IMPORTANT: Very real possibility mynecraft.com host is a scam artist

As far as I can see, it all looks fine in MCEdit, but it's completely unplayable for me as I approach my home (sort of near the corruptiony goodness) =\

Unless there's another way to fix it, we'll probably have to revert to Hokey map or start fresh.

I have no idea how MCEdit works, but what about 'migrating' the stuff people want to keep to the new world? Would that be easy/possible?

dun dun dunn

"to whom it may concern: I bender, bid you hello! You don't know me, though you may have heard of me, but that's not the point. long story short... I need helf"

omg it all makes sense noww

you ****in futurama fags

You're just now noticing that? lol.

That's like the very last thing I worked on before Hokey took the server down.

I want to keep our current map, mostly because my project isn't finished. Seriously, if you guys are still bitching about it being cluttered... GET OUT OF SPAWN. There is so much space out there for you guys to **** around in, not to mention going down--most of you people only build on the surface. Use all available dimensions, fer crying out loud.

Besides, minecarts work now, so, provided some people are willing to build, we could have a pretty nifty transportation system back to spawn.

Yeah Viper, I know what you're saying. you're one of those people I referenced when talking about the people who have spent an absolutely astronomical amount of time on. For you, it was spread across like yourself and two or three other people. Which is just an insane amount of man hours.

I'm curious about the possibility of transplanting chunks. I might do research on it.

It might be something worth doing. Not everybody is going to want to transplant their stuff. I don't want to. I still intend to make a shrine to Ennui, tacoeaterguy and dinnesch though for all the help they gave me carving out my mountain.

I have no idea how MCEdit works, but what about 'migrating' the stuff people want to keep to the new world? Would that be easy/possible?
Actually, I am in love with this idea! I'm 100% if this can be done.

I've never used MCEdit before today, but after some playing I'm pretty sure it can be done. Export to a schematic and import it back in wherever you want. Seems to retain the orientation though, and can't change it, so could be fun finding an appropriate place to stick it in a fresh map.

Just about to load the map up and see if it's kept everything intact.

And all looks good

SCIENCE!

I expect my new computer to be complete sometime around the end of the month, beginning of next month. I have the money for it, but not all at once. If you guys figure out how to configure the map, i'm really up for hosting again.

I've used that function a lot to make weird "fake" corrupted chunk scenery, its really easy to use. Works best on structures built on water or with a very level base, otherwise you might end up with a very steep edge on whatever you are importing.

The neat thing is that anyone can make a .schematic file of what they want to keep from the old map and upload it somewhere, saves whoever ends up stitching the new map together about half the work.

One line.

PROVISIONAL CR - VCC DISPUTE / HIDDEN MAGIC CONSULTING Transfer 39.99

I still need to send in the emails and stuff, but it looks like i'll be getting the second unduly charged month back.

Yeah, I was going to suggest using MCEdit to either remove the corrupted chunks, or to copy people's stuff to a new world. I'd go with the latter, personally - that way, we can have a nice, neat spawn point, and everyone's creations can be placed further afield.

I don't like the MCEdit idea, think about when your cave goes to below someone's(copied) place and you instantly see a wall of another ground type? Or even worse, falling into the void!
But I haven't done any big projects myself, so probably shouldn't speak for the people who have :p

I'd really like to start all over, just seeing what it will bring this time!

I think it's better to have the choice, although there are technical issues, especially with buildings that are integrated into the world. Personally, I wouldn't be bringing anything of mine over, as it's far too tied into the local environment, and copying entire chunks over just wouldn't fit neatly.

One more thing - Multiplay are now offering Minecraft server hosting - I've been using them to host my L4D/L4D2 server for the past 18 months, and they offer US-based servers too. Could be worth bearing in mind.

Triple post bonus!

