Game of Thrones thread with lots of books spoilers inside spoiler tags

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
The other thread is full of spoilers. Let's keep that one for people who have read A Song of Ice and Fire.

So how'll everyone be watching the show? I'll either been watching it on Sky on my own or with a friend off his PC. Can't wait to see how everything looks in full instead of just in trailers. Also looking forward to seeing how everyone pulls off the characters. Especially Viserys. That guy was great in Doctor Who.

I'll be watching it the Mondays after it airs most likely. My friend is getting HBO for the show, but he works Sunday nights, so he is going to DVR it, and then we'll watch it the next day. Dont know if DVR viewings matter to HBO in terms of ratings (I imagine they would, since they're not an advertisement-based channel), but I'll be buying the bluray set for sure when it comes out, to support it. If I have the money by then, I'll be signing up for season 2 so I can watch it when it airs.

Just caught the trailer for this the other day, had never even heard of it but it looks amazing. Will definitely be watching it.

Will be watching the first 6 episodes next weekend, after that on the Sky Atlantic channel.

Sky will be getting high ratings over here I expect, they've been spamming adverts for a month or so.

Going to be watching it with my brother, and his wife on Sundays.

New trailer out. I dont know if its because we're so close to the premiere or what, but this trailer seems like its easily the best one yet. Got me all excited again.

That trailer was perhaps the best yet. I'm still scrambling to find someone with HBO in my area. I desperately want to watch this show legally.

Watched the first two episodes so far. Damn good. Sansa is maybe not cast that well but the rest are excellent.

Apparently it's looking to be the most expensive TV series ever made, with around 50m or so on the first season of 8 or 10 episodes (not sure which). Second season already approved.

looking forward to this. it's aired on what, sunday night in america? i'll be watching on monday, then.

Apparently it's looking to be the most expensive TV series ever made, with around 50m or so on the first season of 8 or 10 episodes (not sure which). Second season already approved.

No way, not even close. Rome's first season (12 episodes, compared to GoT's 10 episodes) cost HBO $85 million and BBC $15 million. Also, the second season isn't official, though people talk about it as if its a sure thing. People are saying they're just waiting until after the premiere to announce it. This is from Thursday:

HBO’s lavish fantasy epic Game of Thrones may be the biggest TV gamble in years, but even before the drama premieres Sunday night, odds are favorable that HBO will renew the show. Showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss have been told to start thinking about storylines for next season, while HBO series chief Sue Naegle tells EW network executives feel optimistic that the series will get another round.

“We’re not nervous about it,” she says. “We’re all hopeful for a second season. We’re all feeling confident creatively.”

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/04/14/game-of-thrones-season-two/

No way, not even close. Rome's first season (12 episodes, compared to GoT's 10 episodes) cost HBO $85 million and BBC $15 million. Also, the second season isn't official, though people talk about it as if its a sure thing.

£ vs $ maybe? The filming is in the UK after all/

£ vs $ maybe? The filming is in the UK after all/

But HBO is an American company, don't know why they'd report their numbers in Euros. Anyways, I've seen several reports that, while there was a chance it would surpass Rome as the most expensive shit ever, it ended up falling short as they actually filmed it. Which is a wonderful thing for us, because now it wont scare HBO as much as it did with Rome, while getting pretty much the same treatment. Rome is one of my favorite TV shows ever, and the production values of it boggle the mind. If GoT has half the mind bogglery of Rome I'd be well satisfied.

It's because of the costs that HBO are renewing it - they need a good return on the huge outlay on sets, props, costumes and all that. The production values are superb in the first four episodes at least. Obviously the Grim North isn't as impressive as King's Landing though.

I thought the first episode was excellent! It did not feel like an hour to me, which I suppose is high praise. I may have had minor quibbles with it but overall I was immensely satisfied. This was a very promising beginning. I'm interested in seeing what nonfans will think of it.

That was some damn fine television.
Love the intro too, great tune and great visuals.

I wouldn't really call myself a huge fan of the books as I only read the first one and it was really slow to get into, took me far too long to read it really.
But, I remembered enough to not be completely lost when I watched the show.
I definitely plan on checking out the rest of the books in the near future though.

Can't wait for next week's ep.

When I saw the credits I wondered whether the SoIaF world might be some kind of dyson sphere with a miniature artificial sun, the rings passing by it in odd patterns causing the strange seasons.

But it's probably just to have a fancy intro.

just finished watching it, very good, very promising so far. lots of faces and names to remember but i can relate that to the start of any good tv show that bounces between many different characters and arcs. i was baffled by the pace of the wire for about five episodes before it all began to sink in.

eagerly anticipating next weeks episode!

On the issue of ratings:

HBO isn't making an official statement on the ratings until tomorrow probably, but preliminary numbers say it got 1.6 million households. Not terribly good when compared to the premier of other shows as in the chart below. Hopefully it follows Rome's path and continually grows, rather than Boardwalk's path where it drops sharply and struggles to come back.

