Mafia 2.

I thoroughly enjoyed the demo and look forward to release. The gun fights have a certain weight to them which is rare in most games.

zomg.png

Enjoyed the demo.

Here are my thoughts:

* The atmosphere is great with the cityscape, the people, and the music. It really immerses you in the late 50's world.
* The AI was a bit inefficient at times. Also it is kinda disappointing that there seems to be scripted sequences. But I can't remember if Mafia 1 was just like that as well.
* I especially enjoyed going on a killing spree in the suburban area right by your house. When the cops were chasing me on foot, it really felt suspenseful while I was shooting couples sitting at patio chairs in their backyards. Awesome.
* The driving takes sometime to get used to, but I imagine Mafia 1 was just like that when I first played it. The only thing I miss is when you would be able to shoot a pistol while driving. They seem to have took that out unfortunately. It was one of the things that made Mafia 1 standout from GTA 3 back then.
* I think the demo mission might have felt a bit underwhelming since I've already seen videos of it from e3. So there was really no tension or suspense while playing it. Yet I believe when I play the full game, I will be more immersed and won't know what to expect.

Overall, the demo feels a lot like Mafia 1 with just a touch of the GTA influence. But as long as it has the great storytelling and atmosphere like Mafia 1 then I'm sure it won't be a disappointment.

The AI is extremely dumb. I mean come on, look at this:

police.jpg

Or maybe its supremely intelligent, with disgruntled cops sick of the mundane world of policing, and wanting to break into the exciting world of organized crime. You just finally game him the opportunity to capitalize on his dreams. Completely unscripted too, his personality was dynamically generated. I am impressed.

i played the dmo on ps3 and i admit if i did play this i would not do so on ps3. The dmeo itself i thought was quite fun.

I didnt really mess around in the open world tho, i just did the mission so i didnt so any obvious examples of bad AI or anything that i noticed.

OMG LOL :LOL:

I cant seem to shoot while driving.

Pfft. Mafia my ass.

I think I may be getting this one though. I really REALLY like the firefights, they feel so much more realistic than most, and I like dying after a few hits. In so many games you're just Rambo and suck up the rounds, or like in films when 1 guy shooting at 100 is always more effective than 100 guys shooting at 1.

The driving isn't great, but the shooting's done well - much better than the original's. I'll pick this up when the price drops a little.

The AI is extremely dumb. I mean come on, look at this:

Yeah. Unarmed peds don't even change animation or say anything when a gun is pointed at their face.

This game is another good sample of why game devs can't get a freeroam game as polished as GTA4 unless you're on a ridiculously high budget.(fun aside)

I do remember car handling in the first to be better, but I also remember being able to put the car into a manual drive style. Its a shame they took that out as its great fun changing gears.

Where is this gun shop anyhow?

After playing the demo some more yesterday I got to enjoy some of the other features of Mafia II. After causing some mayhem I went back to a shop I had done some killing/stealing in and was greeted by a yellow "police line do not cross" tape hanging across the door. Didn't stop me from bashing in the door with a kick and stealing a raincoat, though. :)

Next thing I did was go back to a gun store where something happened as well and I ran into two policemen talking with the owner who said something like "so this fella came into the store and stole from me... matter of fact he looks like the man behind you, he thinks he's so smart having changed his clothes" and the police arrested me (I think I had actually shot the owner, contrary to what he said, but anyway). Nice event, I just hope it won't happen EVERYTIME I steal from a shop in the full game.

Or maybe its supremely intelligent, with disgruntled cops sick of the mundane world of policing, and wanting to break into the exciting world of organized crime. You just finally game him the opportunity to capitalize on his dreams. Completely unscripted too, his personality was dynamically generated. I am impressed.

Haha.

I've had that happen once to me and after a few seconds the cop leaned out of the window and started shooting. I think he was trying to shoot me but I can't be certain as there was some general chaos.

I'm bummed out. This was one of my anticipated games, but I don't know if I want to get it anymore, after hearing about how linear and short lived it is.

