Fallout: New Vegas just became a whole lot more awesome

so lately I've gotten an itch for playing some fallout, either re-installing fallout 3 or maybe trying new vegas. The main thing that has kept me from new vegas has been all the reports of bugs, well some time has passed now and some patches has been released, what's the state of playability? have they squashed out the gamebreaking bugs/performance issues?

plays much better then it did when it first came out.

Although atleast for me VATS seem broken half the time,like when I finish targeting my character doesn't shoot he just walks backwards while taking damage until I die or the camera goes back to normal.

so lately I've gotten an itch for playing some fallout, either re-installing fallout 3 or maybe trying new vegas. The main thing that has kept me from new vegas has been all the reports of bugs, well some time has passed now and some patches has been released, what's the state of playability? have they squashed out the gamebreaking bugs/performance issues?

After having played it a lot I can say to people having played FO3:
- It has no game-breaking bugs, as long as you don't kill quest NPCs when you don't have to
- Performance is great for me, played with a fairly constant 60FPS maxed on my i7-860 and Radeon 5850. iirc a single crash in my 125 hours of playtime
- Most minor bugs from FO3 are still in, nothing that I would consider game-breaking though.
- Almost all the models, textures and coding is copied from Fallout 3(although NV has 'warmer' colors for the timecycle, everything isn't greenish like in FO3).
- The story is goddamn awesome. Normally I never care about stories in games, but I've never played a game that gave me this much choice with each one working out properly. what you do really matters which I like.
- Do your goddamn sidequests!

I can do nothing other than agree with all the things Dinnesch said that weren't PC specific(Since I played it on console.)

It's an amazing game and miles above Fallout 3 in quality in my opinion.

Whereas Fallout 3 felt like an FPS with RPG elements, New Vegas feels like an RPG with FPS elements due to its excellent story and world design.

@Prince - I bought and played through F:NV a few months ago after delaying my purchase due to how buggy it was supposed to be. Definitely don't let the bugs deter you, since they seem to have been mostly addressed. The game performed sexily on a modest mobile GPU (9800m GT, comparable to desktop 8600GT). I scoured every inch of the wasteland and not one quest bugged out on me. The only bugs I encountered were enemies getting stuck in the landscape and increasingly frequent crashes to desktop towards the end of the game. Spam quicksave and the latter is a 30 second annoyance should it happen.

Enemies getting stuck in the landscape happened for me to from time to time on the 360 version, just like it did in Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

It's just poor path-finding, that's all.

I can't say NV ever bugged out on me aside from the odd crash here and there.
Just quick save often.

Looking forward to every single one of them. They're awesome, by the virtue of being designed by Chris Avellone.

Lonesome Road sounds awesome as well, and just by the context it seems like it'll be the final DLC for NV, obviously it'll be the last released out of the batch of three, but whether or not it is the absolute final I'm still unsure. Also, "hurricane-swept canyons" awesome.

Those things are the only things that made the Animal Friend perk worth a damn, I was pissed when scorpions were still attacking me after I got it
Well, probably because scorpions aren't considered as "animals" and more like "insects".

There are three types of distinctions of animals in Fallout. Animals as in molerats, insects as in those **** cazadors, and abominations like Deathclaws. Making it apply to insects would have made it absolutely useful because by the time you would get it, you have probably traversed most of the map for auto travel and thus dont really need to go anywhere. By this point most of the creatures you face are more annoyances but excluding Deathclaws makes it not overly powerful and does not "break" the game. Excluding just some of those infrequent bears and rats made it useless, especially since there were 3 levels of the damned perk

The Burned Man finds religion.

Also, pissed off bears from F3 seem to be returning.

Hasn't the Burned Man always had religion? He was supposedly a Mormon before he met Caesar, so at the very least he's returning to it, if he had ever left it at all. It's sort of an interesting aspect of his character, seeing as how the Mormons in Fallout are one of the more benevolent factions out in the wasteland and Caesar's Legion are the most brutal guys around. If he's still clinging to his old religion he's going to be a pretty twisted, interesting character. Antagonists in New Vegas have always been a really high point of the game so far. Also, Zion is an awesome setting, and it looks like they're doing a great job with it in the trailer. I'm pretty excited about this one.

