Enhance my HL Experience

fustrun

Reaction score
Hey guys Baisicaly i decided to replay all the half life series from HL1 and all expasion to all HL 2 episodes, and basically i want it to be more fun this time.
So what i'm looking for is maybe mods that add realistic weapons or ironsights to play on the original HL1/HL2 campaing.
I did mod Obsidian Conflict's use of CS weapons and added models and the ironsights themselves, but OC is buggy sometimes with the campaing since it adds support for co-op.
So basically waht i'm looking for is CS preferebly with ironsights in HL1 and 2.

Thx in advance guys.

You should try going through Water Hazard and the buggy levels without their respective vehicles.

EDIT:

Then again the buggy one gets ****ing boring.

Hmm . . hows that connected to anything i said ? :S
Maybe i missed something ?

SMOD Tactical is what you're looking for I think.

If you think going through the games with iron sights is funner, then you are sadly mistaken.

I allready played HL2 with ironsights and realistic weapons . . and belive me when you headshot someone with winchester with ironsights and they drop dead in 1 shot is alot funner then empting a whole clip on them . . including attachments such as aimoints eotechs and lasers and so on . . i'm just not a fan of futuristic weapons and crosshair aiming.

I've heard good things about the Cinematic Mod for HL2+episodes
need a high end rig to run it though

If you like oversexed characters and a G-man who looks like he spent too long in a fake-and-bake, then use the cinematic mod!

If you're a quittin' so'monna'bitch, maybe.

I just really like the HL story . . and i allready finished it 1 time regulary and 1 time in Co-op so now i wanna change it a bit to still make it abit more intresting :)
And for those who have the same opinion as me here is a mod i found for HL1 . . basically let's you play the campaing with CS weapons
http://www.moddb.com/mods/counter-life

And can anyone shed light on the cinematics mod ? can't seem to find their official site, what exactly is changed ?

Turns out it's more then that . . adds soundtrack aswell . . anyone played it ? give it a rating ?
And big thx for that, that's the kind of things im looking for :)

zy8qjb.jpg

the **** is this

If you think going through the games with iron sights is funner, then you are sadly mistaken.

If you think "funner" is a word you are sadly mistaken.

Also, FakeFactory Alyx is for sweaty-palmed NEETs.

Is Cinematic mod is that bad ? i mean yeah i really like the original alyex and i think that changing the charchters is going too far . .
But basically is it worth it ? and if not then why ?

Half Life 2: Update is a nice alternative to the cinematic mod, it uses higher res textures, models, and the HDR settings from the xbox 360 version of the orange box. And of course, it runs on the orange box engine so fire will look better and other stuff like that. There might be a way to combine it with other mods like smod but you'd probably run into conflicts and glitches. Unless you really knew exactly which files to copy over.

Oh, and it has steam achievements copied from the xbox achievements.

For Half Life 1, you might want to wait until Black Mesa is released, it's a total conversion mod rebuilding the half life 1 campaign from the ground up to use the orange box engine. Just check out the epic trailer. epic trailer.

I have been waiting for the Black Mesa Source for ages . . so who knows when it will be back.

Thanks for the replies though, i went quite into a shock about the Cinematic Mod taking 10gb to download . . :p hmm . . when they say 64bit is needd they mean processor and 64bit windows right ?
I have a32 bit system but i have the 4gb memory . . will it run ?

I'm all for modding HL2 to create a darker atmosphere, different music, change environments to look more realistic (it is a five year old game, there've been advancements) ... but why the hell would you want to take Alyx, one of the best and most recognisable video game characters of all freakin' time, and change her looks into something else? Seriously, why?

I never heard of HL2 Updated before. Looks nice. I'm downloading now.

At least I found cinematic mod nice. You can choose whether you want the sleezy Alyx model or not, in fact you can choose whether to use any of the new npc models. The only problem I noticed (which also showed in the Half-life 2: update video) is that the expressions in the original Half-life 2 didn't work so well, it seems that because they brought the new facial expression system from the Episodes, that the original face animations don't work like they should. Look at Alyx's face in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R5Z8Vfv32s at 0.35, all the original smiling and then fear, all gone. It's basically only their mouths moving and only minor movement of other face muscles. This only affects Half-life 2, not either of the Episodes.

