Engineer Update Day 2: The Wrangler and Achievements

Sliver

Companion Cube
Reaction score
1278460120_wrangler.png
[br]The 50th Golden Wrench has been dropped, and thus more information on the update has been released. The new Engineer weapon, The Wrangler, replaces the pistol and allows the Engineer to remote control his Sentry Gun, which will give it a doubled fire rate and a slightly faster missile launcher. It will also absorb 60% of all incoming damage. Also included are some screenshots of the new map and a list of achievements. You can see the entire update here.

A weapon like this has been recommended many times and I always thought it was a bad idea. You can just point and shoot your sentry anywhere so you basically have no range limit.

if you need line of sight as an engy to use this, a lot of engy's are gonna die

im ok with this

I have the power of a ****ing sentry gun with faster fire rates in the palm of my hand.

Smiley+%3DD.png

VALVe had BETTER re-animate this so that his hand is on the joystick, or else I'M going to have to!

Judging by the achievement pics, looks like engy's melee unlock is a guitar.

Although that makes me wonder how on earth do you upgrade your stuff then.

Remote controlled sentry comes with double the fire rate?

Incoming nerf in 3... 2... 1...

Judging by the achievement pics, looks like engy's melee unlock is a guitar.

Although that makes me wonder how on earth do you upgrade your stuff then.

The guitar could always be a taunt and not a weapon.

2 times the damage and 66% damage absorption? How the f are you supposed to take out a level 3 sentry with a uber then?
(although it makes it easier for spies/scouts)

They need to remove either the faster firing rate or damage absorption. You would get a line of level 3 sentries from way out the map firing rockets and shells non-stop towards the base. Not to mention, things will become even harder for spies as it already is. You can spy check with the sentries, how the hell will a spy get close?

Plus, who uses the pistol anyways?

The sentry better lose it's ability to auto target enemies with this weapon, otherwise the support/defensive engineer will now become full on offense.

The spy needs more updates as well. Currently, the spy only has one new weapon and two different cloaking devices. Even the demoman has more updates than the spy.

you don't need double rate; perhaps give you infinite range instead

A weapon like this has been recommended many times and I always thought it was a bad idea. You can just point and shoot your sentry anywhere so you basically have no range limit.
2 times the damage and 66% damage absorption? How the f are you supposed to take out a level 3 sentry with a uber then?
(although it makes it easier for spies/scouts)
A: Shoot the engineer (easy kill for spies)
B: He isn't reparing his gun.

I wonder does it require line of sight to use?

By the way, the guy who set up TF2items got a wrench. He already has a community knife and people are saying that Valve have fixed the drop system and are raging (so not much change at all on the SPUF).

Let's remember that the sentry guns have an inactive period after they've been boosted.

This is kind of garbage. It's not that good offensively, especially given that it replaces the pistol, and as a defensive tool it requires you to stick around your sentry even more than a regular SG. The way the benefits (shield, increased rof) are written makes it sound like it's overpowered, but I'm not convinced it's any better than the regular sentry due to manual aim.

why are you guys already claiming whether this is overpowered or not? Don't you trust valve to playtest stuff anymore?

The fact is if you're aiming, you won't be able to repair your gun, and if you do switch to wrench the Sentry is disabled for 3 seconds. So unless you're good at aiming, your SG isn't going to last long, and doesn't stand a chance against ubers.

As a scout, I'm cheering. It'll be a lot easier to take advantage of the sentry's (relatively) slow rotating speed without the potential auto-aim. ;D

yes I thinkt he point is that you wont be repairing the sentry unless other engie comes so I guess that will increase the teamwork

and for the spy stuff I guess the spy can just walk in out of the vision field? after all the sentry is automated to perceive anything that get inits range so unless when controlling you have some radar them you will have to sping it around to see whats around you

also I guess enginers wont stand behind the sentries using that

Double engy combos anyone? One engy for the autoaim sentry and repair, and another engy for the remote sentry. (Add a smart reflect/hammer pyro in there and you have a rockin forward base.)

Things a remote sentry can take advantage of that a normal sentry can't:
- Target differentiation and priority. No longer can a medic manipulate the auto-targeting of a sentry when ubering. Aim at what you will.
- The splash damage of the rockets. It's rocked my world more than I care to remember, but it can only get me if I show too much of myself to the sentry. Those days are gone, but with it comes the knowledge that a human is behind the trigger, and humans can miss. And be overcome with trickery and teamwork.
- Suppressing fire. Yet again, a normal sentry has to see you to fire, but a human doesn't. Either offensive or defensive, this is a definite advantage over a regular sentry. But then again, it is as much a disadvantage, because while you get to aim, you HAVE to aim, and as most people are human, most people will eventually **** up.
- Damage reduction. Pretty self explanatory.
- Increased rocket fire rate. Yet to be determined.

Vice-versa:
- Auto-aim.
- Auto-target.
- Dedicated repair-reload engy.
- No deactivation time due to a dumbass engy.

Also, does the damage reduction apply to sap? Does the engy have to have line of sight on the sentry? On the target? Do you take direct control over the sentry, or do you point remote and aim sentry? In the first case, do you loose control over the engy while controlling the sentry? In the second, do you have to manually fire the sentry through the remote, or will it autofire? There's a lot they didn't actually say about this ability. (And the answers will determine how well players will be able to use the ability.)

