Folding@Home - #96276

I installed Win7 on my main and when I put SMP on there it didn't seem to work right. It has been down for the past week. I finally got around to installing 2 VMs with Ubuntu 64bit (each see 2 CPU cores). They have the 64bit Linux folding client with -SMP tag.
Looks like I'm getting ~1500 PPD with each of them. Might see if I can iron out some more ppd.

What happened to Numbers? He was a solid folder for a week and then, kaput.

I'm back! I had to send my graphic card in for some fixing, and now I'm folding like before! :D

It looks like my 64bit SMP Linux client under VMware is hitting about 2400 PPD. The GPU is up and down but right now is doing 1700 PPD (ATI 4850).
The 2 8800GTs I have on my other PC usually do ~5000 PPD each. I have a couple standard clients to fill the dual CPU on that PC. I might try to put a SMP instead though.
I'm back! I had to send my graphic card in for some fixing, and now I'm folding like before! :D
woot!

If you notice a new name folding for this team, 'thekurrgan' is a friend who turned the folding client loose on a new computer to see how it'd run. I didn't think it ran long enough to finish a full work unit (8 loaded cores of an i7 was heating it up something fierce), but there he is.

Been a while since I've checked this.

Wow the team is currently at pos 446, we should get some more people into it try to stop losing places

I'm back ;)

Also, we really need some more people from the community to step up and help out with the folding. Principally we need people with decent graphics cards (CPU folding is kind of pitiful in comparison to GFX folding tbh) to grab the high performance client and add some muscle to the cause: -

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

We were on course to break into the top 400, but we are gradually slipping down towards the 500s now.

Got the GPU client, says im getting ~ 60 iterations/ sec. Is that about right for a 5850? It doesn't seem to be working my card very hard, with the activity monitor on my ATI control center going from 0 to ~20%. Does it max out or something? Its pretty much staying right on 59.94 iter/sec.

Also, is there a way to have it keep going full speed when using a browser or something? It keeps doing 1 iter/sec whenever the FAH display's window isn't the focused window.

The ATi cards don't fold as fast as the Nvidias as a rule (but it's still faster than cpu folding). Also the pull is probably about right. It's never going to use all your GPUs processing power. You should be able to fold and play most games without any noticeable impact generally (Crysis might be another matter). You don't need to have the display window open either when you fold, that's just a graphic representation.

Ha, the EVGA team has 92 pages of users.

Edit: Oh no, we fell behind Slovakia.

/shame

The ATi cards don't fold as fast as the Nvidias as a rule (but it's still faster than cpu folding). Also the pull is probably about right. It's never going to use all your GPUs processing power. You should be able to fold and play most games without any noticeable impact generally (Crysis might be another matter). You don't need to have the display window open either when you fold, that's just a graphic representation.

Ok, WOW, i'm super confused now.

The client uses 100% of my GPU power, should that not be the case? I had to use -forcegpu ati_r700 to get it to work.

Should it not be using 100% (when i'm not running anything).

Also, I have a 2nd PC and PS3 I could get in on the action. How does the PS3 stack up to the GPU client performance wise?

PS3 and PC are both in my room, so I'd like to keep noise to a minimum, and the PS3 is super quiet.

Is Pegasus Asus from here? He's got some crazy scores. In Jan he did ~440 WUs! Crazy when you think I could probably only do 8 per day maximum.

Also, I have a 2nd PC and PS3 I could get in on the action. How does the PS3 stack up to the GPU client performance wise?

PS3 and PC are both in my room, so I'd like to keep noise to a minimum, and the PS3 is super quiet.

It goes, CPU as the slowest processor.
Then the PS3 is faster than that
Then GPU's are the fastest.

The client uses 100% of my GPU power, should that not be the case? I had to use -forcegpu ati_r700 to get it to work.

Well mine, now that its actually working properly, is using ~70%. I'm thinking 100% is a bit much, but I'm certain the load shouldn't have been as low as it was in my previous post.

Should it not be using 100% (when i'm not running anything).

Is Pegasus Asus from here? He's got some crazy scores. In Jan he did ~440 WUs! Crazy when you think I could probably only do 8 per day maximum.

It says 100%, but it's not actually running your card to the limit. Trust me, you can play games and fold at the same time and at most you'll notice a slight drop in FPS. Though a lot depends on how many bells and whistles you've got running in the game.

Well mine, now that its actually working properly, is using ~70%. I'm thinking 100% is a bit much, but I'm certain the load shouldn't have been as low as it was in my previous post.

What settings did you use mate? You are on a similar card right? I tried reducing the load manually in the client, but all that did is made Catalyst slow down the fan to maintain the temp!

I'm really confused now, the client uses what it says is 100% in the Catalyst centre. It's producing the heat of 100% (far hotter than any game i've ran). I don't want it getting that hot if FAH aren't getting the full benefit.

I'll look at getting my PS3 on today, I only use it as a paperweight anyway. Herp Derp.

Well, I'm in. Installed the client and added your team number, leaving it to run overnight. Everything seems to be working.

How does the score work? I have 5 work units, almost 6 completed, but I'm ahead of people who have more work units, and behind some people who have fewer work units.

What gives?

I guess some of the work units are smaller or larger than others?

I guess some of the work units are smaller or larger than others?

This. The units are put through a computer (I think it's a Core 2) then assigned a value depending on how long that computer takes to complete them. Some units take longer than others so you get more points for them.