The thing I liked quite a bit was the new difficulty, all the weapon damages were overhauled and the game was much harder than originally. Some might find this a bad thing, but luckily you can also choose whether to use the new settings.

I agree changing the loks of key figures in the game is not a good idea . .
But as i allready completed the game i'm open for new ideas . .
So basically anyone tried to run it on a 32bit system ?
And i'll take alook at HL update

Thx guys for all the great replies !

At least I found cinematic mod nice. You can choose whether you want the sleezy Alyx model or not, in fact you can choose whether to use any of the new npc models. The only problem I noticed (which also showed in the Half-life 2: update video) is that the expressions in the original Half-life 2 didn't work so well, it seems that because they brought the new facial expression system from the Episodes, that the original face animations don't work like they should. Look at Alyx's face in this video
*video*
at 0.35, all the original smiling and then fear, all gone. It's basically only their mouths moving and only minor movement of other face muscles. This only affects Half-life 2, not either of the Episodes.

The thing I liked quite a bit was the new difficulty, all the weapon damages were overhauled and the game was much harder than originally. Some might find this a bad thing, but luckily you can also choose whether to use the new settings.
That's not the cinematic mod, that's the Updated mod. They're two different mods.

That's not the cinematic mod, that's the Updated mod. They're two different mods.

Yeah I know, but like I previously said the same thing seems to apply to both mods, the facial expression system getting worse in HL2. The video was just an example.

Oh right sorry I thought you were getting them mixed up.

No harm done :) And btw, I didn't get the huge bridge shown in the screenshot in case anyone considering trying the mod doesn't want it, I guess it's some sort of a promotional screenie.

One more thing, in cinematic mod there's a lot of dialog (yes, you read correct) added to the game, I don't know where the author got those, but I heard many times a comment from Alyx that I surely hadn't heard before, and I've played the games at least 4 times each. Plus there are easter egg type speeches for NPC:s in a couple of places :)

Perhaps they took lines that were in the game's files but never used and stuck them in. Or even ones from the promotional videos or the episodes/].

Well just installed it and the got a DX8 error witch is quite common i saw . . but fixed it after a hard battle and digging.
So basically the graphics are pretty amazing and the new alyx has quite some charm . . i wouldn't say more then the original tbh . . but i defenetly approve . . i encountered 2 problems though the first is when i install custom weapon models i get models without skins (Purple/black square syndrom) . . anyone tried that ?
And the second is the allready mention facial expressions . . witch not as rich as in the original HL . . but anyway worth a spin i say :) and if anyone knows about those models pls let me know :)

Did you make sure to put the skins for the models in the right folder? IIRC they go in the materials folder, not models or skins.

Well the models show up . . the skin dosen't . . so i'm guessing they DO go in the Model's Folder ? :S

This is the model im trying to add

http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/41477

anyway this is where i put the models
..\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\FAKEFACTORY_CM10\hl2\models\weapons

And the Material folder that comes with the download 'USP Match' In
..\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\FAKEFACTORY_CM10\hl2\materials\Weapons\

thx for the help!

Fakefactory is not a mod... And neither are individual models and skins, for that matter.

You extract the hl2\etc folders to your steamapps\username\half-life 2\

Try
...\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\FAKEFACTORY_CM10\hl2\materials\weapons\
...\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\FAKEFACTORY_CM10\hl2\materials\models\
...\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\FAKEFACTORY_CM10\hl2\materials\models\weapons\

and I mean all three at once. The ones in the wrong directories will just be ignored.

Also, I noticed you capitalized the W in materials directory. Is that the actual folder name? The capital letter could mess up the directory.

I'm confused, so is this "FAKEFACTORY_CM10" thing an actual mod that you're supposed to put in the sourcemods folder? Because the one time I tried fakefactory, years ago, it was just replacement content for HL2 which you put in your half life 2 folder to override the game's original content. And downloading an individual model, like that download link you just posted, is definitely something that goes into an existing game's \hl2\ folder.

Back