing off each "cool technical bit". To me it felt like I was trapped in a tutorial for a game that lasted about 90 minutes :|

The second half is better and more enjoyable with the usual action staple stuff we expect from the genre but nothing overly memorable but this part is enjoyable nonetheless. Oh and the only character that I really liked was sigourney weavers' character. Jake is a massive idiot and everyone keeps saying that actually.

BTW the navi are way too trusting of a guy who turns up speaking english, wearing human clothes, with human weapons, knows nothing about navi culture, just admitted he was a marine and said he was from the "jarhead clan". And then they are surprised when he admits that he know about the bulldozing thing? WTF? o_O

BTW the unobtanium thing is hardly mentioned really.

And yeah it is abit like ferngully 2 :| To reiterate its not bad but DEFINITELY not worthy of the hype and not something expected of cameron :(
Youre lying!! IT WAS TEH EPIC!!1

its true though... what you mentoined in the spoiler... didnt think of it that way : /

today the greatest day in the history of mankind is finally upon us

Back