This game is another good sample of why game devs can't get a freeroam game as polished as GTA4 unless you're on a ridiculously high budget.(fun aside)

The fighting does shit all over GTA's from a height though.

yeah i did think that the gunplay was way better than gta 4's

I was the other way, but maybe the full version is better, I had some awesome gunfights in GTAIV, I remember I got in a gun fight with some black guys(not in a mission) after I shot another black guy, a police car pulls up and they kill the cops, then one of them slides from his cover behind a concrete block to the police car and continues shooting at me from there.

The Combat AI in GTAIV certainly seemed to do more than the one in Mafia 2.

You know Garg, that exact scenario happened to me on the M2 demo last night...

I'd love to have seen it.

Anyway to each man his own, I found GTAIV had more interesting gunfights than the Mafia 2(demo) anyway.

Agreed Gar, what I've seen so far from Mafia 2's shooting is that it's WAY more static than GTA4's.
GTA4's enemies respond properly to a lot of things, from the great NPC/ragdoll combination to the dozens of lines.

The fighting does shit all over GTA's from a height though.

Yes. The fist fighting makes GTA's look like a side addition. I don't know what I was pressing and I flipped a guy off in the middle of the fight then got punched for it. The combat is a little more fluid as well.

But the whole sandbox aspect just falls short in comparison. I don't feel compelled to really go around the world and mess with shit. Granted, it's only a demo, but are there even any side activities in the full game? I could go out there and shoot someone then run from the cops for 5 minutes, but really. At least in GTA you could go around the world playing with the euphoria physics, grab a fast vehicle, go flying off a ramp, and crash into a lamp post. And don't even get me started on Saints Row 2 :naughty:.

Well, it's got boobs.

I don't know anything about Mafia... it looks cool though. I might grab the first one because I generally don't pre-order/buy new games that I don't know a lot about already.

Oh cool you can't buy it, you can only get it free from preordering...

I don't know anything about Mafia... it looks cool though. I might grab the first one because I generally don't pre-order/buy new games that I don't know a lot about already.

Oh cool you can't buy it, you can only get it free from preordering...

It was available for free a couple of weeks ago on Direct 2 Drive, don't know if the offer still stands.

I'm bummed out. This was one of my anticipated games, but I don't know if I want to get it anymore, after hearing about how linear and short lived it is.

wait what, mafia was never about the free-roam. first one was a story-driven game. it was all about the characters, and what they went through.

And it was a bit poo. Mafia 2 may at least have good combat though :)

haha mafia was a poo? sure. go stick to your asian games.

Well, it didn't blow me away at release. Maybe 'poo' was a bit harsh, it was ok.

Asian games?? :p

Ok, so I wasn't expecting much, but I downloaded the demo, anyway.

I played a demo for the original a while ago, and thought it was alright, but somewhat lacking, considering it was a few years old. This seemed a lot more fulfilling. Some GTA about it but much more stylish and probably with a better storyline.

Considering I wasn't really interested before, I'll definitely consider buying it soon.

At least in GTA you could go around the world playing with the euphoria physics, grab a fast vehicle, go flying off a ramp, and crash into a lamp post. And don't even get me started on Saints Row 2 :naughty:.

Uh, are you saying you can't do this in Mafia 2? Because that would be a stupid statement, since you can. Theres ramps all over the place in the demo.

Try fistfighting near a wall, or a car door, or something like that. The fight actually ends quicker by slamming them against the wall/door. Pretty cool.

Also: For those of you complaining about the driving, there are two different styles in the options, classic and simulation. Try 'em both.

^^Mafia 2 didn't seem to have Euphoria physics in the demo, Euphoria is if you don't know basically a mix of AI and physics that allows for procedural on the fly generation of animations and character interactions.

The fighting's dull in Mafia 2. The enemies don't seem to do anything. The only good thing is that you can die in one hit, like in Mafia 1.

Mafia 1/GTA IV are much more fun.

from what I heard, the AI was dumbed down for the demo.

Slammed a guy's head against the bonnet of a car nearby earlier.

Oooooh, sick burn. Feels great and looked awesome.

And I like the Thompson when you piss the cops off enough. Firing feels really weighted and realistic.

well, that's what 2K's bitch said.

I don't get the hype. There's nothing noteworthy about this demo apart from its setting and the soundtrack. The gameplay is average and the visuals are outdated. I can't judge the story elements of the game since you barely get a taste of it in this demo.

Back