I rented one of the Multiplay servers for testing purposes. It's been running all day, it has the hey0 admin stuff on, a plugin to fix the block-mining lag, and a whole bunch of others that can be installed easily from a control panel. The only thing it doesn't have is Cartograph. It's a UK-based server, but give me some names to add to the whitelist, and you can check it out for yourselves.

Triple post bonus!

I rented one of the Multiplay servers for testing purposes. It's been running all day, it has the hey0 admin stuff on, a plugin to fix the block-mining lag, and a whole bunch of others that can be installed easily from a control panel. The only thing it doesn't have is Cartograph. It's a UK-based server, but give me some names to add to the whitelist, and you can check it out for yourselves.

What kind of prices for a 20 player server?

Do you have access to all the underlying files and everything so we COULD get the map file regularly so one if us can do the minecraft overviewer/cartographer stuff ourselves?

That's one of the most major key things we need... access to that shit reliably from a consistent control panel.

There's no root access to the server, but there is file download access from the control panel - server logs and world backups. Plus they have very good support (with a proper ticketing system) access to their admins via IRC and even phone, and they're also willing to do stuff outside the normal purview. My only concern would be that, in previous experience, some Valve updates would break the game for a couple of days.

20 players is £16 per month - $25 or so.

Well, waiting a short time for Hokey to be able to run the server again is also an option.

There's no root access to the server, but there is file download access from the control panel - server logs and world backups. Plus they have very good support (with a proper ticketing system) access to their admins via IRC and even phone, and they're also willing to do stuff outside the normal purview. My only concern would be that, in previous experience, some Valve updates would break the game for a couple of days.

20 players is £16 per month - $25 or so.

Well, waiting a short time for Hokey to be able to run the server again is also an option.

$25 is not bad at all.

Does Hokey really want the responsibility of running it again, even if it's on his secondary computer and he has his new one? Or was he just wanting to do it to give us a known stable platform to work from?

What say you Hokey?

Hey, instead of copy/pasting everything into new spots in the world, just take the old spawn area where everyone was crowded and paste it into a blank part of the map? Then just make a warp point to old spawn, that way everything above and below the ground is preserved, but doesn't detract from the new part of the map. That way we can get rid of the old non-biome wilderness and just have "islands" of the old server floating way out in space?

I suppose that's possible, but it's a *big* chunk of map, and very detailed.

Triple post bonus!

comradesean, please and thanks.

I'm fine with the idea of hosting. My only problem with it (during the last hosting session) was that I could not play games while hosting. That's where this new rig comes in. I needed to upgrade for games that required a powerful system anyways. So it's like killing two birds with one stone. It'll be the same hardware as last time. Athlon 64 x2, 3GB DDR2 memory. It'll probably require a manual reboot every now and then, but I never had a problem with that.

I don't suppose i'll need the graphics card just to run the server? I'll probably be taking that out of this one and sticking it in the new comp, just until I decide on a better one.

That's some impressive area you have cordoned off Pi.

Heh, that is somewhat scary.

I'll play a bit if you're still testing.

Name: Hokey

Added. The server is up for a month anyway, so might as well take a look.

Toss me up on there please, Pi.

Raziaar

I want to see what a european server is like lag wise.

Plus how good the host is.

Added you, Raziaar.

Riomhaire: still no nether in SMP

Add BadHat and EvilNic, if you wouldn't mind? Ta.

Also Robbo35 .
How's the mining on this server? It would lag like hell on the old one, sometimes took me like 3 go's to get a block. If that is fixed go with it!!! :)

All added.

The BlockIt plugin is installed, which mostly fixes it. It's not perfect, but it's a distinct improvement.

Would you mind adding Morgs?

many thanks.

Hope you guys aren't going to get too attached to the stuff you build in that server right now. Pi says it's for testing and there's a very real possibility that if we went with something like that we'd start anew, or at least it was something we were discussing.

But we'll see what we end up doing. What do you think Pi? How has the server been handling so far? If it's really that cheap, then that's great.

Back