ever got too emotional due to a game?

The artillery shelling of the German position in Company of Heroes shook me. That's all I can remember now.

I never got to see that scene due to disc-scratchyness but I don't see what the big deal with Aeris is. Infact, the only character I liked in that game was the big black dude with a gun for an arm, and that's because he was a big black dude with a gun for an arm, and even then when it came to the whole angsty thing about his home down I really didn't give two shits. I'm sure it was very suprising to people, but was anyone here really upset enough to cry over it?

I'm sure it was very suprising to people, but was anyone here really upset enough to cry over it?
You know, this got me thinking about if I've ever cried over a Square game, and I just thought of one: the end of KH2. When Roxas and Namine showed up. That was too heartwarming, especially considering that they were far better characters than Sora and Kairi. They deserved to live more than Sora and Kairi did.

Also, the Hundred Acre Wood. In both games. Why the hell is Winnie the Pooh's world so sad? Between KH and that Kessie episode of the TV show, it's is the saddest place ever.

Maybe FF7 when it came out, on aeris' death..but I was like 9 at the time...hell, ok I'll admit it I cry my ****ing eyes out just thinking about it right now!!

i remember way back when i've played unreal 2 the awakening i got teary eyes a bit at the end...i really felt bad.
btw...this game is seriously underrated.
I think enough people will have played this to strongly disagree with you. It's one of the dullest First Person Shooters ever created, and if they'd spent more time on creating decent levels, and less time on the love-them/hate-them crew sequences that the 'emotional' ending entirely depends upon, people could still be talking about it.

And I'm not sure it was even that poorly rated. This line is why I'll never trust a PCZone review ever again, for instance:
The real knowledge can only be conveyed in words: Unreal II is in the same class as Doom, Duke Nukem 3D and that Valve game. Except that games keep getting better. And this is the best.
... Mark Hill must have got a damned good PR hand-job to spout that unadulterated f***-runoff.

---

So emotion in games... I don't really get emotional over them to be honest. Even Episode Two which was fabulously executed, but never out of the blue (I mean, the fanbase knew someone would die. It was pretty obvious who). When I was younger, a little. For some reason, the scene which got me in FF7 was never Aeris' death (... erm spoiler... That everyone knows anyway. Also, Bruce Willis was dead all along and Norton and Pitt are playing the same guy), it was a small scene in the middle of the same disk where Barrett finds Marlene safe and well at Aeris' moms, which was sweet.

I really can't remember, certainly not anything recently. The only game I can think of right now was the ending video to Dino Crisis 2.

I cried at the end of KH2, when
Kairi and Sora were reunited

Silent Hill 2 is the only one I can remember making me emotional. One of the best games I have played.

HL2 Episode 2s ending didnt make me cry, but damn I felt like crap afterwards.

KoToR sucked at some parts, but just made me feel bad.

During some sad scenes throughout the Halo series, the music tore at the heartstrings.

It was a small scene in the middle of the same disk where Barrett finds Marlene safe and well at Aeris' moms, which was sweet.

I think the part where Dyne (?) commits suicide (?) was the most emotional part of that game for me.

The games that have probably gotten me the most emotional are the Legend of Zelda games. Cases in point:

Ocarina of Time: Kakariko Village, the ending etc.

Majora's Mask: Pretty much everything about this game. Such a beautifully dark atmosphere, there are so many moments that make me want to well up.

Windwaker: The end sequence before the final boss battle. Also Grandma :(

EDIT: Thinking about it, Majora's Mask is easily the saddest game I have ever played. I'm totally making a thread about it.

Half-Life 2: Episode 2 - Felt so sad after the end scene, literally just sat there and stared at the monitor in shock.

Bit of Final Fantasy VII also made me a little sad.

There's probably more, but I can't remember them off the top of my head right now.

I cried when Female-character-not-Tifa Died in FF7, I was all like "Aww man, so I'm not getting a sexscene with Cloud doing her hard!?" :'(

Something I played recently made me bawl, but I can't for the life of me remember what.

I actually dreamed the end of episode two for like 2 weeks in a row. I dreamed that i was a rebel and that i was fighting the combine in white forest.It was pretty fun actually!In one of my dreams i saw Eli getting "brainsucked" by a combine advisor

Metal Gear Solid 4 brought back some serious memories.

Seeing him back on the screen in my control filled me with childish glee, but at the same time made me sad because I knew this would be the last in his adventures.

And the whole last chapter killed me with every moment. I cried at the epilogue the most though, just knowing 'this is it, Snake is gone'.

He's my gaming icon.

Yeah, thats the first game to ever make my cry.

Speaking of which, you know what else was sad in MGS?

That whole scene after EE dies, with Otacon and Snake, and their manly hug.

I just remembered what I was crying at. It was a part in Planescape: Torment.

Honestly, this is an awesome moment. If you join the Society for Sensation, one of the sensory stones in their private Sensatorium is of one of your past party members from your previous incarnation. And it's a memory of a conversation between her and yourself. Only, because you were there, you're experiencing both sides of the conversation at the same time. And - it is ****ing heartbreaking to recognize, and to have your character recognize, how desperately in love she is with you, and yet how much exactly you are manipulating her, and - it's an incredible scene, all-up.

Basically anything to do with the Practical incarnation is fairly frightening.

The scene with Agro before the final boss in Shadow of the Colussus was pretty sad. Also the end to that game as you struggle to stop being sucked into the light.

Oh I forgot my guild's Nefarian first kill in WoW back before TBC came and ***ked everything up.

I cried tears of joy that night. TS went crazy, was one of those moments where you wanted to have the members there with you so you could hug them and get pissed and chant like football fans.

I've never shed tears, but I've been felt that gooey emotion when getting sucked into the stories of certain games, particularly from my childhood/past. The end of Max Payne 2 was one of those. I smiled at the changed, happier ending upon game completion after beating the hardest difficulty, only because I wanted that ending to be the way the story really concluded, but I knew that the fantasy of the warm "hardcore mode" ending could never take away the cold truth.

Mass Effect was simply engrossing, and life outside ME seemingly didn't exist when I was so immersed into its universe when the story starts the exponential crescendo toward the climax.

^^ KOTOR, for me, same thing.

^^ Jade Empire, same thing.

Coincidentally those previous 3 titles are all developed by the same company.

HL2.

Yes, some of the Final Fantasy games made me want to put my fist through the screen in anger they were so frustrating.

Oh, plenty. Just plenty. Can't think of a lot at the moment, but I'll edit when I get more:

The World Ends With You - AMAZING game. One of the best I've ever played. :')
Portal - Still Alive choked me up when I first heard it at the end :)
FF7 - Aeris.

Yes. HL2 because I was bored to tears!

Haha, get it?

/runs away

Back