I got a question...

It's in their genes. Passed on from mother to daughter.

Women can be funny.

A lot of times it's because they're trying to be funny but they're really not, which is in itself funny.

really is this such a mystery? how many women like the Three Stooges? how many women like Benny Hill? or Monty Python? not many (those that do are actually gay men) ..it's because at birth they have their sense of humour surgically removed to make more room for ovaries

There are a few. Jo Brand is good. Miranda Richardson was awesome as Queenie. Dawn French can be good.

I've known some pretty funny women. So I'm not understanding what you are asking.

Most of us don't know any women. At least I don't. Except for my sister and mom ofc.

What makes you ask?
Just something I've been think about. Women always expect guys to be funny, but never manage to be so themselves. It's something cultural, I guess. Women just have to be attractive to get laid, guys have to be funny (and attractive, preferably).

Yeah, I wonder about that myself.
I always see threads like this where guys question why women are bitchy and why women aren't funny, when it seems their experiences with women are not that great.

Overgeneralizations can lead to ignorance.

It's not cultural, it's genetic.

Men decide women on physical attributes looking for good breeding stock.

Women look for men who can provide, protect and will continue the gene line. Humour is an indicator of this.

I'll ignore your point and instead will throw in another spurious generalisation

Correction

Women look for men who can provide, protect and will continue the gene line. Humour is an indicator of this.

If I wanted poorly-worded pseudoscience I would hang out with sociology majors. There's no need for a recourse to selection theory here, on account of the main point being a load of rubbish.

I have pondered the same question. Also women seem to hate being alone. I love having a day to myself every one in a while.

I know a few who are, but they are definitely rare. Then again, it's rare I find many guys funny either. Most who claim to be simply recycle jokes from those who actually are. To conclude: 99% of people are pretty shit.

Already been there on the 1st page Harryz
There are a few. Jo Brand is good. Miranda Richardson was awesome as Queenie. Dawn French can be good.
I'll give you Jo Brand, she's good but not the others. Dawn French & Lenny Henry = the least funny couple in history.

I listen to new stand-up comedy every week, a good few hours every day. I can't get enough of it, and I won't lie...most of it is men. I do listen to comediennes too but it's extremely tiresome how many revert their material to the following categories:

1. Men
2. Marriage
3. Sex

I don't see why so many comediennes stereotype themselves into these categories and we end up with countless dick jokes & embarrassing date scenarios. I don't believe women are unable to be funny, I refuse to believe that. I just believe that they are stuck in this 'middle of the road' general bullshit material and don't perhaps have the confidence to go into other more adventurous material. Lets not just be observational comediennes all day eh?

If I wanted poorly-worded pseudoscience I would hang out with sociology majors. There's no need for a recourse to selection theory here, on account of the main point being a load of rubbish.
I have never studied the topic so I can only speculate, but to me it does make alot of sense perhaps you can show me where I'm wrong.

Men are attracted to women by physical characteristics. We are attracted by physical indicators of youth and health and are driven to impregnate as many of these as possible to ensure we have maximum healthy children.

Women however are not equipped with the tools for survival, they are not made to hunt and kill and protect. That is the role men evolved to play.

Unlike men however, women can only produce one set of offspring. Women have to be alot stricter in who they mate with, because, until reletively recently, having sex entailed a high probability of death for women. The mortality rates giving birth were very high.

Women therefore are made to seek out a man who can provide for and protect them, this is the biggest factor. That's why it doesn't really matter what shape a guys face is or what colour hair etc. to a girl. If he is socially popular, perhaps an alpha-male he will be better able to provide for her. Humour is a social skill, and for men social skills are essential if they are going to find a mate. For a women its not important in that regard.

I think it's overly simplistic to try and explain people in purely evolutionary terms. Especially when you start throwing out words like hunt and kill.

Their brains are a third the size of ours.

^ This. Also according to the bible women were created from the rib of man, this makes them second class. Sorry that's just the order of things.

I increasingly find evolutionary concepts very applicable to social analysis.

But surely it is beyond question that women are not funny? Even Joe Brands crap imo.
I have never laughed at a female comedian, whenever they have one on mock the week I literally cringe when they try and make jokes, they are never funny. They usually just sit there and smile.

