Game of Thrones thread with lots of books spoilers inside spoiler tags

Just a quick question: How many of you guys are watching this on your own HBO subscription? I won't ask what the alternative is.

I really wish HBO would offer an online series subscription service. I think there are a lot of mid-20-to-30-year-olds with disposable incomes that don't own TVs out there. A lot of people don't just sit down and watch TV anymore, they watch shows. And HBO makes some of the best shows. So if you don't own a TV, you probably won't get an HBO subscription. That means either waiting to buy on DVD like a year later, or downloading. I would probably pay $5 an episode or $60 a season to get high quality streaming access of Game Of Thrones, or the other series that I've followed. Basically cut the cable provider out of the picture and take all of the profit (or share it with AT&T now that there are download caps).

Recording it with Sky and then watching it later.

Nope, don't have HBO in the UK. I can get it on Sky though.

Just a quick question: How many of you guys are watching this on your own HBO subscription? I won't ask what the alternative is.

I really wish HBO would offer an online series subscription service. I think there are a lot of mid-20-to-30-year-olds with disposable incomes that don't own TVs out there. A lot of people don't just sit down and watch TV anymore, they watch shows. And HBO makes some of the best shows. So if you don't own a TV, you probably won't get an HBO subscription. That means either waiting to buy on DVD like a year later, or downloading. I would probably pay $5 an episode or $60 a season to get high quality streaming access of Game Of Thrones, or the other series that I've followed. Basically cut the cable provider out of the picture and take all of the profit (or share it with AT&T now that there are download caps).

My cousin got a HBO subscription just for GoT, and I watch it over at his place. I would totally jump on a service like you described though.

My friends get HBO at their apartment so I usually watch it over there. I would definitely pay a couple bucks per episode to watch it stream in HD online at home though.

Don't have HBO, so I just downloaded it.. I like it so far. Need to watch 2-4 however.

the bath tub scene was a bit too long, but it was a good episode. a bit plodding but everything will pick up when the shit hits the fan later on.

Lot of exposition but necessary to establish the background of a world brand new to the audience. I'm getting a sense that this is a fantasy world where the fantasy has been a thing of the past for some time now.

Pace picks up again in eps 5 and 6, not to worry :)

I liked Ep4. I can't help but imagine fat nerdy old George R.R. Martin breathing heavily and sweating a little with excitement as he writes all the weird ass sex scenes though. I shouldn't have watched those behind the scenes vignettes, I'm too judgmental. Martin just looks like such a self-satisfied fat nerd in the interviews. For the same reason I can't stand watching Joss Whedon interviews, it makes it harder for me to feel pure enjoyment of his work. I guess I'm just a judgmental asshole.

I have never read the books so I am super excited to see where all this goes when the inevitable conflict begins. Two things I am sure of:
1) Jon Snow is clearly going to be a ****ing badass
2) I am going to be super pleased when that long haired blonde Dragon king-in-exile fag gets whats coming to him

I think it was pointed out in another thread but he started writing the series a good 20 years ago. Which makes the sex scenes slightly less creepy.
There's also some stuff thrown in gratuitously, like when Tyrion or Littlefinger are around.

I think it was pointed out in another thread but he started writing the series a good 20 years ago. Which makes the sex scenes slightly less creepy.
There's also some stuff thrown in gratuitously, like when Tyrion or Littlefinger are around.

Haha yeah he's the lead writer for the TV series as well though I think :p

Another good episode. With Tyrion's abduction, things are about to really take off...

@Ennui. I always thought Martin looked like a werewolf sea captain.

Jesus ****.
Just got caught up and watched the last 3 eps.

I pretty much hate all of the Lannisters, none of them but Tyrion(God damn, the end of the last episode was so great.) are even remotely likable!
And god damn, I really REALLY want to beat the living **** out of Viserys.

I love it.
This just might be my favorite HBO show since The Sopranos.

Also, the theme song is stuck in my damn head.

Unrelated but still related:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0IFg7S6QFA

last episode was great, it even went and made me order the first book. five pounds from amazon is a steal, and it's been long enough since i should of gotten around to reading it. looking forward to it!

Jamie is pretty likable. He's not nice, but he doesn't pretend to be anything that he's not.

i liked when jaime and the stark rider reminisced over a past battle, i always enjoy it when pompous holier than thou characters manage to step down just for a minute and have what seems to be a genuine conversation with someone that isn't on the same level as them hierarchy-wise. shame it ended with that, but still.

The same thing happened with him and Barristan Selmy in the episode before this one. I thought that was kind of cool, they seem to be trying to make him a more sympathetic character in the show than he is in the books.

Lot of exposition but necessary to establish the background of a world brand new to the audience. I'm getting a sense that this is a fantasy world where the fantasy has been a thing of the past for some time now.
That's a pretty decent summary. IIRC the last dragons died 300 years before the start of the series.

8z3u3.gif

Episode 5, best one so far, and only one sexposition scene. (that's sex-exposition, not sex-position, where they add the boring exposition dialogue in during sex to make it interesting).

Just watched the first epp...... not only is it a world of tits but there is a orgy with a midget. This show has everything!!!

However it also seems to have a fairly cool story so I can see it lasting awhile yet.

a nice homo-erotic scene in ep5,i hope for more

Wow, they really gayed up Renly. There was always the implication that he was gay, but there was never anything like that in the books.

I don't remember much about Loras from the books, but he seemed to play his character right. I mean, except for the gay part. I honestly didn't ever think he was gay too.

They were definitely gay in the books, they just made it clearer earlier in the show. Also Tyrell doesn't even look like he could stand up with a suit of armor on, let alone fight or joust.

Loras and Renly are gay in the books.
It's not a secret either. Jaime at once point threatens Loras with "I'll stick this sword someplace even Renly didn't find." and Stannis, Cersi and Littlefinger all touch on it when talking about if he got his wife pregnant.

Just watched the fifth episode. Lots of good violence. I'm starting to understand the characters all a bit more. The show has its weak moments but overall I really enjoy it. It's not quite on the level of some other HBO dramas but I enjoy its refreshingly different setting. I guess it isn't really fair to compare it to historical dramas like Rome or Deadwood or Boardwalk Empire.

Also, please use another thread to discuss the book plots and stuff that happens after the story's current point in the show. If you read the OP that is the purpose of this thread, and it's too easy to mistake spoiler tags for being related to the latest episode as opposed to discussion of the books.

i just finished up watching both episode 6 and 7 and they were incredible. show is ****ing amazing.

really eager to finish up my current book so that i get cracking with a game of thrones.

Episodes six and seven were great, best two so far. I am digging the shit out of this show. Went out and bought the first novel today.

Back