Deus Ex Human Revolution

ARRRGGGHHHHHH, ****ING COVER MECHANICS!

Doesn't look anything like Deus Ex :/

My biggest beef are those take downs. I wonder how much of the gameplay will rely on the use of those.

Other notes-

1. I think I will be immediately disabling my "cover button".

2. Holy Shit, tone down Yellow Hue; looks like 1998 color palette.

3. People's mechanical appendages are the only thing that make it feel like a prequel.

Looks like a console version of a Blade Runner homage via Metal Gear Solid, soaked and glistening with Commander Shepard's urine.

Could a "gameplay" video show any less gameplay? We don't even get to see any sort of UI or anything. :LOL:

My biggest beef are those take downs. I wonder how much of the gameplay will rely on the use of those.

I'm willing to bet a lot. I don't like take downs much myself either. They always get overused since they're the best way to kill enemies without taking too much damage and such.

Never played the first two games, will I need to play them to know the story before this?

Tried the first one but the controls are hard to get used to, any mods for the first?

I like how you can drag bodies when you clearly have both hands holding your gun.

Edit: I still don't like how this looks more futuristic than Deus Ex.

Never played the first two games, will I need to play them to know the story before this?

You are my greatest disappointment, but aside from that, Deus Ex 3 being a prequel, no, you don't need to play the previous games.

You love me really :D

Got some time to kill over the weekend so I'll give them a go :)

This video was leaked ages ago. I hate the take downs, but I'm okay with the cover system. It's like "Press X button to execute the enemy (or enemies)".

Ren, I do but you know sometimes I gotta pull down your pants and lay down the law so you don't get out of hand, son.

Anyway, they could at least have made it so that the takedowns had a few QTEs one had to get through, at least for the more complicated ones with multiple enemies.

Looks like Splinter Cell combined with Crisis with a Deus Ex theme and story.

I got more of a MGS meets Killzone vibe.

It looks like a console game - which I don't have a problem with, being a screaming console fan - but it would have been nice to have something that slightly resembles Deus Ex. No?

Couldn't see much there, but it doesn't look terrible or anything. I like stealth action in first person even though I'm kind of over those automated events... whatever they were called.

That was just a cut up version of the video we saw awhile ago. Lame.

I was thinking its vibe is more of a Splinter Cell meets Gears of War meets Call of Duty meets future-sepia.

All in all it looks... pretty average, with lots of bad pop-game design decisions going on. There are ****ing awesome mechanical appendages, but they're relegated to takedown animations. You can drag bodies, but you can hold your gun at the same time. You have a cover mechanic, but... they don't show you shooting out of cover.

It could be good, but I'm not excited anymore.

Tried the first one but the controls are hard to get used to, any mods for the first?

Quit being a bitch and just play it.

Obligatory:

*snip*

I've had this video on my favorites list on YouTube for over 2 years(I know the vid says it was posted in 2009, but that was because the original video was taken down for some reason then reposted)

It's ****ing great, I tend to watch it like once every two months at least, each time it gets me to ROTFL.

"I might as well start using coke!"

****ing classic.

Get pills against my orders!

I'd like to say I'm disappointed as per usual, but at this point... No, this is pretty much what I expected.

It looks mediocre as **** and I would have had no idea I'm watching a trailer for a DX game without prior knowledge. Christ, it even had that damn ticking time bomb scene. And still not a single note of the original game's theme music.

I guess I have to forgive this trailer to a degree since it's mostly just a re-cut of the leaked gameplay footage. But my hopes haven't been raised.

It looks mediocre as **** and I would have had no idea I'm watching a trailer for a DX game without prior knowledge. Christ, it even had that damn ticking time bomb scene. And still not a single note of the original game's theme music.

I'm glad you posted that - I was starting to feel alone in being shocked by the total lack of anything Deus Ex in that vid.

It's like they made a cyberpunk game, said "good enough", and then threw the DX title on it. Despite my griping, I know I have to forgive some liberties taken with a sequel to a ten year old game. But they weren't kidding when they said they wanted this to be a reboot.

It doesn't look overly demanding - probably on par with most current multiplatform games.

Still looks bland. Even as a Deus Ex "fan game" (as Fallout 3 has been described in relation to 1 and 2) it doesn't really inspire confidence. Like Stig said, there are so many mechanics that have been taken from popular titles and hashed together here that it looks like an unfinished patchwork in which nothing really stands out. The cover is just "there." The insta-kills are just "there." They don't seem to actually contribute anything to the gameplay besides maybe looking cool. Had they been well implemented I probably wouldn't mind, but as it is...

Actually, I'm not so disappointed as a Deus Ex fan, but as someone who's really been dying to see more near-future games that deal with cybernetics and stuff. Would kill for a well-done GITS game.

Minimum:
360 or PS3

Recommended:
No prior knowledge of Deus Ex
Normally don't get on board with console hate, but I laughed. :D

Like Stig said, there are so many mechanics that have been taken from popular titles and hashed together here that it looks like an unfinished patchwork in which nothing really stands out. The cover is just "there." The insta-kills are just "there."

The same could easily be said for the original Deus Ex. Nothing specific stands out in Deus Ex, and showing me a trailer or even gameplay of the original I wouldn't think any different.
What made Deus Ex great was the overall experience and the immersion. The combat was "there" the dialogue was "there" the augmentations were "there". Sneaking in through someone's empty apartment at night and reading an email that pieces together a conspiracy- that is the type of stuff that makes Deus Ex interesting and fun. You can't really show that shit in a trailer.

Thanks for those links dude, never seen or heard of this mod before!

The videos are effin' lulz at least!

Edit: Goddamnit, I haven't played Planescape: Torment and now I've heard an important plot conversation from it in that video! Spoiler alert!><

The same could easily be said for the original Deus Ex. Nothing specific stands out in Deus Ex, and showing me a trailer or even gameplay of the original I wouldn't think any different.
What made Deus Ex great was the overall experience and the immersion. The combat was "there" the dialogue was "there" the augmentations were "there". Sneaking in through someone's empty apartment at night and reading an email that pieces together a conspiracy- that is the type of stuff that makes Deus Ex interesting and fun. You can't really show that shit in a trailer.

That has a lot to do with the fact that you played it so recently I think. When I saw gameplay video of Deus Ex showing the augmentations for the first time, I was very impressed. At the time, all of the augmentation stood out as something never really done to such an extent before. The dialogue was pretty stand out as well, since at that time not many games had fully voiced conversation trees. While none of those things really made the game what it was, if you saw the videos as they were released, it was very clear that the game was going to break new ground on at least a few fronts.

Can't say the same for this. Everything in it has been done before, and as far as I can tell, its been done a lot better too.

I think the gameplay will be just as good if not better than the first since this one should have some decent AI at least. What it really comes down to is how good the story is and how well the character progression system works.

Back