Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows

Saw this yesterday... and I'm kinda lukewarm on it. Pretty much nothing happened, and I'm still confused as to where that damn sword came from (did it just happen to be in lake by their camp or did Ron find it somewhere (where?) and put it there as cruel joke? I don't remember this from the book). There were a couple stand-out scenes, though - the infiltration of the ministry of magic and the narration of the deathly hallows story... and I don't think it's a coincidence that both of these were scenes lacking the three main actors.

Clearly I was referring to the movie's budget and simultaneously attacking your opinion. Of course.

I knew that was what you were up to! A movie shouldn't ever be stupid, a good movie should appeal to cretins and people with half a brain at the same time. Both audiences should walk away having gained something different.

There were a couple stand-out scenes, though - the infiltration of the ministry of magic and the narration of the deathly hallows story... and I don't think it's a coincidence that both of these were scenes lacking the three main actors.

The three main characters are certainly an issue, maybe they could be stuffed and then controlled by a puppeteer and voiced by reputable voice actors.

I thought the best scene was the Ministry thing, when actual actors played the original trio better than they played themselves.

still kindof enjoyed the movie though

I knew that was what you were up to! A movie shouldn't ever be stupid, a good movie should appeal to cretins and people with half a brain at the same time. Both audiences should walk away having gained something different.

Yeah, and I never really said anything to contradict that. I merely said that the movies don't have a lot to work with IE: when you're doing an adaptation you have to pay attention to what you're adapting so if it's not very good maybe that sucks for the movie? Also, time restrictions.

yeah I didn't enjoy this new movie as much as the last few ones. It just felt weird and awkward.

7/10 for me the book was much much better

Samon is just posting his review and views here and you had to come along (he has been here longer) and be a total dipshit about it.

I beg your pardon?

Clearly you've misread their posts. Hool was not the 'dipshit'.

I beg your pardon?

Clearly you've misread their posts. Hool was not the 'dipshit'.

That's because that is Samons alt account. His only friend is his real account and the only people who visited his profile are mods. Go figure.

That's because that is Samons alt account. His only friend is his real account and the only people who visited his profile are mods. Go figure.

I figure none of that.

everyone is a dipshit, and i enjoyed this film. got a bit boring at times.

How did you figure that out? I think you must be right, I mean that can be the only explanation, there couldn't be two people in the world that think you're wrong and dumb. No sir, but that must mean that I am another one of Samon's alt accounts!

The streets of The Lounge will never be safe until Banimal either physically remanifests (In which case I must consume his flesh and blood to be whole once more), or I successfully endure the Seven Trails of Zerimski (Again) and go through another metamorphic/coccoon-like state... again.

In all srsnss though, I've only seen the first few Harry Potter movies and read the first two books. Is the big ominous "PART ONE" they keep slapping over the whole thing just a cash grab, like I'm suspecting? Or is the book twice as long as the others?

Is the big ominous "PART ONE" they keep slapping over the whole thing just a cash grab, like I'm suspecting? Or is the book twice as long as the others?

The book is 606 pages long, so it's a good 160 pages shorter than the longest in the series, The Order of the Phoenix. I suppose it's arguable about whether or not the content could have been shortened to a single film. But I think they met a cross road, one path leading to making a buttload of money, & another making twice as much. It's logical which path they chose.

Elements of the sixth book were left out and may be covered by the 'part one'. I forget. Even with a character death in the middle, the seventh book didn't really clearly delineate itself into two halves that made an extra part obviously necessary.

I think it was necessary because they didn't hack up the film like the others. They stopped at more than half way through the book. The final part should just be about destroying the other Horcruxes and the final battle. The final chapters are some of the best of the series and the epilogue I feel might have more in it than the book. It's the last time JK Rowling gets to redeem herself after a half-assed way off finishing the book and just simply stating "all was well". *Plus they have the whole Gringotts scene. Gonna be epic.

The final chapters are some of the best of the series and the epilogue I feel might have more in it than the book. It's the last time JK Rowling gets to redeem herself after a half-assed way off finishing the book and just simply stating "all was well". *Plus they have the whole Gringotts scene. Gonna be epic.

I actually thought the last half of the final book, even ignoring the attempted abortion that was the epilogue, was by far the worst writing of the entire series. Rather than resolving characters, she'd just kill them off, often in one sentence, without any thought given to them later. For instance.

One of the Weasley twins dies, and the other is subsequently never mentioned again.

@Hool

You actually think the epilogue should be fleshed out more? Don't you realize its problem is that it exists at all?