According to data obtained by Vulture, GoT earned a 1.6 rating in Nielsen's overnight household sample. By way of comparison, last September's debut of Boardwalk Empire on HBO averaged a 2.8 rating in the overnights. Household ratings aren't used much anymore, with most networks tending to look at overall viewership or demographic averages to gauge a program's success. What's more, because of HBO's smaller distribution — it's in about 28 million homes — household overnight ratings can vary substantially from the national total viewer figure. All of these caveats aside, down is down: Based on this snapshot of its performance, it's clear GoT won't come close to matching the nearly 5 million viewers who watched the Boardwalk Empire premiere in September.
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/04/early_ratings_game_of_thrones.html

http://winter-is-coming.net/2011/04/a-game-of-ratings/
XAF6p.jpg

EDIT: So Im about to head over to my friend's place to watch this, and I got a text from him saying "Oh, by the way Greg is coming. Also so is winter."

I laughed so god damn hard. Just though I'd share.

Only the first episode, but I'm impressed so far. The way they handled the pilot gives me high hopes for the rest of the season.

I'm impressed with how much word-for-word dialog the kept from the book. Unfortunately they also kept "Don't wake the dragon" which is the corniest phrase ever written. Hopefully thats the only time its ever said.

Thing about the premiere figures is that HBO are spamming the episode all week and had it on like 3 times on the first night. That's not going to help viewing numbers for the very first show but may do overall. Also don't you yanks have some basketball on or something?

Only the first episode, but I'm impressed so far. The way they handled the pilot gives me high hopes for the rest of the season.

The first 60% remains very good. One slower episode with more exposition though, I think ep4.

viewing figures were never going to skyrocket straight away considering that it's a fantasy drama with a not so familiar name behind it. boardwalk empire launched with terence winter writing and steve buschemi playing the leading role, right away that is already connected with the sopranos right off the bat. that's a pull right there.

i expect this to gain traction within the next couple of episodes, if the quality keeps up at least.

HBO really needs to find a way to let people pay for online streaming and bypass the cable networks completely. They're telling me that in order to get online streaming of HBO shows, I gotta pay $100+ through comcast first? Frak that noise. I haven't had a TV for the past 5 years and don't intend to get cable now.

I wish they would nab a deal with Netflix Streaming like Starz did with Spartacus.

HBO really needs to find a way to let people pay for online streaming and bypass the cable networks completely. They're telling me that in order to get online streaming of HBO shows, I gotta pay $100+ through comcast first? Frak that noise. I haven't had a TV for the past 5 years and don't intend to get cable now.

I wish they would nab a deal with Netflix Streaming like Starz did with Spartacus.
I would probably pay to watch A Game of Thrones like this if it was something like two or three bucks an episode.

Never read the books, but holy cow that was good. I can't wait for the next episodes. I kinda wanted a lil more sword+shield bloody violence, but that's just me.

Same with more awkward sex. A lot of it.

Also, the official numbers are substantially better than those preliminary ones.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...grossed-4-2-million-on-hbo-sunday-night/89922
The initial telecast of the premiere of Game of Thrones averaged 2.2 million viewers (and a 0.9 adults 18-49 rating) and grossed 4.2 million viewers across multiple Sunday night airings on the primary HBO channel.

As Eejit said, they showed it multiple times on premier night, so obviously the numbers for the first airing would be lower than if they hadn't. 4.2 million is a solid number.

Season 2 airs April of next year? **** yes!

I'm glad. They need to keep up near-continuous production, because those kids aren't gonna stop growing...

And they need to put pressure on Martin to stop being a slacker.

This guy reviewed the first episode without having read the books. It's a good, funny review, but skip to the 8:00 mark for his reaction to the twist ending. It's hysterically funny.

Haha, that was pretty hilarious. I wonder how he'll feel when he realizes what actually happened. Like,

How hes not actually dead, which would probably make him feel tricked and like its a cheap cop out. But then he'll find out that hes completely crippled.

Watched episode one with my dad last night. HBO likes to throw boobs in everywhere they can. This series is a perfect match for them. They've made Tyrion into a bigger perv too :p

Seems good so far. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

I feel kinda bad for the actress that plays Dany. Her first few sex scenes are pretty garish, and I read an interview where she was saying how she was really scared by it and how she was letting her family know about it (in that she wasn't really).

"Obviously, knowing it was HBO and knowing it was going to be 100 percent tasteful, totally legit, everything is all wonderful," Clarke explained. "And knowing the character, getting to grips with the character, knowing what needs to happen and what needs to be shown, as a young girl it's obviously a huge thing and obviously really scary," she revealed.

Clarke added that she quickly got over her brief moments of insecurity.

"You just overcome it, because as soon as I'm in the character that's it: You're her, you're not yourself," she said. "And they did it beautifully, they did it tastefully. I'll watch it first before my dad watches it," she joked.

Does her dad know how much of his daughter will be shown onscreen? Or what the character goes through?

"It was a dialogue with my mom, and my mom would tell my dad," Clarke said. "And my brother doesn't know at all," she added, laughing.

Shits gotta be so weird seeing your daughter get fake raped in front of 4 million people.

Back