It's finally snowing here

Lame webcam image.
picture53fe.jpg

Well all of a sudden winter's decided to hit again. We just had 2 rounds with totals around 3-6. Now they're predicting 18-24 for tomorrow :eek:

The snow has remained here for well over a month without melting away, that's gotta be a record of sorts.

We had a very small amount of snow yesterday but it had gone by the morning, thank God. I'm totally sick of snow and cold weather now. Roll on May!

We haven't had any snow for nearly a month. And we've had a couple of 12/13 degree days in January.

Devon wins.

It's about halfway through now I suppose, despite how awesome it looks the camera isn't fancy enough to capture the sky or anything that far out.

pics

could barely see the flakes but when the camera went off, it was like giant white spots in your face!

31560776.jpg

from under a tree

38833894.jpg

my hair, **** hats!

99626403.jpg

the hollowness!

44520345.jpg

from the porch

41737347.jpg

one more from the porch

85472993.jpg

we're getting some unusual snow from the East and its relatively cold but we've only gotten 70 or so inches of snow this season which isn't bad at all. i remember us getting 300 inches easy some winters at this point

Wow, to think we were supposed to get SOME show, but we've gotten shit thus far.
I payed good money for these tires, damnit, I wanna use em!

Hm, it's raining here. A lot. Rain is pretty much the Californian equivalent of snow.

Couple of shots. Washington, DC metro area; Reston, Virginia.

Christmas storm:

This storm:

So much snow this morning, **** snow. **** it to hell.

I hate shoveling so goddamn much.

I spent about 40 min with the snowblower.

Not as bad as shoveling, but still not very fun.

Got over a foot here. I live in an apartment so I don't have to shovel.

Trying to decide whether I want to sleep more or go out and buy groceries...

[edit] Finally decided to go out. Then waded through snow for a few blocks, randomly encountered a friend who had tried (unsuccessfully) to dig out his car. Walked around some more and decided "screw this I'm eating canned vegetables tonight." I find this whole thing pretty hilarious though, since I used to live in Texas where this never happens.

I slept 16.5 hours, and looks like the snow is finished. Hard to tell in the dark, but it looks like 20". I'll take some pictures when the sun comes up.

this is like the first time in 2 weeks where i didn't have to go out and warm up the door because my locks used to freeze up. i really hate when it warms up to like 50 degrees then it rains and then it gets cold because it cakes everything on my car frozen shut

These snow levels are insane. Ive never seen so much fall in ANY country. Well, in pictures anyway. I know it snows more in the Alps etc etc.

And I cant help but laugh at the UK. Snow falls and the country grinds to a halt, but then again so has Washington and the surrounding..err..states? Dont know America much...or at all...

My memories of snow each xmas for the past decade or so have been just a few cm, its practically all gone or turned to brown slush after a day or two once its settled. Thats provided it doesnt rain before and after, if thats the case, the snow lasts hours.

Id love to get snowed in for once, Im always in some other country where its hot when snow falls badly in the UK. Like right now.
In a few weeks it will be pushing 40-50c where Im working overseas, its currently around the 30c mark. This xmas I heard about -10 degrees at my house, and I was sat in a hammock in yet another part of the world overlooking a lake drinking buck's-fizz at 25-30c opening presents.

On saying that, I appreciate how the snow can be infuriating for people with dropping off their kids and going to work etc, and it being hard to drive to stores let alone seeing them emptying out as people stockpile their houses and the stores cant replenish their shelves quick enough due to traffic etc.

Just havent really experience it an age where I can appreciate the reasons for complaining and worrying. Only seemed to have seen snow when I was a kid/teenager, where I was more interested in having snowball fights than actually understanding the chaos the snow creates.

Yeah. I'm glad I went in middle of the blizzard for a walk, nothing quite like it, I probably would've gone much farther if I had snow boots and gloves and a hoodie. I remember only vaguely the blizzard of 96', we had the power go out, had the fireplace going, reading comics with flashlights and drinking hot chocolate the whole thing. No power outtage this time around though since it's a different time and setting I'm kinda glad for that. Shoveling is enough of a bitch, especially since the perimeter of the house is larger (one big advantage of the old town house, very little shoveling).