He was a Mormon missionary.

Anyway, do we get to play as the Burned Man or is he the new companion? This is the part I'm confused with.

I'll wait until the GOTY edition and all it's patches are released before attempting NV. I hate broken games.

but NV isn't a broken game. I never had any problems during my 300hrs playthrough.

IMO, F:NV is a fixed game and F3 will always be broken...

but NV isn't a broken game. I never had any problems during my 300hrs playthrough.

300 hours? I assume that's not vanilla because I ran out of quests to do after around 70 hours :p

There's a ton of side quests in vegas. you can replay it to see the faction-based quests, and their consequences on the world. in fallout 3, it makes you think you're heading somewhere, but somewhere never arrives. you just wander around aimlessly, and explore bunch of random, cloned areas with no purpose. the player is given nothing to care about from beginning to end. you get the idea.

I think I spent about 300 hours in Fallout 3 (counting the DLCs). I barely remember any character or location from the game.

There's a ton of side quests in vegas. you can replay it to see the faction-based quests, and their consequences on the world. in fallout 3, it makes you think you're heading somewhere, but somewhere never arrives. you just wander around aimlessly, and explore bunch of random, cloned areas with no purpose. the player is given nothing to care about from beginning to end. you get the idea.

I think I spent about 300 hours in Fallout 3 (counting the DLCs). I barely remember any character or location from the game.

My total playtime for F:NV without DLC on the 360 is around 90 hours.

20 of those is going back just prior to the point of no return as for choosing what faction to side with and getting each different ending and such.

Still, it is possible I might have missed some tiny quest but I did my best to explore the world and talk to everyone.

Besides, you said playthrough, not playthroughs, indicating that one does not count replaying the game to see what different effects choices in quests have.

*Nitpicks*

this is a guy who, like me, didnt fast travel ANYWHERE. I always think of it as ruining immersion if i did, it took a while

I hope they discount the old DLC when the new one comes out next week...that or I have to wait til Fall time for the GOTY edition.

I could totally do that if it wasn't for the fact that I have a massive backlog and I can't afford to waste time like that.

Still, I explored alot. I got all the achievements in the game except for the ones related to that damned card-game.

I can proudly say that I never used fast travel either.
It made finding these locations and doing the quests all the more satisfying.

they need to make a FO movie....I'm having so much fun with just the BoS questline I haven't even done the main story parts yet!

Hey Tag every time I look something on the falloutwikia it seems your always the one contriving the pictures.
The Interwebs is a small place after all :p

hey tag, do you want the press packs for original fallout for a little price? ;)

I can proudly say that I never used fast travel either.
It made finding these locations and doing the quests all the more satisfying.

That's fine and all when you haven't already explored all the stuff that is between the two locations you travel between.

Since enemy spawn isn't really randomized at all, it gets very boring doing such a normal 'travel' when I know I won't encounter anything new.

I am also unsure what you mean by making finding these locations more satisfying, since you can't fast-travel to locations you haven't already been to in the first place.

I.e. if you want to fast travel somewhere you have to encounter it through normal travel in the first place.

Anyway, personally I'll always prefer Fallout 1 and 2's system over the modern one.

It allowed for more realistic travel-times and distances and such, but I know such a system probably wouldn't sit well with most modern gamers.

It also allowed for a far more randomized encounter-system than the one we get in F3 and FNV.

Well for whatever it's worth, I never used VATS. Initially because I wanted to just shoot shit properly, and later I found out that it actually reduces damage...then I experienced it.

Well for whatever it's worth, I never used VATS. Initially because I wanted to just shoot shit properly, and later I found out that it actually reduces damage...then I experienced it.

I HATED VATS. The way it took control away from your character for some stupid bullet time that still let you take damage is one of the most asinine parts of the game. I also hate how you cant stop a reload cycle to switch weapons or do anything else, especially when its with a damn missile launcher, ESPECIALLY when you do that stop wiggle the switch thing after the damn thing is reloaded

I've just finished Honest Hearts, its only took me 2 hours, it's very easy, and the story is very shallow.

Back