Folding@Home - #96276

...just finished a SMP work unit, so that client is turned off while the GPU2 client continues - the CPU usage is maybe half a percent. I was under the impression that newer video card drivers kept the GPU client load away from the CPU? I'm using driver version 180.60.

Ultimately they intend the GPU client to use only the GPU, but it does require a small percentage of CPU at present. I find running both SMP and GPU at the same time doesn't really cause any problems tbh.

So that MPICH client can't be installed unless your windows user account has a password?

Just seems to say enter the password for your user account when using the install.bat as far as I can see.
I don't have a pw though. Or if I do I've forgotten :p

Just seems to say enter the password for your user account when using the install.bat as far as I can see.
I don't have a pw though. Or if I do I've forgotten :p

You could set one up. It's not a bad idea anyhows from a general security viewpoint tbh dude.

Even though the newest drivers from Nvidia and maybe ATI use less CPU usage under XP and Vista for the GPU2 client...you still want it running at a slightly raised priority if you run a CPU client with it. Not in task manager but in the GPU2 config. Because it still polls the CPU to keep it on track, though not for the work. You don't want the lower scoring CPU client to take a second away from the much-higher-scoring GPU2 client. It can make a little difference in how much work is done and points given. Although small it can add up. Might as well have it setup optimally. Also some WUs on the GPU2 client do look to spike the CPU more than others.

For the SMP client to run at all (not just the install) it needs a pw on the account. It isn't for the Folding app from stanford but rather the component that they are using so their client talks to all cpu cores (eg. MPICH) which needs the PW to run.

The GPU2 client was changed from 'lowest possible' to 'slightly higher', which I find rather funny as the only two options. I've been using the Deino client for the CPU work. Since I haven't been switching out of this account, there haven't been any unstable errors in the log file, so I'm glad that was a relatively easy 'fix'.

I'm going to join you guys soon as HLFALLOUT is dead pretty much now. I was the biggest contributor to that websites Folding@Home stats and I'm willing to join a noble cause

Steadily climbing the in-team ladder.

oh yeah, and I just joined on my PC again too. since I have Vista now and a faster graphics card it'll be even better

Sweet in the top 800 now, and very shortly we should overtake Mozilla Europe ;)

Finally got all my networked computers under FahMon.
When the old client finishes its work unit, I'll upgrade it (it's 5.03 now).

Your machines/clients down for a bit the last day or so, Kadayi?

...spoke too soon. The SMP client hung earlier today (status actually said *hung*). I tried removing and reinstalling it, but it won't configure - hangs in just enough time to see a flicker of the window. Are there registry keys that I'm missing? I hate to search and destroy anything called folding, for example, because the GPU client is still running fine. I deleted the entire directory, uninstalled Deino MPI, and installed fresh.

Your machines/clients down for a bit the last day or so, Kadayi?

The GPU has been a bit flaky in finishing units lately, so I've given it a bit of a rest (up and running again now) and a driver update. Also the multi-core SMP client beta just expired and I only just noticed and downloaded the newer version. The quad at work should still be chugging away though.

My hope is that we get into the top 500 by the end of the year, and so far I'd say we are well ahead of schedule, so a bit of personal slowdown is no biggie, plus it might encourage a few more people to try and catch me up ;)

Annoyed about being leap frogged by Team Talbot...but what can you do, they have one guy folding 13K+ units a day... :|

Yeah, just wondering. No biggie.

I've got a 8800GT that isn't installed on one of my machines, hasn't been for some time. Had a stuck fan so it was always crashing. Got some WD40 in there and it spins OK. Going to be getting that guy up and running in a few days (for 5k PPD more). If it still keeps crashing then I'm calling for them to fix it under warranty. I'm not shelling out for a new cooler even if it's just $30.

edit
GPU isn't stable. But I did add a windows SMP client to the machine. The CPU is an AMD X2 4600+ so it probably will only get 1000-1200 PPD.

Awesome! I've always wanted to be on a winning team! if anyone has a PS3 and they're not using it all the time, just try Folding@Home. In the winter time my PS3 keeps my room warm and I shut off the heat coming into my room.

Asus

You having hardware problems dude? You've dropped off some recently...:O

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=96276

Normally Peg is leaps and bounds ahead in terms of daily production as he has a bunch of rigs on the go Warp, but apparently I'm catching him up at present, which is unusual...(albeit will take a good year or so..). We need all the points we can get if we are going to break into the top 500.

i'm trying, my ps3 is almost constantly running so i can get us somewhere but i don't know how else we're going to do it

LOL. I'm not having a go at you or anything dude. I'm just noticed that Pegs production suddenly dropped off and I'm hoping his PCs are all right. ;)

I've got 1 GPU client going right now. Moved to a new APT so I'm paying electricity. Keeping the bills down. :(

I've got 1 GPU client going right now. Moved to a new APT so I'm paying electricity. Keeping the bills down. :(

Fair dues (I know the feeling of watching the pennies). We should still be on course to break into the top 500 by the end of the year though, so it's no biggie. Was more concerned you had a major hardware failure.

If i use this will it prevent my PC from using it's power saving features? I don't mind doing this while i'm on the PC. But i don't want it to stop my PC going to sleep and stuff.

If i use this will it prevent my PC from using it's power saving features? I don't mind doing this while i'm on the PC. But i don't want it to stop my PC going to sleep and stuff.

Hi Pimpin

AFAIK it shouldn't stop ok. Ideally if you can you should run one of the high end GPU clients which will indicate it's status in your taskbar tray, you can turn it on and off as you like then if you are worried about it.

High end GPU clients available here:-

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

Note: the GPU client will run happily when you are playing games (it will cost you a couple of FPS in performance), but if you find you do suffer slowdown then you can always pause it between gaming sessions.

Kad

A while ago I noticed my gpu2 client going slower than it used to. I'm pretty sure it used to use around 50% CPU all the time, but CPU usage had suddenly stopped and WU production was slow.
I switched to the smp client for a bit, but I've gone back to the gpu2 and it's still messed up:
wtfcod.png

Going from 0-50% cpu usage every 10 seconds or so. WUs are slow. I don't know why it started doing this. It was working fine before and I didn't change anything ;_;

(8800GT & E6750)

EDIT:

On a new WU now and it seems to be in order :|

wtfh.png

Yes that's what I thought.

It's still going up and down from 0 to 50% usage. Maybe it depends on the WU?

The units seem to have changed recently in terms of size, lots of 8000, 20000 units, rather than the 15000, 25000. Likewise I'm finding fluctuations as well in the CPU usage, but overall my production rate seems the same tbh.

Back