I remember a storm knocking out the power in my town about 10 or 11 years ago, and we got the fireplace going, and sat as a family sharing comical stories and telling ghost stories (there were about 10 of us as some came round to our house), boiling water with camping bottles, getting sausages going and that with the camping gas bottles.

Its moments like that which are just awesome. Its amazing how life can be SO different when the power cuts off. Youve got the lightning creating shadows everywhere, the sound of the rain against the windows and conservatory. God, I love it.

These snow levels are insane. Ive never seen so much fall in ANY country. Well, in pictures anyway. I know it snows more in the Alps etc etc.

And I cant help but laugh at the UK. Snow falls and the country grinds to a halt, but then again so has Washington and the surrounding..err..states? Dont know America much...or at all...

Things grind to a halt when it snows because we rarely get any. It's not worth pouring untold sums of money into the infrastructure for something that happens a couple of days a year. Coldest winter for 100 years and we've had, what, two weeks of disruption?

It was t-shirt weather down here yesterday. It genuinely felt like mid-late spring, especially in Teignmouth by the coast. Our climate really doesn't compare in terms of cold to North America or northern Europe...

That being said, it's beyond idiotic that they seem to run out of grit every year. Maybe they should spend more money on that instead of giving morons jobs as Diversity Officers and 5-a-day Consultants...

Id love to get snowed in for once, Im always in some other country where its hot when snow falls badly in the UK. Like right now.
In a few weeks it will be pushing 40-50c where Im working overseas, its currently around the 30c mark. This xmas I heard about -10 degrees at my house, and I was sat in a hammock in yet another part of the world overlooking a lake drinking buck's-fizz at 25-30c opening presents.

Lucky bast. I hate cold weather. I'm going to Sydney over Christmas, that's going to be interesting coming back from Australian midsummer to the UK on the 11th of January. :D

This was the biggest snow I've seen in a while. Gotta love the southern storms that pound the mid-atlantic. I'm really, REALLY hoping for UMD campus closing tomorrow.

Things grind to a halt when it snows because we rarely get any. It's not worth pouring untold sums of money into the infrastructure for something that happens a couple of days a year. Coldest winter for 100 years and we've had, what, two weeks of disruption?

It was t-shirt weather down here yesterday. It genuinely felt like mid-late spring, especially in Teignmouth by the coast. Our climate really doesn't compare in terms of cold to North America or northern Europe...

That being said, it's beyond idiotic that they seem to run out of grit every year. Maybe they should spend more money on that instead of giving morons jobs as Diversity Officers and 5-a-day Consultants...

Lucky bast. I hate cold weather. I'm going to Sydney over Christmas, that's going to be interesting coming back from Australian midsummer to the UK on the 11th of January. :D

True that we dont get hit enough to warrant higher grit levels, but its still a bit of a joke. Youve got people sleeping in their cars on the side of the road, thats pretty messed up. And because people are idiots, guarantee those that did didnt have enough warm clothing in their cars. If it was me, I would drive around with a shovel, a change of clothes, bottles of water and a duvet in the back of my car the whole time. Rather be safe than shivering all night with the engine inevitably off.

I live just outside of Exeter, so youre right about the coast. Though Devon is arguably the warmest place in the UK, well, maybe Cornwall is warmer.

Sydney over xmas? Yeah, pushing mid 30s that time of year.

Oh, and if youve never been to Sydney or Australia before, prepare to fall in love.

True that we dont get hit enough to warrant higher grit levels, but its still a bit of a joke. Youve got people sleeping in their cars on the side of the road, thats pretty messed up. And because people are idiots, guarantee those that did didnt have enough warm clothing in their cars. If it was me, I would drive around with a shovel, a change of clothes, bottles of water and a duvet in the back of my car the whole time. Rather be safe than shivering all night with the engine inevitably off.

Well they should be a lot better with the gritting, but when you're talking the levels of snow that most of the UK has been hit with this winter, it's snowploughs and/or winter tyres/snowchains you need, not grit. None of these are practical considerations however, considering our winter is just a colder extension of autumn most of the time.

