Left 4 Dead 2 Announced, Coming this November

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
<div align="center"></div>
[br]
Microsoft just announced in their E3 Press Conference, Left 4 Dead 2. Coming November 17th on PC and XBox 360[br]

L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-operative action games and become one of 2009's marquee titles. [br]The game will introduce AI Director 2.0 taking L4D's dynamic gameplay to the next level by giving the Director the ability to procedurally change weather effects, world objects, and pathways in addition to tailoring the enemy population, effects, and sounds to match the players' performance.

With the knowledge gained from creating the original, new technology, and a passionate team, L4D2 will set a new benchmark for cooperative action games.

The game will feature new Survivors, boss zombies, weapons, and melee combat with items such as a chainsaw, frying pan, axe, baseball bat, and more. Left 4 Dead 2 offers a much larger game than the original with more co-operative campaigns, more Versus campaigns, and maps for Survival mode available at launch.[br]

Left 4 Dead 2 is targeted for release on Xbox 360 and the PC on November 17, 2009. Press-release after the break.

June 1, 2009 - Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced Left 4 Dead 2 (L4D2), the sequel to the best-selling and critically-acclaimed co-operative multiplayer thriller.[br]

Coming exclusively to Xbox 360 and PC, L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-operative action games and become one of 2009's marquee titles.[br]

"A large part of how Left 4 Dead became 2008's top-selling new IP on Xbox 360 and the PC was the custom-tailored gameplay made possible by the AI Director," said Gabe Newell, president and co-founder of Valve. "With the knowledge gained from creating the original, new technology, and a passionate team, L4D2 will set a new benchmark for cooperative action games."[br]

Set for release on November 17, the title adds melee combat to enable deeper co-operative gameplay, with items such as a chainsaw, frying pan, axe, baseball bat, and more.[br]

Introducing the AI Director 2.0, L4D's dynamic gameplay is taken to the next level by giving the Director the ability to procedurally change weather effects, world objects, and pathways in addition to tailoring the enemy population, effects, and sounds to match the players' performance. The result is a unique game session custom fitted to provide a satisfying and uniquely challenging experience each time the game is played.[br]

Featuring new Survivors, boss zombies, weapons, and items, Left 4 Dead 2 offers a much larger game than the original with more co-operative campaigns, more Versus campaigns, and maps for Survival mode available at launch.[br]

Supported by a $10+ million marketing campaign, Left 4 Dead has sold over 2.5 million retail copies since it was released in November of 2008. Left 4 Dead 2 is targeted for release on Xbox 360 and the PC on November 17, 2009, and will be launched worldwide with a multi-million dollar marketing campaign across TV, Outdoor, and Online.[br]

"Left 4 Dead was backed by our most aggressive advertising campaign to date, and resulted in a top 5 showing on two platforms during holiday 2008," said Doug Lombardi, VP of marketing at Valve. "Left 4 Dead 2 is a larger game and will be supported with even more consumer and retail advertising programs than the original." [br]

Left 4 Dead 2 will be featured as the cover story on PC Gamer and Official Xbox Magazines this month. For more information, please visit www.l4d.com

Huh.

Links to conference, or anything similar?

WOW! That's quick considering that Left 4 Dead only came out the end last of year and now they're getting ready to release another. Does this mean they're done with Left 4 Dead?

I wonder why they're releasing a SECOND game when the first one is so damn new. I'm totally confused by this move.

Supposedly it's PC and Xbox 360. And it'll be coming out at the end of the year. That's quick ...

EDIT nm reading the rockpapershotgun preview.

And so the milking begins.
ughh.gif

''While other Specials aren’t yet shown, we have seen some changes to the familiar. Rather cutely, some of the Common Infected have been changed while in hazmat suits. This means laying down walls of Molotov cocktail fire won’t keep everyone away any more, as the fire-proof baddies can run right through. The pay-off for this is exploding their heads and seeing the goo splat against the inside of the perspex visor.''

Very ****ing cool.

My distaste at horribly gung-ho picture with a chainsaw aside, the new cast sounds alright, actually. I'm pretty hyped. Really don't want a chainsaw, though.

Whilst I am sure the refreshing change, subsequent improvements, and renewed interest warrant its being, it sure looks like they're taking it in a fairly untasteful direction. Chainsaws? No.

