Meteorite hits Russia

Krynn72

The Freeman
Reaction score
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2013/feb/15/meteorite-explodes-over-russian-urals-live-updates
Good morning. A meteor streaked across the sky above the Ural Mountains in Russia this morning, injuring more than 400 people, many hurt by broken glass, and causing explosions.
Fragments of the meteor fell in a thinly populated area of the Chelyabinsk region, the Russian Emergency Ministry said in a statement.
Reports conflicted on what exactly happened in the clear skies. A spokeswoman for the Emergency Ministry, Irina Rossius, told the Associated Press that there was a meteor shower, but another ministry spokeswoman, Elena Smirnikh, was quoted by the Interfax news agency as saying it was a single meteor.

TURN DOWN THE VOLUME BEFORE WATCHING THIS. Nearly made me shit myself.

I bet everyone was russian inside.

Number injured was about 900 last I heard (shattering glass).

Thank god every god damn Russian has a dashcam for some reason.

4WWeePA.png

Thank god every god damn Russian has a dashcam for some reason.

Almost everyone has a dash cam out of necessity. Cases of road rage, traffic accidents, and insurance cons are very frequent, so a dash cam is a must, to prove that you are innocent.

Damn, that's scary. The way it was streaking down I was expecting some major impact!

I see the ultra-nationalists are blaming the US for using a 'new weapon'. Personally, I'd blame the aliens.... :blackalien:

The end of the world is nigh etc.

any other ace combat fans keep thinking of the ulysses asteroid? xD

Makes perfect sense that this hit Earth, there is barely any budget for asteroid defense, offense and obviously this makes no sense. $330 million in damages apparently. If this happened in America instead of Russia, everyone would drop everything about guns for a min and say they want protection.

All those windows breaking must have been a pane.

God damn, I sat here for like 5 minutes after Morg's first post trying to come up with a good window pun, but mine all sucked.

Have another crack at it. You probably just weren't in the right frame of mind.

I could see all those ones coming, you're so transparent.

**** all of you and your stupid puns.

This thread just became a right pane in my ass.

At least the news wasn't kept secret by Russia. The policy of glassnost is still alive and well.

This thread is pretty lighthearted with all these puns and no real discussion. All puns and no substance. I personally would have liked a slightly meteor discussion.

Another pun like that and you'll meteor maker.

A bodybuilder is trying to get into shape for a bodybuilding contest but his glutes still need to be toned. He has an asteroid.

Given what we know about other near-Earth objects (NEOs), it was likely comprised of densely packed iron and nickel.
Why couldn't it be made of something interesting? Or valuable?

The metrics of this thing are actually pretty frightening
What about the imperials?

Vegeta897 just because it's mostly iron and nickel doesn't mean there can't be anything interested in there. A lot of asteroids contain an amount of platinum that, while it might be small relative to the other elements in them, is far greater than the concentrations you'd find in a platinum mine. That's the whole point of that asteroid mining company a bunch of people were setting up.

So I'm confused. When it says it released all that energy... x times Hiroshima bomb, is that what was released during entry... when it exploded, or all of the above? I have a naive mind and when I hear energy compared to terms of x number of nuclear explosions, I think "WELL WHY DIDN'T MORE PEOPLE DIE!?"

Well it landed in some remote place didn't it?

And plus, no nasty side effects of nukes.

Oh, the energy released was when it exploded. It apparently exploded 10-15 miles above earth's surface(for some reason I thought it was shitloads closer) and so the explosive force didn't do very much to the ground in terms of fire and brimstone like we associate nuclear blasts to be.

It doesn't look at all like it's 15 miles above earth's surface. :eek:

Makes me shit my pants even more at how scary it is that far away.

Yeah, and since it's not a small star going off there wasn't an incredible heat release either so no one got blinded or anything.

rAZdKMZ.gif

c9aWmo1.gif

uLPbEn7.gif

I couldn't get the video because I don't live in the States.
Yes. This is how I watch Jon Stewart.
With Gifs.

Back