You can see this in many aspects - for example, most houses (especially down here I've found!) are shittily insulated and are utterly freezing in the winter. People go outside in fairly similar clothing to what they wear in the summer. We just put up with winter because it's not cold enough to be seriously dangerous - whereas in Canada they're probably a lot more comfortable despite it being massively colder. I'm sure you wouldn't even dream of being cold inside over there, as all the buildings are insulated to a ridiculously high standard and then people wear layers upon layers to go outside. If they didn't prepare for winter in that fashion they couldn't survive over there. We don't bother because we can make do.

A lot of it is people just having no idea how to drive in winter conditions aswell. I rode up to London on the 23rd December with no problems, just after the massive snow and yet people were complaining they couldn't get anywhere by car. BS. I had to get off and push the last few roads because the housing estate was completely iced over and ungritted but the other 200 miles were no issue. If I can do it by motorbike then they can do it by car.

I live just outside of Exeter, so youre right about the coast. Though Devon is arguably the warmest place in the UK, well, maybe Cornwall is warmer.

Yeah, the further west you go the warmer it gets. Still, the average daytime temperature in winter is well above freezing across the southern UK/midlands.

Sydney over xmas? Yeah, pushing mid 30s that time of year.

Oh, and if youve never been to Sydney or Australia before, prepare to fall in love.

I haven't been. I have family over there, very much looking forward to going. I anticipate that, whilst I will love it, I would probably prefer to live here ultimately. Australia is really flat and you don't get the kind of localised variety in places that you do here...it's all big cities surrounded by endless wilderness. A couple hours ago I was zooming through the lifeless trees and hedgerows in barren, desolate middle-of-nowhere North Devon and now I'm sitting in my end-of-terrace in the city.

I've found that people who grew up here never appreciate it, but Devon really is an amazing place. The deserted parts north of Tiverton are really special in winter aswell, very bleak.

I kinda laugh at people who go to Devon for a holiday from, say, London. And all they complain about is how many lack of shops and services there are. And the distance away from London.

My bro-in-law has a bike, a Yamaha FZR 1000cc from the 90s. Kinda old-skool, but damn that thing hauls.

Rode around with him (on the back) through some random country roads up to Honiton then down toward Sidford and then Sidmouth. There's some roads that cut alongside the side of the hills, the whole ocean view, woodland etc. Bloody stunning.

His favourite time to ride is just after its finished raining. He loves to get the tail going round corners. Dangerous of course, but sounds like fun.

Went for a ride into Exeter one day as we were bored. On the A30 as you come out of Exeter eastward, we hit the traffic lights under the M5 overpass near B&Q. Sat there for the duration, not a single car infront of us coming off the M5.

Drove off after the lights went green, few seconds later he taps my leg, I grip firmer around his waste, he dropped a gear and floored it. I almost got thrown off the back. We hit about 150 before we slowed for the cars ahead of us near the airport. Ive been in cars at about that speed on a track before, but its a ***king different experience on a bike. I had my head sideways leaning on his back, watching the world go by in a blur and realising how easy it would be for my to fly off. Then he braked fairly hard and I slide forward practically pushing him into the handlebars and gauges out of surprise.

I can see the appeal of it all though, especially on the country roads.

Off topic but anyway.

Holy good god. Glad we didn't get that much D: *We didn't get anything*

I kinda laugh at people who go to Devon for a holiday from, say, London. And all they complain about is how many lack of shops and services there are. And the distance away from London.

The joke is, living in Exeter is far more convinient for stuff than living in a London suburb. You have everything in one place a short walk away (well, if you live fairly centrally), whereas in London town centres have some things and not others, and often you have to travel a fair distance to get to what you're after (and travelling in London is a pain in the arse).

The borough of Harrow, where I'm from, is the largest borough of London and the population is three times that of Exeter. Yet it has one nightclub, which is even worse than Rococos. Sure, you can have great nights out in London but who wants all the hassle of getting there, the fortune it costs when you're out, and then a 40 quid cab fare to get home again?

I can have a great night out on 20 quid and then walk home. Perfect. Oh, and then on Sunday morning I can go for a walk on Dartmoor. People travel from all over the world to do that.

