Lost: Season 5

brad92

Spy
Reaction score
So who else here is looking forward to Lost's fifth and penultimate season? Season 4 ended on a very high note and I can saftely say I'm looking forward to Season 5 immensely. I thought I'd start a topic listing all the information currently avaliable on Lost's 5th season. Spoilers follow, so beware. :)

Plot

• The season will primairily focus on why the Oceanic Six need to return to the Island and how they will ultimately do this.
  • Instead of using the traditional flashback/forward plot device that we have become used to, Season 5 will adopt a new method of telling the story. Stories of the the fifth season will play out both on and off the Island in different points in time. With this new storytelling structure, the backstories of Ben, Rousseau, Richard, Daniel and Miles will be further revealed, but not through flashbacks.
  • According to Carlton Cuse, the "mysterious things that happen … to Claire in the final episodes of the fourth season set up the next few ... years" of her storyline.
  • Areas intended to be explored and explained include why Libby was in the mental institution with Hurley, why Ms. Hawking was in a photograph with Brother Campbell, what happened between Ben and Henry Gale, the survivor of a hot air balloon crash and how Ben was caught in Rousseau's trap in the second season, and the four-toed statue seen by Sayid, Jin and Sun.
  • The season premiere will be titled 'Because You Left'.

Cast

• Michael Dawson, last seen on the freighter as the bomb explodes, has been killed off and will not be returning.
  • Jin will return in the fifth season as a main character, suggesting that his character did not perish on the freighter.
  • Locke will return in Season 5 but in what form is yet to be seen and whether he will be a main character has not been revealed yet.
  • Claire, mother of Aaron, will not return as a main character in Season 5, but will be a main character in Season 6.
  • The apparently ageless Richard Alpert will return in the season premiere.
  • Hurley's father, David Reyes, will return in the second episode of the season.
  • Dr. Pierre Chang, Dharma Initiative scientist and instructor, will return.
  • Grant Bowler will reprise his role as dead freighter captain Gault.
  • It is likely that Penny Wildmore will return to reprise her character.
  • Desmond will remain a main character in the fifth season.
  • According to Entertainment Weekly's Michael Ausiello, guest stars Alan Dale and John Terry will continue to respectively guest star as billionaire Charles Widmore and deceased Christian Shephard, but may be promoted to the main cast for the sixth season.
  • Michelle Rodriguez will return in the second episode as the deceased Ana Lucia Cortez.
  • The writers are also scheduling an appearance by dead sixteen-year islander Danielle Rousseau.
  • Vincent the dog will also return and will be around well up to the series conclusion in Season 6.
  • Ausiello has reported on the casting of new characters, but Lost's producers have been known to disguise their new characters during casting with fakes names and occupations. Two characters tentatively referred to as "Caesar" and "Ilanna" or "Ilana" will be introduced in the premiere as guest stars, but may be upgraded to the main cast in their second season. Caesar is in his late thirties or early forties, is "dangerous, physical and extremely intelligent" with a "dark past" and is "as skillful at charming people as he is at killing them." Ilana, who is in her late twenties or early thirties, has a "pivotal role" and is smart, dangerous, alluring and "used to getting her own way" will be played by Zuleikha Robinson, and Caesar will be played by Sa?d Taghmaoui. Two other recurring characters introduced in the premiere are the attractive Asian "Martha" and the antagonistic, expensive and sometimes friendly attorney "Dan", who has a "real menace lurking below the surface."

There we go for the time being. All of this information comes from wikipedia with accompanying sources as evidence.

You should have spoiler tagged alot of that, but yes, I am extremely looking forward to season 5.

*not looking*
*not looking*
*not looking*

So yeah ignored due to spoilers, but yes - very much so. It's a while away though, Jan 09 ;(

I'd also like to theorise on how, number one, the oceanic six return to the Island, and secondly, how Ben and Jack will convince the others (especially Kate and Sun) to return with them.

I have a feeling Ben's ideas stem from events that have occured on the Island in the past 3 years and he might use that as a means of convicing them to return with them. Sun will definetly return once she's found out Jin is still alive and well. I'd say Kate's choice to return hinges on something to do with Sawyer. It may be hard to convince Desmond considering he's likely still with Penny - possibly even married at this point.

Can't wait for more Lost. Any idea how long this season is going to be, now that the writers strike rubbish is out the way?

Gah, so much new TV to watch. Need to get pumped for this.

Can't wait for more Lost. Any idea how long this season is going to be, now that the writers strike rubbish is out the way?

