ID Cards

You don't like our government, fair enough.
However, I don't agree with:
Nat Turner said:
just like every other injustice your government and society perpetuates...
Name some others please.

Sulkdodds said:
lol :rolling:

Correctshens :|

:D

ComradeBadger said:
You don't like our government, fair enough.
However, I don't agree with:

Name some others please.

Just from what I can think of right now:

Drug prohibition
Restriction of possession and sale of firearms
Big lack of property rights
No true freedom of speech (IIRC)
Crappy self defense laws (IIRC)

Drug prohibition? Heh - our government is much more lenient when it comes to things such as weed. You're more likely to get told to just clean up over here.
Firearms - don't be ****ing silly, that's a sensible restriction.

I'd like you to provide examples of the last two as well, since I disagree.

ComradeBadger said:
Drug prohibition? Heh - our government is much more lenient when it comes to things such as weed. You're more likely to get told to just clean up over here.
Firearms - don't be ****ing silly, that's a sensible restriction.

I'd like you to provide examples of the last two as well, since I disagree.

Oh well, if you're against freedom, then I can't really argue with you. Many people find freedom offensive even if they can't support their reasons.

No, I'm not against freedom.

Be careful about bandying terms like freedom and liberty around, they're very nebulous words.

free·dom Audio pronunciation of "freedom" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (frdm)
n.

1. The condition of being free of restraints.
2. Liberty of the person from slavery, detention, or oppression.
1. Political independence.
2. Exemption from the arbitrary exercise of authority in the performance of a specific action; civil liberty: freedom of assembly.
4. Exemption from an unpleasant or onerous condition: freedom from want.
5. The capacity to exercise choice; free will: We have the freedom to do as we please all afternoon.
6. Ease or facility of movement: loose sports clothing, giving the wearer freedom.
7. Frankness or boldness; lack of modesty or reserve: the new freedom in movies and novels.
1. The right to unrestricted use; full access: was given the freedom of their research facilities.
2. The right of enjoying all of the privileges of membership or citizenship: the freedom of the city.
9. A right or the power to engage in certain actions without control or interference: “the seductive freedoms and excesses of the picaresque form”

Are you taking the definition of freedom as that? Or what?

Mark of the Beast is soon to follow. :O

Havn't any of you guys figured it out yet?

Look at the facts:
  • They are expensive £30.
  • They have chip in them.
  • They store bio data about that person.
So in theory:

FACT: The cards are tracking devices, every human in the UK tagged and traced on satellites. No escape or privacy. End of.

ComradeBadger:

The things I listed definitely fall under freedom. Freedom is not a subjective word.

Freedom to own a gun?
Well if your supporters of freedom why can't Iran have a nuke?

And why can't I have my own nuke?

-remembering of course that freedom isn't subjective.

I disagree with freedoms when they begin to infringe on the freedoms of others.

And with the gun control thing, we've had this discussion hundreds of times, I think the only conclusion we reached was that we can agree to disagree.

kirovman said:
And why can't I have my own nuke?

-remembering of course that freedom isn't subjective.

I disagree with freedoms when they begin to infringe on the freedoms of others.

And with the gun control thing, we've had this discussion hundreds of times, I think the only conclusion we reached was that we can agree to disagree.

A) You couldn't afford it

B) Some government would pwn you. Might makes right in this world.

Nat Turner said:
Did I say they can't?

Should they have the freedom to say, launch a nuclear attack on US soil?

Where do you draw the line when it comes to freedom?

Unless you're an anarchist, of course.

B) Some government would pwn you. Might makes right in this world.

Ignoring the cost issue: So, some government would deliberately infringe on my rights? That's not fair?

Nat Turner said:
Did I say they can't?
Then you sir are an idiot.

No-one wants them to have Nukes. Hell I don't want anyone to have one, but I guess there free to do so.

In my opinion you should be allowed something if you can make it yourself, but it is your responsibility.

If you can enrich uranium and make your own nuke then that's fine.

Why should anyone be aloud a nuke?
Its impossible to use it without violating the rights of others to life.

short recoil said:
In my opinion you should be allowed something if you can make it yourself, but it is your responsibility.

If you can enrich uranium and make your own nuke then that's fine.

/me votes Short Recoil for president

I think I'm at an advantage.

Owning nukes should be legal. There is no true logical reason to be against it, except the belief that might is right.

Technically i'm not sure how a identity card will stop someone going to a busy place and killing innocent people.

the cheese said:
Technically i'm not sure how a identity card will stop someone going to a busy place and killing innocent people.

Exactly. The government argued that it would, for a while, then went 'duuuh...?' and realised how dumb their argument was, especially considering what happened in Madrid, so they changed what they were saying. Quite a few times.

Now they're trying to play up another big Fear Of The Day, which is identity fraud. OH NOEZ MY IDNTERTIZ HAEV BEEN STOELD!

Kind of surprised how many people are still claiming that ID cards are going to be the next step on the slipperly slope of totalitarian damnation. They're ultimately little more than internal passports linked to the national database.

Overpriced, ineffective, and badly planned. That's what I'm most concerned by- especially if they try and make them compulsory.

Back