I find London to be a highly dreary, depressing, dirty place full of miserable, unhappy people. I have absolutely no idea why people love it so much.

My bro-in-law has a bike, a Yamaha FZR 1000cc from the 90s. Kinda old-skool, but damn that thing hauls.

What's his name? I might know him.

Rode around with him (on the back) through some random country roads up to Honiton then down toward Sidford and then Sidmouth. There's some roads that cut alongside the side of the hills, the whole ocean view, woodland etc. Bloody stunning.

It's bikers heaven around here, it really is. Another compelling reason why I would never contemplate moving back to the south-east, where there isn't any interesting countryside, everywhere is flat, only a handful of roads are any fun and then they're full of traffic and speed cameras.

One of my favourite routes is across Dartmoor via the Cowick Street - Moretonhampsted road, then into Plymouth you can get the ferry to Torpoint and the Torpoint - Liskeard road is known as the "Torpoint twisties". :D
Then through Tavistock and you can pick up the other route across the moor that goes to Widecombe.

Also, up the Exe Valley road (A396 from Exeter, through Tiverton up to Dulverton), then up Porlock Hill and across Exmoor through Lynmouth etc, and you can then pick up the A377 from Barnstaple all the way back. That's cracking. Also good just going for a drive, I did that route in my friend's car and it was great. He's lived in Exeter his whole life and that was the first time he'd ever been to Exmoor. :|

His favourite time to ride is just after its finished raining. He loves to get the tail going round corners. Dangerous of course, but sounds like fun.

Went for a ride into Exeter one day as we were bored. On the A30 as you come out of Exeter eastward, we hit the traffic lights under the M5 overpass near B&Q. Sat there for the duration, not a single car infront of us coming off the M5.

Drove off after the lights went green, few seconds later he taps my leg, I grip firmer around his waste, he dropped a gear and floored it. I almost got thrown off the back. We hit about 150 before we slowed for the cars ahead of us near the airport. Ive been in cars at about that speed on a track before, but its a ***king different experience on a bike. I had my head sideways leaning on his back, watching the world go by in a blur and realising how easy it would be for my to fly off. Then he braked fairly hard and I slide forward practically pushing him into the handlebars and gauges out of surprise.

I can see the appeal of it all though, especially on the country roads.

Off topic but anyway.

Yeah, it can be a lot of fun when you narrowly avoided death. :)

My crazy days are over though, 2 and a half years since I broke my leg and it still gives me grief. I train jiu jitsu and play a lot of badminton nowadays, and it's really holding me back. Just not worth it. There are methods to be very quick and yet safe - slightly more boring, requires a lot of training and practice, but I haven't come off a bike in nearly two years so it's worth the investment. These days if anything I find the biggest pleasure in riding comes from the total focus on what's happening rather than any sort of adrenaline rush. It completely clears the mind.

It's a great hobby, if you don't mind spending a fortune on it. :)

My school finally canceled Monday classes, only because the city's public safety officials "strongly encouraged" them to do so. Just a few hours before that, they had sent out an email titled "Returning to Normalcy" that essentially said "Everything's fine, come to class tomorrow suckers!"

I actually would've gone in to lab to work, but it seems we're not supposed to do that either. I bet people will still go though...

Might spend some of my free time tomorrow digging out the door to my apartment building with a hand trowel since my apartment management never bothered to come properly shovel us out.

My school wasn't saying SHIT all day. Roads are treacherous, dad was going to drop me off at school but he concluded it's too slippery; just trying to get out of the driveway. 1/2 hr later the ****ing website updates to say that on Monday the campus is closed. ****ing took long enough, pricks.

Well that means someone actually went in and updated the site through the server? So Im not surprised it was late.

Schools and Unis are usually slow on updating closed days, especially ON the day.

Ive been to a dozen or so lectures that have been cancelled minutes before simply because of the lecturer having problems getting into Uni etc. He would call an hour ahead of time, but the Uni wouldnt leave a sheet on the door or anything. We'd all be sat in the room chatting etc, and some random woman would come waddling along, lean in and say that the lecture was cancelled. Thats a real ***ch of a thing to be told when its a 9:15am lecture and youre still hungover! As all students are or should be at that time of morning.