17 episodes for both this season and the final Season 6. There was supposed to be sixteen epsiodes in Season 4, I think. Only 14 came out of it. So an episode was added for Season 5 and 6 (which were originally supposed to have 16 episodes each).

I'm not terribly excited, but I'll probably watch it none the less.

Someone's a bit harsh. Decided to put this up on Steam as well.

Nah it's all good mate, jus got a bit tired of being led around after the second season :p

Season 3 was dragged out, yeah. Still thoroughly enjoyed it though. Season 4 wasn't so much.

This is that show where they don't ever give any answers at all to anything right?

Not exactly. :)

Only 2 seasons left. We'll get em.

Anyway...it'd be damn stupid to get all the answers. Nothing to continue propelling the viewer forward. Very much like Half-Life. It's the secret to their success, I think.

The 4th season was a super mindf*ck but kept me watching anyways, I love this show.

Can't wait, I hope I'll be all situated at my new house before it begins.

Can't wait. Season 4 was exceptional.

Yes, though I'm not sure whether Season 2 was better, but still, there are still a lot of things to be explored

Totally forgot about the Hot Air Baloon

I also thought they were exploring the four-toed statue in Season 4, but they failed to show backstory to that. Should be interested, could be Atlantis, though I'm not sure if thats a good thing or badthing

My ratings:

Season 4
Season 1
Season 2
Season 3

Season 3 was more vauge in terms of the narrative than Seasons 1/2. A few too many questions. But the last few episodes or so were brilliant. From about 'The Brig' onwards.

Season 3 was actually very good. I found it a lot more enjoyable than Season 2.

Which one had them just discovering the hatch?
That was my favorite one, so intense and mystifying.

Season 3 was actually very good. I found it a lot more enjoyable than Season 2.

Oh I thought so to. I've enjoyed every single season of Lost so far. I just think that...initally everything was a little to vauge. Loved Desmond's plots though.

I find it hard to sort of rate each season. They're all brilliant in their own right.

Anyway, Season 4's finale is very interesting in the aspect of how the survivor's need to return and in what manner they'll return. Locke's death is nothing short of mysterious. I really doubt he's 'dead' to use the term literally. I somehow think his connection to the Island caused his 'death'. Perhaps being so far away from it when he returned to society to try and convince the Oceanic Six to return did something to him. He did not perish from any illness or from old age. His death was ruled a suicide. However, that makes little sense if you go by things that have happened in the past. In 'Through the Looking Glass' he tried to kill himself with a revolver but the image of Walt stopped him - the Island stopped him. So I doubt he could have managed to have committed suicide.

Alias started off alright but quickly turned into a gigantic love/bawww/girlproblems show.

It actually gave the most.

Yeah.

It really expanded upon the entire concept of electromagnetism (wrought by the Hatch Discharge), which I think is something that is related to many of the Island's unusual features.

We found out how Locke got paralysed. We leant a lot about the Other's backstories, the fall of the Dharma Initative etc.

And what the hell is up with Alpert? The bloke's ageless.

Sounds really good.
But you did not answer my second question?

Sixteen-year as in that's how long she was on the island.

It's on the 5th already? I stopped watching when they started doing the flash forwards in season 2... I think it was season 2.

Flashforwards only came in at the end of Season 3 wudnit?

Hmm, I know that I stopped when they were captured by the others. Maybe I watched one when my parents had it on.

Looking forward to it. I won't join you in the "which season was better" discussion though, as they all kind of blend together for me and I don't remember exactly what happened when. I probably need to read a synopsis before January.

I really just want to discuss the end of Season 4 and what will happen in Season 5.

This is that show where they don't ever give any answers at all to anything right?

that's what I thought too.

I actually never watched an episode of lost in my life until this summer, when my g/f and I were bored at her house and I figured I'd watch an episode or two since she had season 1 on dvd. I went in believing I was going to hate everything about the show...and by the end of the summer I had seen every single episode. oops.

There's still stuff I really hate about it...like how they basically alternate between interesting and uninteresting episodes. I mean does anybody really give a **** who took that damn baby? But they tag like 10 minutes of interesting stuff inside every 'uninteresting' episode...very tricky.

Which one had them just discovering the hatch?
That was my favorite one, so intense and mystifying.

They discovered the hatch halfway in season 1, but they started exploring it beginning of season 2. But yeah I actually thought the island was all about the smoke monster when I first saw it. Totally wasn't expecting the hatch and the facilities there-after.

Wow, Season 1? Really?

Seasons 1 + 2 were the best.

Best seasons (in order):

Season 3
Season 1
Season 4
Season 2

Back