Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts

:D This is so awesome news. Trenches and the SAS will be ****ing awesome.

I want to play CoH again :D!!!

my personal fav is "do you think they have POW camps in California?"

btw your sig is awesome Thunderclap

Thanks! :D I love COH, but as you may guess, I think the sides are a tad unbalanced. Not that Axis is bad, they can slaughter the Allies if handled well, but if you screw up once, well that's the end of it.

oldagerocker said:
This is so awesome news. Trenches and the SAS will be ****ing awesome.

I want to play CoH again !!!

Let me tell you something. I bought COH because I wanted urban combat. While I liked C&C Generals, I was disappointed in its pretty tame urban warfare (except of course for the one Chinese mission in that city at night, where I essentially burned the whole city to the ground with MiG strikes). I heard COH had destructable terrain, which is of course vital to any urban battle simulator, so I d'led the demo, loved it, and bought the game. While the urban combat is quite fun and the most realistic I've seen in an RTS, it can be much better. It looks like it might finally achieve that in COH:OF.

My ideal match, which I can watch over and over in replay is one where we take a nice happy city, and over the course of an hour turn it into a smoking, ash-choked lunar landscape, the hellscape broken occassionally by a solitary chimney, with streets so badly clogged with barbed wire, tank traps, land mines, and rubble that tanks are all but impossible, and you have to rely almost exclusively on infantry and artillery, which can pulverize entire city blocks. Small teams of fighters, many carrying flamethrowers, dash through the streets, praying to God a sniper doesn't find them, or they don't stumble across a hidden MG nest, and the fight is occassionally interrupted by furious close-quarters fighting with submachine guns and flamethrowers as two squads stumble across each other in the obscuring miasma of smoke and ash. That is what I want from a WWII RTS, and with a good urban map, Royal Canadian Artillery doctrine for Brits, and Scorched Earth doctrine for Germans, we might just get that.

EDIT: And I hope corpses don't fade! If Total War can do it, so can Company of Heroes! I want the dead scattered like autumn leaves in front of an MG nest damn it!

DX10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. So happy I bought my 8800GTS. :D

And Operation Market Garden is my favourite war story. It rocks and so does Sean Connery in a Bridge too Far. W00op. Looooooove. :D :D

DX10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. So happy I bought my 8800GTS. :D

And Operation Market Garden is my favourite war story. It rocks and so does Sean Connery in a Bridge too Far. W00op. Looooooove. :D :D

Even though it was a major failure, and resulted in deaths 10,000 British Airborne troops...

Still interesting though :D

Thanks! :D I love COH, but as you may guess, I think the sides are a tad unbalanced. Not that Axis is bad, they can slaughter the Allies if handled well, but if you screw up once, well that's the end of it.

i play axis myself, and ya, they are definately the more challenging of the two
im looking forward to having a german campaign in OF

OH HELL YES! :D
COH was awesome, a Godsend.

I still wish the dev team would choose the Pacific Theatre in their next installment (that is, after COH: OF) I'd love some island-hopping, shelling the shit out the islands and atolls (Canal, Tarawa, Pelielu, Iwo Jima, Okinawa etc.)

I still wish the dev team would choose the Pacific Theatre in their next installment (that is, after COH: OF) I'd love some island-hopping, shelling the shit out the islands and atolls (Canal, Tarawa, Pelielu, Iwo Jima, Okinawa etc.)

The problem with the Pacific Theatre is that as soon as the Allied troops roll out thier tanks, with CoH's gameplay it would be all but over. The Japanese had sod all in the way of anti tank weapons and thier best tanks didnt stand a chance against an M5 stuart, let alone tanks like the Sherman, Pershing or Churchill.

And any Jap tank coming up against an allied six pounder (ie, the M1 for the yanks in CoH) would be toast. Let alone coming up against anything else.

Essentially, the Japanese would have virtually no way to deal with allied tanks once they appeared, and Japanese armour would be short work for any of the AT weapons in the allied arsenal.

The problem with the Pacific Theatre is that as soon as the Allied troops roll out thier tanks, with CoH's gameplay it would be all but over. The Japanese had sod all in the way of anti tank weapons and thier best tanks didnt stand a chance against an M5 stuart, let alone tanks like the Sherman, Pershing or Churchill.

And any Jap tank coming up against an allied six pounder (ie, the M1 for the yanks in CoH) would be toast. Let alone coming up against anything else.