One of the Weasley twins dies, and the other is subsequently never mentioned again.

...But he is, when Harry returns to the great hall before the big showdown the Weasley's are gathered around Fred's body with George cradling his face in his hands. Also, she has resolved alot of characters, not through writing but in interviews & such. George ends up continuing the joke shop, marrying Angelina Johnson & having a son subsequently called George Weasley II & a daughter named Roxanne

I actually thought the last half of the final book, even ignoring the attempted abortion that was the epilogue, was by far the worst writing of the entire series. Rather than resolving characters, she'd just kill them off, often in one sentence, without any thought given to them later. For instance.

I think that the reason why she didn't resolve certain characters was that it was to show that death isn't fair as it's sudden. The epilogue in a way is a closure to it all. Sure you can imagine things but I think it would still leave you hanging a bit. JUL3 is right and about her multiple interview shedding more light on what happens to characters. This is why I hope that she puts it into the film. Think she stated recently on Oprah that in the future another book related to HP might come out. If anything I hope it is related to the previous owners of the Elder Wand and possibly more light on Grindlewald.

That's probably the only example, really.

Actually saw it and, even with the skepticism I came in with because of how difficult it is to translate these books and how they're not too good to begin with, I was shocked by how bad it was. The directing was just... goddamn. The number of times the camera is just left on someone's face as they're supposed to be ("supposed to be" being the key phrase) reacting to some line or brooding for several seconds and then it just completely cuts to another scene is ****ing astounding. All the complaints I've heard are spot on. The scenes are disconnected, no suspense is built to the climax (and I use that word lightly). Every scene broken down: Incredibly huge character and relationship developments covered in about a line or two of dialogue, emotional outburst/completely pointless action sequence that typically comes out of no where/really shitty attempt at building suspense, then close up on some characters face (if possible, put them in front of some visually stunning backdrop, cut to next scene. Acting is complete and total garbage. All pretense of the way magic works in the books and previous movies has been dropped (honestly, am I the only one complaining about DEATH EATERS BEING INCREDIBLY FAST FLYING PLUMES OF BLACK SMOKE?).

All in all, I had a blast watching it, but I think the conditions for such a reaction to this movie are as follows:
a) Watch it in theaters
b) Watch it with friends
c) Watch it for the first time

Actually saw it and, even with the skepticism I came in with because of how difficult it is to translate these books and how they're not too good to begin with, I was shocked by how bad it was. The directing was just... goddamn. The number of times the camera is just left on someone's face as they're supposed to be ("supposed to be" being the key phrase) reacting to some line or brooding for several seconds and then it just completely cuts to another scene is ****ing astounding. All the complaints I've heard are spot on. The scenes are disconnected, no suspense is built to the climax (and I use that word lightly). Every scene broken down: Incredibly huge character and relationship developments covered in about a line or two of dialogue, emotional outburst/completely pointless action sequence that typically comes out of no where/really shitty attempt at building suspense, then close up on some characters face (if possible, put them in front of some visually stunning backdrop, cut to next scene. Acting is complete and total garbage. All pretense of the way magic works in the books and previous movies has been dropped (honestly, am I the only one complaining about DEATH EATERS BEING INCREDIBLY FAST FLYING PLUMES OF BLACK SMOKE?).

All in all, I had a blast watching it, but I think the conditions for such a reaction to this movie are as follows:
a) Watch it in theaters
b) Watch it with friends
c) Watch it for the first time

Broken down, everything in that post was either unimportant or not really very bad, which is odd, seeing as there's plenty bad to complain about. Honestly, it appears to me that the biggest valid problem you have is minor complaints of the acting and made up premise rules. Which is funny because that is absolutely the stupidest thing to let bother you in any piece of storytelling in any medium ever.

Broken down, everything in that post was either unimportant or not really very bad, which is odd, seeing as there's plenty bad to complain about. Honestly, it appears to me that the biggest valid problem you have is minor complaints of the acting and made up premise rules. Which is funny because that is absolutely the stupidest thing to let bother you in any piece of storytelling in any medium ever.

lol @ this in context of the walking dead thread

All pretense of the way magic works in the books and previous movies has been dropped (honestly, am I the only one complaining about DEATH EATERS BEING INCREDIBLY FAST FLYING PLUMES OF BLACK SMOKE?).

No, you're not, but the magic in these movies is much like the Force in the SW saga. As time goes on, it simply gets more gratuitous, more random and more a vehicle for derivative action. There's nothing interesting about them casting spells; they might as well simply have guns, because that's obviously the effect the film-makers were going for.

