Do you care how long valve take to make episode 3?

Rosebud04

Reaction score
i really don't care as long as valve get the story aspects right. And i also don't think they should give away the identity of the G-man, they should just give clues to his identity.

i agree with you, i dont want it rushed, i want it well thought through and made. but i want it as soon as possible, naturally.

oh, and welcome to the forums! its....safer here

you should see how Yahtzee defines episodes on the escapist.I agree with him
1)Smaller games-check
2)Cheaper-check
3)Released more frequently-WRONG

Personally I think its taken too long.

I for one have almost forgotten about the HL universe now, unless I get an urge to replay HL2. I can barely remember what happened in EP1, and can vaguely remember bits from EP2.

Come on Valve, I know you want perfection but surely give us a peek at something to keep our appetites up!?

The problem is that they got all our hopes up when they compared it to a tv-series and said they will have episode 3 out by Christmas 2007 (or was it 2006??).
Anyway now they might as well take their time because my expectations for this are sky high since I was just slightly disappointed with episodes 2. And its ending dont really work imo if your gonna release each game like ~2 years apart its kinda annoying with those cliffhangers, I really hope they deliver.

I can wait - There are other great, great games out there I can play.

I can wait for the game, but not for the juicy info :(

Give me something please!

Even if the information is as small as saying the next iteration of Source will have God-rays, Paralax Shading, 50KM^2 maps, a New Heightmap Tool or something

i can wait about 2-3 more years for a great game....but my patience is waning

On one level I don't care because frankly its just a game.

On another part of me does think it'd be nice to have it sometime this side of the apocalypse.

It'd be nice to have a little bit of info. Just something to get us talking about. Right now the wait is just so boring.

when they say that they're gonna get it out fast, and then it takes >5 years for them to put out 3 episodes, theres a problem.

I can wait for a little while for the game to come out, but there needs to be some sort of update or media thrown our way, like a screenshot, news, interview, or trailer, something so all of us stay engaged.
I'm sure the waning economy has slowed things down a bit, but a simple update is past due.

Episode Three is well worth the wait if Valve takes its sweet time to make an awesome game.

I will be disappointed if they don't release some information soon, however.

I can wait for the game itself, but it's been ridiculous with the complete lack of info about a year and and a half after the release of the Orange Box. A single status update would be nice.

When you think about it, if episode 1 was the most recent installment, episode 2 would have just been released. If it were the case of HL2, we'd have a release date by now for Ep1. It's been this long with no information whatsoever, let alone a release date, or anything mentioning their progress. I wonder how long Valve had in mind when it was announced that the interval between Ep2 and Ep3 would be longer than the other two waits.

As long as episode 3 is as good or better then the previous 2 episodes I will be fine with a long wait. I trust Valve would not release a game in a series that was not better then it's predecessor. That said some information about their progress would be nice.

It's been so long, until I lost interest in Half Life 2 already, but hopefully it turns out to be a good game. Or we've wait for nothing.

I wish Ep3 was out already, but seriously, what are we going to do if they keep delaying it? Not buy it when it's released? Maybe go down to valve hq and ask the secretary if she knows anything about the status? Email Gabe about it and expect a response?

I'll wait as long as it takes, but I won't enjoy it. I am so starved for any new information on this game. A teaser trailer, a few screenshots, even a tiny bit of new concept art would do. I just want to know they're still working on it.

Of course I want that they will do good work but in other way I just hate waiting....

I think Valve in future should drop episodic content, its just not capable of sticking to the time scale between releases required for it.

Valve likes to spend ages on everything they make, so yeah, after ep 3 I hope they never touch episodes again until such a time as they decide to work faster.

I would be seriously happy if they even release ep 3. Financially wise left4dead was a much bigger success than the HL-episodes. Look at the sales numbers and the quality of the games. Episodes with such a big time between the releases can't be a big success. Valve is working like a group of hobbyist instead of a big commercial company. For me I would like to see that Valve can go on like this forever though..

Probably Valve failed to come up with any idea. So they just left Half-Life 2 series.

Probably Valve failed to come up with any idea. So they just left Half-Life 2 series.

I doubt it...they may be playing around with multiple ideas and it could be taking forever because they haven't fully decided on one course of action yet.
Plus, who knows how the current economic situation is affecting them (hopefully not too bad because of LFD's success).

No. As long as they're crafting a good game I couldn't give a shit if it came out in 3 more years. Hell, I forgot Episode 3 was even being made.

Same opinion as most: I don't care as long as it's good.

Hopefully, the more time it takes, the more polish will be on the final product and I think in the end that's all we really want.

I DO wish Valve hadn't made the comment about episodic content meaning quicker releases though because I think it raised people's expectations a bit much.

I hope it will be released within 2 years from now. Well, I wouldn't want development on it to take 10 years. Yes, I do care. I also want it to be a polished product. And I highly expect it to be.

I figure we'll get some update either late this summer or fall and it'll be out sometime late 2010.

Depends if it's a wait similar to Duke Nukem Forever. Oh and yes, the wait is annoying me to bits. I want some ****ing info already.

I think Valve in future should drop episodic content, its just not capable of sticking to the time scale between releases required for it.

Valve likes to spend ages on everything they make, so yeah, after ep 3 I hope they never touch episodes again until such a time as they decide to work faster.

I agree. When valve releases episodes the games are good. when valve releases full games everyone is just like "holy ****!!!!"

I'd also like to state that as far as updates go. I'd be satisfied with a screenshot, just to see how the game will look. That will keep us busy for a while

Dropping the "episode" label will not accelerate the development time of games, so what's the point? We will always have to wait. ;)

I don't think dropping the "episode" label is a good idea. I think it's Valve being simply honest. How many recent FPP games did you finish in 6 hours or less? That's similar to Episode Two's lenght (at least if you're not rushing)...

So if new Valve's episodes are ~6 hours in lenght, are less expensive than full games and released every ~2 years... I'm okay with that.

Based on the quality of Valve's games, I can wait a little longer than before, but with lack of new media is a tiny bit annoying.

Anyway, I'd also like a screenshot or even a concept art. It doesn't have to show anything significant - a random area, showing something plain.

Anyway, I'd also like a screenshot or even a concept art. It doesn't have to show anything significant - a random area, showing something plain.

HAHAHAHA now thats desperation....... I'm the same way though, it was only reading something like this makes me realise how badly some of us want the game.

I just want to know theyre working on it... even if we dont get a concept art or screenshot or anything media related... just say something like...."oh we hope to expand on this feature, idea, relationship, character, ect"... give us something... anything i mean we dont even have a reliable release date to go by thats accurate within the year! And I know its valve and release dates mean nothing but still... idk... at least it will be worth the wait :)

Depends if it's a wait similar to Duke Nukem Forever.

Let's hope it never comes to that.

Valve needs to make a Half-Life blog like they've done for TF2 and L4D. (And I guess since Portal takes place in the same canon, the blog would cover P2 updates as well.)

It would be a pretty boring blog at this point, since there's really no active updates about EP3 like with TF2 or L4D; all we have is a couple of art pics - hardly anything to start a blog over.

Back