Game of Thrones thread with lots of books spoilers inside spoiler tags

TMQTU.jpg

Easily the most "not what I was expecting" cast so far. She looks nothing like I imagined. Even beyond the whole "she's supposed to be ugly" bit, the actress is like a twig. Ain't no way she'd be able to lift a sword, let alone be able to hold her own against legit soldiers with those scrawny arms. Her being 6 foot, 2 inches tall only makes it worse. Lanky as a mother****er. Shes going to have to eat some more, work out, and get some really bulky clothes to even have a chance of pulling off Brienne, as I imagined her at least.

Attachments

• TMQTU.jpg
    TMQTU.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 2,505
Yeah but it's not like we need to see her naked. They could easily just bulk up her costume.

Though that said they didn't bother for the Knight of Flowers.

Yeah but it's not like we need to see her naked. They could easily just bulk up her costume.

Though that said they didn't bother for the Knight of Flowers.

And we've seen him pretty much naked.

And he doesn't have the figure of a knight at all.

I don't think she's that great of a casting choice. Brienne is supposed to be frickin' massive. I imagine her as a gargantuan, hulking musclebound monstrosity with eyes too far apart and stringy hair and no tits to speak of, man hands and unshaven man legs.

I've seen the chick they cast in The Tudors, I just don't really get it. The show has had some incredibly well-done casting choices (Eddard Stark, Arya, Jon Snow, Samwell Tarly, Lord Mormont, Jorah, Danerys, Viserys, Sansa, Joffrey, Robert Baratheon, etc) and some ones I don't like so much (the Hound isn't how I imagined him... and Renlys should be a lot more badass and handsome... and like you guys have said, Loras Tyrell looks like he couldn't even hold a sword up with one hand much less win tourneys).

I'm on book 4 (A Feast For Crows) now, loving it. A Storm of Swords was AWESOME.

(book 3 spoilers)
Holy **** the Red Wedding. I saw it coming about 50 pages ahead of time (especially when I saw how polite the old Frey was being) but still. GRRM just LOVES to shit all over the Starks, unceasingly. I hope that at the end of the series they come out on top where they should be... Also, I have never been so satisfied as when Joffrey was poisoned, what a great moment. Same with Tyrion being condemned, then ceasing to give the slightest **** about his own life and murdering Tywin. Jamie is also fast becoming my favorite surviving character. Also, Lord Commander Jon Snow FTW

I don't think she's that great of a casting choice. Brienne is supposed to be frickin' massive. I imagine her as a gargantuan, hulking musclebound monstrosity with eyes too far apart and stringy hair and no tits to speak of, man hands and unshaven man legs.
Good luck finding that actress. I think managing one that's six-three is a big achievement as it is.

I have seen plenty of ugly, hulking women in my life, it can't be that hard for someone whose job is as a casting director :upstare:

Just off the top of my head I think Missi Pyle would be more appropriate, if far from perfect (she's in Dodgeball and Galaxy Quest among other things: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missi_Pyle )

She's six feet, somewhat big boned and looks weird enough that they could easily uglify her to Brienne's level.

I'm not totally writing off the woman they chose to cast, since they can do a lot with makeup / costume / camera angles, but Brienne is a major character and I just don't see it based on that pic and based on what I saw of the girl in The Tudors. I just keep looking at how skinny her wrists and legs are and thinking wtf.

Girls today complain their dresses make them look fat. Girls today have never worn three layers of boiled leather, mail, and heavy steel plate.

I'm sure we can uglify and bulk out our Maid of Tarth with makeup and costuming easily, and she's already 6'3" to boot. So long as she can act, I have no complaints.

Now where are my Dragonstone Three!? Those are the ones I really care about.

Does anyone else have trouble visually separating Varys and Illyrio while reading? I do, they seem similar to me in the way he describes them, except one has a beard and his pee-pee.

Haven't seen them before but they look pretty close to my mental images of the characters, so right on. Especially Melisandre.

Oh. I don't care if they replace Gregor, but I flipped out for a second thinking they replaced the actor who plays Sandor.

The actor they had did look exactly like I imagined Gregor would look. The new guy is fairly slender given his height, whereas the old guy was stocky as well as tall. Oh well.

OMG that is awesome, I loved that little man. He totally deserved it!

Clegane recast.

What the ****, the dude was perfect!

there are worst times to recast someone. so far, all he did in game of thrones was roar and shout a bit, later on down the line recasting him would of been a lot more jarring. actually, saying that, he just roars and shouts a lot later on also... whatever, this news didn't bother me in the slightest, basically. as ennui said, recasting sandor would of been pretty what the ****.

ZT should audition for a Lannister role.

Not too fuffed about the Gregor thing. The original guy sounded real dumb, and was a fairly shit actor, so its good they're getting him out of it now. Still, its going to make an already confusing cast and story all the more confusing for people not privy to this knowledge.

Meh, I just hate it when they replace actors of characters in general.

I just watched the whole series these past three days, and Jesus H Christ, what a show. Every single character is intriguing.

I finally started reading the new book (about 1/2 way through) and all the memories of whats happened to everyone came flooding back. You guys just watching the show are in for a crazy ride.

I got two questions:

At one point it is mentioned that Ser Jorah is a spy for the King in the land across the Narrow Sea, yet he prevents the Queen from being poisoned. Did he have a sudden change of heart and decided to change loyalties?