...abortion that was the epilogue

HEY SHADDUP JAMES ALBUS SEVERUS DUMBELDORE DOBBY POTTER.

...But he is, when Harry returns to the great hall before the big showdown the Weasley's are gathered around Fred's body with George cradling his face in his hands.

Not enough.

Also, she has resolved alot of characters, not through writing but in interviews & such. George ends up continuing the joke shop, marrying Angelina Johnson & having a son subsequently called George Weasley II & a daughter named Roxanne

That's retarded. I'm not reading / listening to interviews just to find information that should have been included in the book in the first place.

I think that the reason why she didn't resolve certain characters was that it was to show that death isn't fair as it's sudden.

But there's no reason for that, because it's something that has been shown ALL ALONG with deaths like Cedric and Sirius. It's not like "Sorry Harry but people die" is exactly a new theme at that point.

That's probably the only example, really.

It's been a while since I've read it, but I was sure that there were more. I think Lupin and Tonks had a similar kind of treatment.

No, you're not, but the magic in these movies is much like the Force in the SW saga. As time goes on, it simply gets more gratuitous, more random and more a vehicle for derivative action. There's nothing interesting about them casting spells; they might as well simply have guns, because that's obviously the effect the film-makers were going for.

I've actually watched the first five films over the last few days (WHY?) and it's pretty goddamn hilarious how rarely the characters (especially the protagonists) actually use magic.

In addition, I've found that Magic in this series seems to be used as a justification to create Deus Ex Machinas. For instance, the entire fight in the Chamber of Secrets when the Phoenix shows up with the Sorting Hat and the Sword of Griffyindor is just goddamn ridiculous, not to mention the fact that the flying car runs away by itself and returns just in time out of nowhere to save them from the spiders. There were quite a few lol moments.

In general I've found that the movies do a decent job of staying true to the books, with some exceptions. It's more about having to omit things for length than about misrepresenting anything. My biggest complaints on that front were in The Goblet of Fire, where we never find out that the Marauder's Map was made by Lupin/James/Sirius/Peter, and we never find out about how they learned to transform into animals for Lupin. I thought that was a pretty significant part of the book.

It was also a shame how Umbridge in the movie wasn't nearly as menacing as in the book.

The other thing that I noticed is this. In the books, the concept of Ron and Hermione getting together comes out of nowhere. There's no reason at all for them to be attracted to each other, and the relationship is so forced. I was wondering if this was something they improved upon in the movies, so I kept a special eye out for it, and not only do they do just as poor a job with it, but the movies actually make it seem more like Harry and Hermione have chemistry together, especially in The Goblet of Fire and The Order of the Phoenix.

And those defending the epilogue: While I agree with Rowlings decision to say "They all grow up, **** off wondering about what happens next", it was so rushed, poorly conceived, and even more poorly executed, that I felt any opportunity it had was wasted. I really hope they don't even bother to put it into the movie.

Yeah, the epilogue was shit.

Also in agreement about the Hermione/Ron chemistry.

Though I can't deny Harry and Ginny's chemistry.

It's been a while since I've read it, but I was sure that there were more. I think Lupin and Tonks had a similar kind of treatment.

No, they didn't.

You might recall Lupin appearing to Harry after his death when he used the Resurrection Stone.

I don't think there's any real defense for Rowling's sloppy narrative structure.

Trailer for Part II:

The anticipation begins.

I hated the latter half of the book, mainly because

It felt like Rowling was going on a killing spree.

I hated the latter half of the book, mainly because

It felt like Rowling was going on a killing spree.

I didn't mind it, how dull would it have been if
no one died but Voldemort and his death eaters.

EDIT: Reposting the trailer so it's at the top.

Ah, such a rubbish trailer. I don't like that you've got Harry and Voldemort throwing magic beams at each other outside Hogwarts. That showdown should take place in the Great Hall and as a war of words. I don't want to see some exaggerated face-off between the two.

And yet again the people behind this film don't seem to understand that you can create a bleak and hopeless atmosphere without it being absent of colour and life. It doesn't need to look like it's set in a ****ing wasteland.

I didn't mind it, how dull would it have been if
no one died but Voldemort and his death eaters.

That's not the point he is making. To say that the killing-spree was laughable is not to say that 'good guys' shouldn't have died. On the contrary. But it should not have been so sloppy, so gratuitously handled as to have the pretense of loss and the drama that goes with it.

yeah rawlings really just threw darts at a wall to see who should have been killed, it had absolutely no significance and was a fairly terrible way to end her story

i hope the film fixes that

Back