Essentially, the Japanese would have virtually no way to deal with allied tanks once they appeared, and Japanese armour would be short work for any of the AT weapons in the allied arsenal.

If they want to do it realistically, a well-placed kick to the rear armor of a Japanese tank will destroy the engine.;)

Their Chi-Ha could be mistaken for a toy. If they ever make Japan, they'll have to rely on massed banzai charges, because their armor will be shite.

the russians are next apparently

If they want to do it realistically, a well-placed kick to the rear armor of a Japanese tank will destroy the engine.;)

Their Chi-Ha could be mistaken for a toy. If they ever make Japan, they'll have to rely on massed banzai charges, because their armor will be shite.

They'd pretty much make the Japanese like the Zerg from Starcraft. :O

I hope Russians have squads of 20 men and stuff if they do an expansion for them. :D

It would be better if both sides could dig trenches, I'm slightly mythed how it would work in a game.

They'd pretty much make the Japanese like the Zerg from Starcraft. :O

If we must compare, I believe the eventual lineup in the COH series will be something like:

America: Terran

Britain: Protoss/Terran

Germany: Protoss

Russia: Zerg/Terran

Japan: Zerg

So, it's gonna be standalone...what do you guys think about that?

I think I'd rather it just be an expansion. I'm a bit worried they'll jack up the price.

Also, in a magazine I read, they said their goal is to do every single theater of the war eventually. Sounds pretty awesome to me.

Nah, its cool. Dark Crusade used the same set up and was only marginally more expencive than a "normal" expanison pack (ie ?20 vs ?15).

Not a fan of that at all. We're gonna get the content of an expansion pack for the price of a standalone game (probably around $40).

And I'll buy it, too... :hmph:

They could mean "standalone" in the way that Episode 1 was standalone. It was an expansion pack that cost $20, that you didn't need the original for.

I only just installed CoH today. Good so far, nothing fantastic yet.

They could mean "standalone" in the way that Episode 1 was standalone. It was an expansion pack that cost $20, that you didn't need the original for.

Exactly, like Dawn of War: Dark Crusade.

It'll probubly be a little more than the usual price of an expansion that you need the original game for, but I very much doubt that it'll come close to the cost of a "proper" game.

I don't play online much :p

The installer was getting me pumped up until they used the word "anyways". I hate that word.

I say, did I just see a halftrack driving about with four doughty Grenadiers shooting out the back? Take your most pimped out Grenadiers (shrecks and MGs), mount them in a halftrack, and you have the most badass hit-and-run raiding unit in the game! I'm looking forward to it.

I say, did I just see a halftrack driving about with four doughty Grenadiers shooting out the back? Take your most pimped out Grenadiers (shrecks and MGs), mount them in a halftrack, and you have the most badass hit-and-run raiding unit in the game! I'm looking forward to it.

ya you can find more info about what we know so far including that halftrack (sdkfz250) here:
http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=149287
and the british info:
http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=149073

BUMP!

come on people!!!
doesnt anyone care about COH anymore?!
OF is gonna kick some serious ass
and Relic are actually hoping to make games for each theatre eventually so.....
eastern front/pacific theatre/african campaign fans dont worry

African Campaign?

Man, I hope you aren't talking through your rectum, because I just came.

Im hella pumped for the expansion pack!! In fact CoH is the only PC game Im really playing at the moment. It just sucks because its hard to find a decent game anymore.

African Campaign?

Man, I hope you aren't talking through your rectum, because I just came.

watch the gamevideos/1up preview movie above and listen to the guy talk about how passionate they are about the franchise and how they would love to keep making them
mark my words, they wont stop with the British/Canadians
:bounce:

Holy **** I'm ****ing buying this, the rain/lightning just did it for me

Holy shit, open beta TOMORROW?!

/me falls over

Notice in the news it says that you'll be able to play with "all four armies" :E.

I guess that means we will be able to compare the new sides to the old. This will be a good thing for people who don't like the new sides, but I can't wait to play both the British and Panzer Elite.

That sounds like a great addition. Playing with both old and new.

Now the single player was pretty decent but nothing special imo, its the multiplayer thats give CoH its genious. Finally, can play as the Brits with some good ol' trenches and i wont be bombared to buggery which happens frequently. Cant wait for this.

Back