Female comedians are never ****ing funny. And most girls in general have a lame and shit sense of humor.

But I watched G4 the other day (yesterday maybe?) and there was an Olivia Munn special. There was a PSA type thing she did where she apologized for being so vulgar on TV, but then she got really ridiculous and I laughed harder than I have in a long time. I may start watching G4 now.

EDIT: YES I FOUND IT ON THE INTERNETS

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/never-know-what-munn-will-say/2376426741

That was pretty funny, but G4 still kind of annoys me cause they have all these hot chicks on there who constantly talk about sex and cock..etc. Its G4s version of the booth babe, really.

Having spent a short while thinking about this, I think it can be explained without resorting too much to selection theory or Hitchens' blatantly sexist rantings (take, for example, the implication that any woman who has the ability to be funny is a 'bulldyke').

The lack of many truly hilarious female comics is possibly a symptom of how the agenda-setters in almost any area of discourse, apart from sex and race, tend to be white males. We look to white males to tell us what's going on in the world, what books to read, films to watch, and it so happens that we look to white males to make amusing obsevations about life - not because of any conscious effort of discrimination, but because it just so happens that it's mostly white males who possess authority of opinion.

When a woman or a black person makes their voice heard, the general expectation is that they'll say something about what it's like to be a woman or a black person. Of course they don't have to do that, but it seems to be the best way to get the rest of society to listen. And while there is comedy mileage in these areas, it is limited. White guys can only laugh so much at how boorish or square they are, before they turn back to listen to other white men and laugh with them about everything else in life.

Hitchens seems to imply that the characteristics which make comedians and comediennes funny are somehow innately male characteristics. I think rather that they're characteristics of a group which has always had the freedom to laugh about life's miscellany, as opposed to groups who have historically had to fixate on one or two issues in order even to be valued on a level pegging. In a way this is selection theory, but it's not womens' breeding instinct that's doing the pruning - it's white male dominated society keepin a nigga down.

Why is 'black literature' so often about the experience of being black? Because that's what black people find easiest to produce, and have consumed by a society like ours, with the power dynamic being such as it is.

Just an idea I thrashed out...

This is why.

NSFW - sulk
but educational!

Fexter.jpg

"The freedom to laugh"? I don't know about that, I think one of the things Hitchens gets right is that humour has always been a coping tool for the underpowered, or a subversive tool for the oppressed, or a way to laugh in the face of death. That's gallows humour, and that's why jokes by Palestinians about Mossad exist. It's true what you say about 'black literature' and the like.

Not that humans aren't boiled over thousands of years and not that this doesn't affect their outlook, but I find the evolutionary stuff in this case rather dubious. It is, however, conceivable that women are less likely to need to be funny and so less likely to try and develop the skill.

Hitchens comes off as fairly unpleasant and creepy in his article.

Very odd. It's true that I can think of quite a lot more funny guys I know than I can girls.

@TOASTER I hope this doesn't spoil my track record on sexism. PS U R FUNNY

Unintentionally, women are hilarious all the time. There are obnoxious annoying girls: "OMG LOOK AT ME I'M NOT AFRAID IF PEOPLE HEAR WHAT I SAY AND I'M SPUNKY AND OPINIONATED TOO". And then there are completely quiet and shy girls. I have never seen a girl that isn't far to one side or the other.

Edit: Well, I've met one.

Not just 'the freedom to laugh', but the freedom to laugh even about stuff that doesn't matter. Gallows humour about Mossad might find a lot of fans among shellshocked Palestinians, but I question how much of a shelf life it would have on Saturday Night Live.

I agree that the evolutionary angle is dubious, which is why I think it's more of a psychological issue. In a sense, Hitchens is right in that funniness is looked for in males and not in females, but I'd say that it's males who are making this choice. What males want from women is looks. That doesn't create sexier women by Darwinian selection, but it tends to teach women that it's not a great idea to be self-effacing, or abandon your feminine charm to become a 'bulldyke'.

I dunno, man, that joke about the CIA agent, the KGB agent and the Mossad agent is pretty good.

Back