Nice. We are upto 41K points per day in terms of team output. That's a whopping 29K more than we were doing before hand. We've a couple of heavy hitter teams about to leap frog us, but after that it should be plain sailing up the table for the next few months. GJ to all those involved. ;)

:cheers:

How safe is it to be running the GPU client basically 95% of the time? I don't turn my PC off often and so far I've just been running it 24/7 except for while playing high-end games.

:cheers:

How safe is it to be running the GPU client basically 95% of the time? I don't turn my PC off often and so far I've just been running it 24/7 except for while playing high-end games.

Unless it's running super hot it should be fine assuming you have decent case ventilation. Like you I keep my machine on 95% of the time and I've never had any real issues. If I'm playing games I tend to pause it.

41k per day is an awesome improvement! I know myself & Ennui picked up after your recent drive but I'm interested to know who else has joined to hit those levels?

If CPUID's hardware monitor is telling the truth, I'm staying between 58 and 67C, idling at about 61C with folding running. 67C is folding + gaming; the only reason I have started disabling folding while gaming is because in NFS Hot Pursuit I get some kind of artifacting sometimes, a minor graphical issue that could be due to overheating / overtaxing the card but I think is actually probably just a bug or drivers thing considering the temps (and my case has 3 240mm fans and is basically made of metal mesh so I think the temperature sensors are reporting correctly).

Glenn, you and me and Kayadi account for a big chunk of the folding per day since we appear to have the nicest GPUs of the bunch (we all have GTX460s). At the moment the three of us put out ~25k out of the 41k (about 60%). The rest is from a couple of slow but steady sluggers and a bunch of people who were inactive but are once again active. BTW, even you guys who only get about 500 points per day or don't fold all the time are awesome and a great help :)

I wish I had been folding for longer, I've considered doing it for years and I've always seen the HL2 team (shit I remember checking the HL2 team stats probably like 4 years ago if not more, that has been around as long as I can remember) but I was just too lazy to figure out what exact program and settings to use. Looking at these numbers it seems that Kayadi's been folding for years on end and Asus has been since the very dawn of time.

I love the way you always mis-spell my name there dude ;)

BTW, I think I've only been folding for about 2 years tbh (Asus was folding way before me), and I was on a 8600 GTX initially and then a 9800 GTX after that. I had a break for a few months, but when I upgraded to the 460 GTX decided to get back into it.

Anyhows at some point I'll have to have a couple of weeks off (decorating), so plenty of opportunity for you guys to get some ground on me then ;).

However I'm really pleased with the direction of things, and for the positive response by so many people, and yes every contribution counts, regardless of frequency or size. If you look at the overtake table: -

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_overtake.php?s=&t=96276&p=5

Albeit we are going to drop a few positions in the next couple of weeks to a few super teams (the guys in red beneath us), after that we should start to move up again and with some gusto. Albeit I don't expect us to maintain our present output indefinitely (plenty of games to play this year), we should get into the top 400 by the second half of the year around Oct/Nov I figure.

Also if you are playing newer more intensive titles I'd recommend pausing your folding until you are done. Older stuff, that's less intensive isn't going to stretch your GPU, but anything coming out this year probably will.

Holy shit. I have literally thought and pronounced your name as Kayadi... forever. Not once did I notice that it's Kadayi. That changes everything. I'm not sure how I feel about this strange new world.

I've decided that I'm probably gonna try getting to 20 work units and then I'm probably going to stop. I'm halfway there now.

Not enough motivation.

Why wouldn't you just leave it on in the background whenever you aren't gaming? It's no detriment to you and it's for SCIENCE man!

I've decided that I'm probably gonna try getting to 20 work units and then I'm probably going to stop. I'm halfway there now.

Not enough motivation.

Fair dues dude. Appreciate the effort you've put in anyway.

I've been inactive the past few days, but my PC is due a whole load of on - time over the next few weeks, I'll run FAH at the same time.

I can't commit to leave my machine on all the time, cause it's in my room and too noisy at night, but whenever my PC IS on, I'll fold.

Why wouldn't you just leave it on in the background whenever you aren't gaming? It's no detriment to you and it's for SCIENCE man!

It's a detriment to my video card!

I've been wondering, isn't it far more cost effective to donate the money you save on the energy bill to charity?
I mean like, if you have your computer using like 3 times as much energy as in idle(+/- 300w opposed to 100w in my case) it makes quite a difference over a couple of months amirite?

I've been wondering, isn't it far more cost effective to donate the money you save on the energy bill to charity?
I mean like, if you have your computer using like 3 times as much energy as in idle(+/- 300w opposed to 100w in my case) it makes quite a difference over a couple of months amirite?

Most of my power bill is standard fees so running my computer would only make a few cents worth of difference over that time. It depends on how much you get charged per kW but I would be surprised it it was much different.

Also the point is that you have this running while you're using your computer anyway. It then uses the % of the CPU that you're not using, you don't have to run it all the time if you don't want to :)

You guys realize that you're about to hit 30,000 work units right?

Hard to believe that a third of them are from Pegasus. :eek: And almost another third from Kadayi.

EDIT:

20110117163037clipboard.png

I'm scaling back... keeping an eye on the electricity bill.

For some reason my name keeps changing back to NL on my work computer. Driving me nuts.

Enjoyed it, but I'm going to have to stop guys. It's making my games crash and takes up a lot of power. Good luck to all!

Thanks for the contributions Schall!

A friend of mine is building a new rig with a GTX 460 soon, I'll get him to start folding on our team :p

Back