Wandering Witch, too. I remember reading someone suggesting that in the L4D subforum. Oh, and no, I'm not saying Valve are watching over the forum for ideas. It's a cool concept, good to see it being included.

Oh god, please tell me that isn't real.

It's real.

This is awesome. Totally the right move. It's clear that L4D is beyond fixing in some areas and a completely new game is the best way to go. I wonder if there'll be a discount for people who own the first game?

1 year? No wonder it took them so long to get an SDK out.

I feel EA'd.

I for one am not excited. I'd rather them work on new campaigns and stuff rather than a new game.

I'd rather them bring this stuff to Left 4 Dead. Even if its as paid DLC, all of the changes/updates in this version could be incorporated into L4D. I dunno. I have faith in Valve so heres to hoping!

And so the milking begins.
ughh.gif

I have to agree. Why not just build on top of the current game and give us an expansion pack instead? The damn thing just came out and they haven't even released a measly map for it. They haven't even released a proper SDK for it. I don't like this new Valve

I hope the new characters are as good as Bill, Francis, Zoe and Louis.

Chainsaw for the meh.

Chances for the Episode Three news are now pretty low, right? :(

"While there’s obviously going to be something of a fuss made over people’s expectations that L4D would be constantly expanded for free, following the TF2 model, it’s important to stress that while this is obviously still the same L4D core experience, it’s certainly not a bunch of new maps thrown into the old game. It’s a coherent new imagining of the game, this time bigger, smarter, and far more elaborate. Oh, and gloriously more gory."

Be that as it may, I still feel like it's too soon for a sequel. And what about a "classic" zombie game mode instead of these 28 days later super charged zombies.

My first reaction when I saw the headline: "umm what?"

This is so not like Valve.

People have become spoiled by the amount of free content from Valve.

If they're not bringing out games fast enough, people complain. If they bring the sequel out a year later, people complain. If they give free content with a new system how to get that content (recent TF2 update), people complain.

First the TF 2 changes, now this. Valve is the new EA.
Expect an item store ala Sims 3. Valve's reign is coming to an end. Yes, i cried doom.
Just wait and see.

Totally agree insano, it's just so strange for valve to bring out a whole new game when L4D is perfectly fine.

It was a very short announcement during the microsoft conference, it will be interesting to see what valve have to show at their demo tommorow.

L4D is good trashy fun, which is fine, i see no reason why they shouldnt release more of it, other companies get away with it all the time.

I do hope we hear about some of their other work though. :D

First the TF 2 changes, now this. Valve is the new EA.
Expect an item store ala Sims 3. Valve's reign is coming to an end. Yes, i cried doom.
Just wait and see.
This is exactly the ungrateful behaviour I'm referring to. They give you free content and you're saying they're the new EA? Hell, I'm betting that if Valve pumped out a free campaign for L4D, you'd be complaining that it doesn't live up to the crazy hype you have in your head.

This is exactly the ungrateful behaviour I'm referring to. They give you free content and you're saying they're the new EA? Hell, I'm betting that if Valve pumped out a free campaign for L4D, you'd be complaining that it doesn't live up to the crazy hype you have in your head.

Releasing an expansion pack for a reasonable price is one thing but releasing an entire new game following a game that just came out is nothing more than EA like money grubbing.
I Am not ungrateful, i am opinionated and not a fanboy like you.

Anyway, here is the trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XpzeK_YpGI

So that's why all the L4D updates have been pathetic. No new campaigns and crappy survival mode, Valve have just ditched it and moved straight onto L4D2. When the game was being sold Valve claimed they would support it with new content like they've done before.
I'll be waiting to see how Valve support L4D2 before making the same mistake again.
This i really wasn't expecting, i'd prefer a CSS:2 at least that's been out long enough to have a new version.

Releasing an expansion pack for a reasonable price is one thing but releasing an entire new game for game that just came out is nothing more than EA like money grubbing.
I Am not ungrateful, i am opinionated and not a fanboy like you.
Thus supporting a decision they make equals being a fanboy?

Reading the RPS preview, it's obvious to me that all the additions they're planning to add exceed an expansion.

Trailer was awesome. I'm eager to find out who the voice actors are - the coach character (I'm presuming) sounded a little like Cutty from The Wire. :D

Thus supporting a decision they make equals being a fanboy?

Reading the RPS preview, it's obvious to me that all the additions they're planning to add exceed an expansion.

Additions that can't be added to the current game? Give me a break.

Back