What's his name? I might know him.

It's bikers heaven around here, it really is. Another compelling reason why I would never contemplate moving back to the south-east, where there isn't any interesting countryside, everywhere is flat, only a handful of roads are any fun and then they're full of traffic and speed cameras.

My crazy days are over though...

It's a great hobby, if you don't mind spending a fortune on it. :)

Wont release his full name on such a trustworthy forum as this one, heh, his name is Brad and he's from South Africa. His VZR is blue. His defining feature would be his biker jacket though. He has so many plaque-like badges from biker rallys (rallies?) and group roadtrips from SA sewn onto his back and arms, I leaned back one ride just reading them all. Its insane.

Theres a rally that happens in Devon now and again which he almost always goes to. Mainly he has his bike because he works away from home near London, so he comes home and finds as many excuses to get on his bike as possible. Everytime he comes to our house on the weekend, he comes on his bike. Its only a 10 minute drive, but its enough for him. And on sundays he just goes for a random ride somewhere for a few hours.

And theres one thing I noticed about him when he rides around, when Im on the back of course;

He nods (or gives a quick wave of acknowledgement if he can or its safe to do so) at EVERY other person on a bike, wether theyre coming the other way or he's passing them. It feels..almost like some kind of honourable tradition or something. I know that sounds stupid, but its such a great thing to see and be part of when I'm along for the ride compared to the dull stares you get in a car. I dont know if all bikers do it, like some kind of unwritten rule or comradry code between them, just find it really nice having an instant link with someone when you cant even see their face haha.

26" here. Shoveling sucked.

It was 10 degrees F. last night. This could take a very long time to melt in some places.

My school wasn't saying SHIT all day. Roads are treacherous, dad was going to drop me off at school but he concluded it's too slippery; just trying to get out of the driveway. 1/2 hr later the ****ing website updates to say that on Monday the campus is closed. ****ing took long enough, pricks.

Reminds me of a time in middle school when my mom took my sister and me to school during Tornado Warning day. There were very few teachers there and maybe 25-50 of the students showed up. By the time they officially canceled, the sky was a lurid greenish-black color and the streets were flooding.

They ended up putting everyone in a classroom where we watched movies :D.

[edit] Whoa classes canceled Tuesday as well. This is gonna sound crazy but I'm going in to work anyways. I need to take data :eek:. More snow projected for Tuesday night + Wednesday. I bet they cancel classes the rest of the week, then take away spring break.

No school Tuesday! 18-20" more expected later and they might just cancel the week. I got to campus anyways, 30 mins+ to the 45 min regular driving. I actually lost control on this one spot where there was still snow and ice on top of it, stopped a millimeter away from the car in the next lane. Also stopped by my old neighborhood on the way, there were mountains everywhere.

snowza.jpg

Wont release his full name on such a trustworthy forum as this one, heh, his name is Brad and he's from South Africa. His VZR is blue. His defining feature would be his biker jacket though. He has so many plaque-like badges from biker rallys (rallies?) and group roadtrips from SA sewn onto his back and arms, I leaned back one ride just reading them all. Its insane.

I don't know him, but some of my friends at my bikers group may. South African Brad rings a bell, and there can't be too many South African bikers in Devon.

Theres a rally that happens in Devon now and again which he almost always goes to.

Paignton bike night?

I don't enjoy those sorts of things really. A bunch of midlife crisis sufferers standing around their shiny bikes which have been out of the garage three times a year talking a load of nonsense (to generalise).

I bought my bike in March - a 55 plate with 10,000 miles on it and six previous owners. It now has 23,000 on it. I tried to sell it a few months back when I got made redundant but noone would buy it at a price I would consider halfway acceptable as it's "high mileage". Some people have far too much money to throw away...fortunately I got a much better job three weeks later so all is well with the world.

Mainly he has his bike because he works away from home near London, so he comes home and finds as many excuses to get on his bike as possible. Everytime he comes to our house on the weekend, he comes on his bike. Its only a 10 minute drive, but its enough for him. And on sundays he just goes for a random ride somewhere for a few hours.

