Dota 2 Client Leaked - Episode 3 Code Found Within?

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
Dota 2 clients have been available to playtesters for sometime now without much leaking into the public domain. That is until now, where it seems a Vietnamese playtester has released all sorts of textures, models, sounds and bits of code. Although we can't confirm the code is legitimate, it makes for interesting reading.

An Icegun / Flamethrower weapon would make sense in Episode 3 as the hunt for the Borealis takes us to the coldest confines of Earth.

If you're more interested in the other Dota 2 info check out the full list on Team Liquid site.

Damn Glenn, I literally just stumbled across this on Lambda Generation and was about to come here and post the news!

So... ice gun and flamethrower... pretty self explanatory, but I wonder what this "weaponizer" is? Can it change things between concrete, liquid, and metal, or change the properties of them? Interesting.

First real Ep3 news we've had in forever, even if it's practically nothing.

Is it just me that thinks that should be put in spoilers?
Still, very interesting either way. Looks like Valve are putting more focus on elemental physics this time around. could we be seeing them try and create some really nice liquid/elemental physics?

No Australia region for Dota 2? That will really suck if we don't have a region (not even an Oceania one!)

'bout time

Why Valve always include tons of other games leftover files?

I think it's telling that when I saw this pop up I actually gasped a little. I am a hungry dog begging for scraps.
If this is real, they might just be some random test files.
But I guess Valve will do something crazy with Episode 3, perhaps with liquid physics, or something like that.
(Edit: Woops, Dekstar already theorized this more eloquently than me) Did they deliberately leave those files in there? Is this some saucy cockteasin'?
I don't really know what to expect at this point. The game will be done when it is done, and it will probably blow my mind and make me grow a beard posthumously.

I bet it has nothing to do with Episode 3.

'bout time

Why Valve always include tons of other games leftover files?

It's pretty common for cruft to get left around when you're developing things. For me that's actually one of the scarier parts of releasing source code when I open-source something... "Did I leave something I shouldn't have in one of these 300 subfolders?"

Valve may be trolling us, who knows? Or it could be a cliffhanger of a sneak peek coming soon. But when I saw "ep3" Short for episode 3, I thought Valve already moved on with the episode model so that means they would be working on a half life 3.

Valve may be trolling us, who knows? Or it could be a cliffhanger of a sneak peek coming soon. But when I saw "ep3" Short for episode 3, I thought Valve already moved on with the episode model so that means they would be working on a half life 3.
This has never been explicitly confirmed, it's just been speculated by some sources due to some coy remarks Valve have made in the past, and their admission to the fact that the episodic model has been more or less a failure.

I doubt Valve expected the leak at all, and they definitely wouldn't intentionally leak the entire Dota 2 client.

It's probably easier to keep the WIP name as "ep3" instead of changing everything. Also, it's just a name. No matter what they call it, it is what it is.

I was looking at the liquid.cpp and got me thinking. What if the Grav gun can suck up water into a ball of water and spit out a glob at a unsuspecting enemy. Even better, leave the water in the Grav Gun's aperture and allow the cold air to freeze it into an iceball that you can kill someone with.

EP3? Bit of a jump isn't it? Could easily be something they were experimenting with in any game. Dota 2, TF2 or Alien Swarm.

Edit: I didn't notice that it actually said ep3 in the code. I am the dumb. Anyway it's still pretty uninteresting. To me at least :p

EP3? Bit of a jump isn't it? Could easily be something they were experimenting with in any game. Dota 2, TF2 or Alien Swarm.

Could of been something they experimented with in Ep3, got cut from that project, and is now being used in DOTA

New Valve start up animation is creepy as shit.

I WANT TO BELIEVE! HNNNNGGG :x Seriously Valve, seriously please be real.

Flamethrower would make no sense whatever. Flamethrowers are ridiculously unbalancing for any game with close combat unless there's an extremely limited amount of fuel or the flamethrower isn't a weapon that you can carry with you, like stationary weapons or weapons that cannot be carried through the airlocks.

Please, God, not an ice gun. Freeze guns might not be so bad if they just damaged enemies by extreme cooling, but it seems that every game dev to implement one has this idea that they should encase enemies in a block of ice, leaving them immobile and vulnerable, until they thaw out and resume attacking you with no ill effects whatsoever. Which makes perfect sense, right?

New Valve start up animation is creepy as shit.

Yeah. They wanted to make Ep3 scary, I was wondering whether they wanted to release that intro with the scarier HalfLife just to freak you out before the main game

God, not an ice gun

The grav gun breaks off icicles, fires them like flecettes or darts

I doubt it's so simple as a normal flamethrower and some kind of freeze gun, I'm guessing it's part of a more engaging / complex game mechanic that involves manipulating the environment's properties of matter in some way.

Back