Whatever, we'll all find out on thursday.

I doubt it applies to sappers seeing as it's a "shield" protecting it.

Oh, great another map for a game mode that barely anybody plays.

How about a CTF map for a change? Valve needs to start remaking more of the original maps instead of flooding us with all these new game modes and the shitty maps that come with them. The majority of servers are running 2fort 24/7 because it's the only map that actually resembles the original.

I don't understand why they had to stray from the original formula and start adding all these unnecessary game modes.

I'm so building a sentry to destroy another sentry if it allows targets out of auto-aim range!

Edit:// Aussies play Goldrush a lot.

I love payload. Badwater is my favourite map. Glad to see another one.

I like them all so far, if anything I want to see more game modes. :(

How about a CTF map for a change? Valve needs to start remaking more of the original maps instead of flooding us with all these new game modes and the shitty maps that come with them. The majority of servers are running 2fort 24/7 because it's the only map that actually resembles the original.

I don't understand why they had to stray from the original formula and start adding all these unnecessary game modes.

I hear you, man. Why aren't they just remaking previously existing game modes instead of all this fresh, new stuff they're pumping out? I can't for the life of me get my head around developing the core concept and taking it down different avenues. Who are they trying to fool.

Well then, maybe Valve will fly Twixx and I to Seattle to play this update for ourselves, otherwise, uh, we'll boycott the update by NEVER USING STEAM EVER AGAIN.

I hear you, man. Why aren't they just remaking previously existing game modes instead of all this fresh, new stuff they're pumping out? I can't for the life of me get my head around developing the core concept and taking it down different avenues. Who are they trying to fool.

Ooh, aren't you witty with your sarcasm.

If i am not mistaken, this game is called Team Fortress. Not Team Push the Cart, Team Capture the Control Point nor Team Arena.

-fortress

a large fortified place; a fort or group of forts, often including a town; citadel.

As in, its purpose is to contain/safeguard/protect its residents and/or any objects of value.
You know, something like a King and Queen, Gold or, i don't know...a briefcase!

See, i can be a patronizing douchebag too.

We want forts! We want forts! No more hats, but more more forts! Why widen the scope when you can narrow it.

We want forts! We want forts! No more hats, but more more forts! Why widen the scope when you can narrow it.

I never said anything about narrowing it, nor did i say anything about the hat system.
I am just simply disappointed by the lack of CTF maps. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Well then, maybe Valve will fly Twixx and I to Seattle to play this update for ourselves, otherwise, uh, we'll boycott the update by NEVER USING STEAM EVER AGAIN.

Do you serve here any purpose at all? I mean, besides antagonizing anybody that has a different view point from yours and handing out infractions cause of it? Apparently not.

Ooh, aren't you witty with your sarcasm.

If i am not mistaken, this game is called Team Fortress. Not Team Push the Cart, Team Capture the Control Point nor Team Arena.

-fortress

a large fortified place; a fort or group of forts, often including a town; citadel.

As in, its purpose is to contain/safeguard/protect its residents and/or any objects of value.
You know, something like a King and Queen, Gold or, i don't know...a briefcase!

See, i can be a patronizing douchebag too.
Funny that you bring up the definition of a fortress. There's some interesting phrase in there you might want to look at:

"fortified place"

Seems to me that this would describe just about every localised group of three or more walls in every single map in TF2. So, every map has a fortress of sorts. Every map requires teamwork. I guess if you wanted to be really pedantic, you could infer that the "2" in TF2 means that every map should be a remake from a prequel which actually has very little to do gameplay-wise with its sequel in terms other than simple teamplay and class names -- but that would be silly, wouldn't it?

Patronising douchebaggery aside, 2fort is an awful, awful map by almost any measure of balance and gameplay. I'm all for more CTF maps, and I think they could be done extremely well, but the best I've seen so far is Turbine, and it isn't much of a step up.

Patronising douchebaggery aside, 2fort is an awful, awful map by almost any measure of balance and gameplay. I'm all for more CTF maps, and I think they could be done extremely well, but the best I've seen so far is Turbine, and it isn't much of a step up.
2Fort is quite bad because it is extremely balanced and symmetric, and people like it only because they can have a kill almost instantly. Every new map is great, some of them are really amazing but I would like to see TF2 play on TFC Warpath...

Wow your finger is so far from the pulse of the TF2 community. I'm actually surprised you could be that far off. The majority of server do not run 2fort & it is regarded by many players as boring, turtlefort or a long walk to a sentry. KOTH and Arena haven't been taken up with huge vigour but CP and PL are very much so the two most popular game modes by a significant margin. Personally I find them more attractive too, with CTF feeling a little dated these days.

The original formula is the basis of using a team with specific abilities working together. The fortress aspect isn't a constant theme but the class interactions remain the bedrock of the game. If you're not looking for a game with a mixture of game modes and prefer one set objective head on over to tetris.

It's getting close now, 73/75.

My prediction for day 3: Wrench Replacement, Meet the Pyro, and Achievement descriptions.

Back