Also, how are the savage people from north of the Wall able to get through the wall and into the Kingdom? For example the gang who tried to kidnap the boy.

At one point it is mentioned that Ser Jorah is a spy for the King in the land across the Narrow Sea, yet he prevents the Queen from being poisoned. Did he have a sudden change of heart and decided to change loyalties?
You'll learn a bit more about his reasons later.

Also, how are the savage people from north of the Wall able to get through the wall and into the Kingdom? For example the gang who tried to kidnap the boy.
Some go around the wall on small boats across the Bay of Seals (east coast). On the west side there's also a gorge (called the Gorge) that is dangerous to cross, but lets them bypass the Wall. Others climb over the damn thing with icepicks and such (remember that the author has a terrible sense of scale while trying to swallow that one). The Wall is so undermaned that the ones that survive the climb seldom get caught by patrols once they're up there.

Wildings make it across the Wall in small numbers quite a bit to raid the villages near the Wall.

I see, thanks. :)

Also, this cracked me up.

EDIT: I thought of another thing. In the last few episodes it is mentioned that the late king Robert's two brothers are also raising armies to fight against the Lannisters, but they are never seen on screen. Was this cut due to time or money constraints, or is this also not "shown" in the novel?

I see, thanks. :)

Also, this cracked me up.

EDIT: I thought of another thing. In the last few episodes it is mentioned that the late king Robert's two brothers are also raising armies to fight against the Lannisters, but they are never seen on screen. Was this cut due to time or money constraints, or is this also not "shown" in the novel?
That video is great. I'm pretty sure it was posted in this thread back when that episode had aired.

IIRC you don't actually see Stannis or Renly raising armies in the first novel, just hear rumors of it (Renlys drops out of the picture after he skips town from Kings Landing after Robert's death, and Stannis isn't introduced as a character until the beginning of Book 2).

Exactly the same in the books. Renly skips town after Ned refuses his offer and he isn't seen till the next book. Stannis didn't make an appearance in the first book at all either. The show has been very faithful so far but with a few details cut and a few extra scenes added.

I love Stannis and Davos though. Can't wait to see them on screen. I hope they're done right.

Ah, kk.

I got another question (sorry, I'm mad with names is that doesn't well in hand with this show I'm afraid):
The commander at the wall who gave Jon his sword mentions he has an exiled son, and I read on another forum that the son is Ser Jorah, the bodyguard (or something like that) of Daenerys. Is this true? God damn, this show has such complex family trees, seems like everyone is related or married to everyone.

Yeah Jorah is commander Mormont's son. He took the black so Jorah could be lord of Bear island, but he got exiled so now Jorah's sister is the lord/lady of Bear Island.

Arya Stark is my favourite character by far. She manages to contain both male and female characteristics without falling into a "boyish girl" cliché. That's a very difficult balance act, for both from the actress and the writers, and all of them performed admirably. The child actors in this show in general are astonishing, let's only hope they can grow with their characters in good ways as the show progresses.

I'll stop spamming this thread now, I'm just so thrilled about this masterpiece.

I fully expect all of you should be watching this show legitimately, or you can't really consider yourself a proper fan at all... buy the DVDs or whatever if you don't have HBO (there is also an online HBO streaming service you can pay for separately). I'm terribly afraid that this show is going to go the route of Rome, which was canceled after season 2 despite fantastic ratings and critical reception purely because it was so expensive to produce and wasn't turning enough of a profit.

On that note does anyone know when the season 1 dvd is supposed to come out?

I fully expect all of you should be watching this show legitimately, or you can't really consider yourself a proper fan at all... buy the DVDs or whatever if you don't have HBO (there is also an online HBO streaming service you can pay for separately). I'm terribly afraid that this show is going to go the route of Rome, which was canceled after season 2 despite fantastic ratings and critical reception purely because it was so expensive to produce and wasn't turning enough of a profit.

I imagine we'll see the disks for Christmas. Number one on my list, and since I definitely want the bluray version it will probably cost enough to make it the only gift I get. Still number one on my list in spite of that though, loved the show and can't wait to rewatch it.

OTOH haven't HBO said since that they made a mistake in cancelling Rome?

Recording everything on Sky Atlantic, so HBO are getting the licencing cash off me.

You can bet your ass that I'm getting this show on Blu-ray, I can't ****ing wait it's going to look so god damned sexy god damn god damn my thighs quiver with anticipation for it.

OTOH haven't HBO said since that they made a mistake in cancelling Rome?

i also think they recently said they will never cancel (as such) a show themselves, only if it falls through at other ends will it not air. i've a lot of hope for the continuation of this and so far season two looks like it's going swimmingly well.

I just watched the whole series these past three days, and Jesus H Christ, what a show. Every single character is intriguing.

Same here. I literally couldn't stop watching. So much awesome. Tyrion is by far my favorite character. That Emmy is very much deserved.

I'm happy to give HBO my money when it comes to purchasing the series when it's released via DVD, however I'm less interested in adding to the coffers of Rupert Murdoch (of phone hacking and fox news fame) by getting a sky subscription to watch it 'legitimately' here in the UK tbh.

Not really on topic, but is there a site with a good summary of all the events that happened to individual characters? I'm about 600 pages into the new book, and I'm realizing I've forgotten a lot of stuff thats being referenced in regards to certain characters.

Also...
seriously, 600 pages before I finally get an Arya chapter? Come on.

It's because at the end of AFfc Arya was a year ahead of some other characters.

Back