I do the same but it can be a bit dull alone. The other usual alternative of hooning around in packs of 10 doesn't really appeal either though. I can give you my number if you want to get him to give me a call. Always good to know people with bikes.

And theres one thing I noticed about him when he rides around, when Im on the back of course;

He nods (or gives a quick wave of acknowledgement if he can or its safe to do so) at EVERY other person on a bike, wether theyre coming the other way or he's passing them. It feels..almost like some kind of honourable tradition or something. I know that sounds stupid, but its such a great thing to see and be part of when I'm along for the ride compared to the dull stares you get in a car. I dont know if all bikers do it, like some kind of unwritten rule or comradry code between them, just find it really nice having an instant link with someone when you cant even see their face haha.

Yeah, pretty much everyone does it. You're generally considered a rude twat if you don't. :)

Except in London, as you'd be nodding every other second. And Londoners are generally rude twats anyway. :)

It's not quite like it used to be in that community sense, as these days for most it's more of an occassional pastime for the wealthy rather than a way of life (especially down here where using a bike for transport makes little sense as there is little to no benefit in journey times).

It does mean you have friends wherever you go though. When we toured Scotland and Cumbria we couldn't stop anywhere without being engaged in conversation, and we made good friends in a couple of total strangers who offered to put us up for the night and did a barbecue for us. Partly that's because Scottish people and northerners are a lot friendlier than southerners, but a lot of it comes down to the bikes too. It's probably the last global brotherhood, much as I find that concept a little cloying.

Ive never understood the concept of using a bike every day for commuting etc.

The idea of wearing a helmet, even if its tailored to fit snuggly but properly, youd come in looking like youve just spent a night on the streets when you take your helmet off and your hair's all over the place. Plus you'd have to get changed at work, talk about hassle.

He doesnt mind riding alone, but he has more fun riding with 1 other person. My cousin's husband bought a GSXR 750 and they rode around together, often just playing around while overtaking etc. Not like a bunch of teenagers or anything, I mean theyre both in their mid 30s.

From what Ive heard, it certainly is easy to strike up a conversation with someone random if they have a bike as well, which is almost unheard of these days.

Its something Ive always wanted to get into, I love the freedom and speeds, but at the same time knowing a single stone can be either the death of you or come seriously close to it is seriously off-putting. Almost all of my family members who have died in a crash have been on bikes, so I would probably get disowned if I bought one.

Dont think it was the Paignton bike night, as it happens during the day. Maybe Im completely oblivious as to the times because Ive never been to it so you could be right.

Riding around in groups, I agree, does scream mid-life-crisis, but at the same time its surely alot more sociable than being a lone rider. It depends on the person I guess. I think its not really that much different from people who own Ferraris or MGs getting together on weekends. Its just driving in a group, showing everyone you belong to a certain motoring culture. In SA its different to here though. They would drive cross-country, from city to city over a weekend, then ride all the way back. We're talking kidney pads, the works, for hours of riding. Theyd park up outside stadiums with kiosks and gazeebos and tents etc. Its like riding to a Glastonbury for bikes. So you get to meet different people every time, then you form biker groups/gangs/clans of mates. Theres no fights or anything that pathetic, just biker crests etc.
Not as severe as the US though, Hells Angels etc.

Good to hear every biker nods at each other, even if bike riding is more of a hobby or pastime these days. Im surprised about London though, I mean, do scooters count or something? Im talking about proper road bikes, not those 50cc chave-tastic-mobiles.

No school Tuesday! 18-20" more expected later and they might just cancel the week. I got to campus anyways, 30 mins+ to the 45 min regular driving. I actually lost control on this one spot where there was still snow and ice on top of it, stopped a millimeter away from the car in the next lane. Also stopped by my old neighborhood on the way, there were mountains everywhere.

snowza.jpg

My car is still buried in 26" of snow, and yeah - winter storm warning - it's supposed to start snowing again Tuesday (this morning) and finish Wednesday. I thought I heard 6-12".

It's colder than **** too.

I bought groceries the day before it snowed, or I'd be shit outta luck. Everyone in the world was there. I got the last two loaves of bread, hidden in the shadows - way in the back in the lowest shelf. I had to crawl in the ****ing bitch.

Back