Miscellaneous

No idea what you're referring to with that corn dog comment MFL. I'm not even sure what a corn dog is.
Might've meant chilidog, Sonic's favorite. Sorry about your pet, looks like he enjoyed the outdoors.

Man, I really need to stop drinking.... That was weird... I coulda sworn.... nah, nevermind...

Man, I really need to stop drinking.... That was weird... I coulda sworn.... nah, nevermind...
Don't worry about it.

2ZIrSsg.jpg

Oh god. Home for a weekend and I get uncommonly bored and don't feel like sleeping and of course I roll through the old forum to see what's up. Random conversations on my page got me thinking about stuff in the past. Little interactions are there and I can't decide whether they meant so much or so little looking back and I just wish I could remember a little of their goddamn context. Some of them lead me to recall people I used to spend, no exaggeration, hours talking to almost daily. And for the life of me I can't remember much at all of what we talked about or who they really were or even much of what was going on in my own life at the time except that it was bad and awkward and for all the good that falling into these digital friendships and communities did me it was still more bad than good for me to do it at the time. I feel bad for not remembering and I feel bad for those friendships just stopping with almost no warning and me having no idea who those people are anymore. I feel bad that I probably never will and I regret not having spoken to some people who I never really even got started talking to. I swear to god I was fine two hours ago and now just thinking about... seven to three years ago. Christ it sounds like such a long time and it still feels like it almost didn't happen. I haven't thought about this stuff in atleast two years, even if I was active here it was just because I was having a bored couple of days or weeks and I never really came close to getting absorbed or even remembering being absorbed like I was in those days. And there's absolutely no call for this. Just a second of boredom and peeking at some old old stuff. This was the happiest I've ever been in life: doing well at Uni and enjoying it too, love, health, not a thing to not be ecstatic about. And god I know this'll be passing but that's kind of what makes me feel shittiest. As much as I liked this place and loved a bunch of you on it, it was at the absolute lowest point in my life so far when I really really was deep into this and called some of you my friends and cared about your problems. And I don't think I could ever really do that again without losing what I have right now. Maybe there's some level of compromise but I truly feel I could never approach what I had then on a fundamental level. And that's okay and they don't need me and probably just look back on me as a solid internet acquaintance from one time or another but god does it make me feel like shit right now and I just wish I had valued them and this place a little more as the beacon of light in that shitty tunnel of a time and not let it drift away so easily in my memory at the first sign of success in life because frankly yall were better to me than that. God I feel like shit and I have no idea what I'm talking about. I love you guys. Even though you won't see it, Blackthorn, Cavalry, Emporius, McHammer, you are all awesome and I think it'd be cool if we talked it up again. Honorable mentions to anyone who frequented steam chat and didn't suck.

And BHC, for a long time I think I thought you were No Limit because you had the same Heisenberg avatar at one point and I probably have had a bias towards thinking you're a tool because of that.

Edit: Feel like a dick for not mentioning you now, Bob.

I read your entire post, Sheepo. I forgive you for thinking I'm one of the biggest tools this forum has ever been victim to because you have a legacy here I generally consider positive. I'm enjoying that you're posting again and generally feel good about the vibe you're giving across because it seems like you're happier in real life than ever and I'm hopefully heading in the same direction. Looking back is always such a strange thing.

I appreciate that and I hope you are heading that way. To be clear, I believe I recognized that I had some misconception about you pretty early and started thinking of you as a different person.

I never did learn why MCHammer got permabanned...

Glad to hear things are working out better for you Sheepo. Emporius and I still talk, he mentions you and Cavalry from time to time. Stuff happens in life, everyone takes long breaks from the forums so I wouldn't worry too much about that!

That's cool, I'm not really worried too much about it. Just was on a weird massive memory/guilt trip last night. Hopefully I can make the time and effort to try and talk them up soon, but honestly I'd be surprised if I managed to have a chance for more than like two weeks because of how the rest of my Spring/Summer is.

Band getting radio play from BBC Introducing. Made me semi-erect. No better excuse to post in the Misc Thread, I guess.

bbcintroducing.jpg

When? Is there an internet radio version? I want to judge you Stylo.

When's the Rolling Stone spread and photo shoot of band members glancing emphatically at nothing in particular?

Make sure you don't make the mistake of thinking giant record labels are a bad idea if you get approached by a scout, just cut out a good debut deal and limited contract and get a consultation from a middle party (often times accountant/broker types) who will ensure you don't have to make concessions or get ****ed into playin. Making money is awesome.

Dig the sound man. The vocals reminds me of Dylan/Black Key's/Franz.

Your guitarists make me happy.

I frigging love Black Keys so this is a mega complement.

Heh, you're welcome! Do you have a website or somewhere I could find your band's music? I'm always looking for new stuff.

Heh, you're welcome! Do you have a website or somewhere I could find your band's music? I'm always looking for new stuff.
We have a website (here) but we don't have much music up except for some singles for sale which are 3 years old and don't really accurately reflect our current sound. It's our only downfall at the moment but we're rectifying this by planning to record an album at the beginning of June. We basically have it all set to go so we're really hoping it goes ahead. Most of our reputation has been built up doing gigs and playing live sets on the radio.

One of the most frustrating things is not being able to give out a solid CD of our music that is current.
This page most accurately reflects the kind of thing we do, although I really can't wait to get some proper f*cking recordings done:
https://soundcloud.com/rockmelon

Also, you might like this which I seem to not have the original file for anywhere but the guitarist in the band'll have it:

There is a lot resting on this album. This year we're hoping to kick our exposure up a bunch of gears.

Crazy amounts of amounts of dedication paying off, really cool shit dude. The music, after a lot of hesitation, was actually very smile inducing and I left it on. Cool!

Agreed on a (good) portion of Black Keys. I think the best lives shows I've ever had the chance to attend were The Black Keys and my favorite folk musician Tom Paxton. He was often a duo with Dylan before the big D exploded to Beiber level worship and starting putting as much coke up his noise to celebrate his distortion and elderly hospice car sound. Paxton stayed very loyal to unplugged Folk music and does intimate ~15t o 30 seater shows in tiny towns. Everyone there kind of knows him and it's not gushy or weird, a couple of the guys were vietnam veterans of his that survived, he was a fierce critic. I asked him once to play Lyndon Johnson Told the Nation and he said "I've had to bury that tune" in a somber voice. Two days later we escalated Afghanistan and two of my friends were deployed.

Huge digression. What is important to say is keep up the hard work and stick to what you love, not to what is expected of ya. I think you'd have a hard time doing anything else anyways duder. Once again, cheers! I'm jealous!!!

Dig the sound man. The vocals reminds me of Dylan/Black Key's/Franz.

Your guitarists make me happy.
Crazy amounts of amounts of dedication paying off, really cool shit dude. The music, after a lot of hesitation, was actually very smile inducing and I left it on. Cool!
Again, thank you. The lead guitarist and I (who write most of the songs together) have been going as a band since 2006 (and friends since 2001) so we've had a lot of years gigging and playing experience together.

As for passion and dedication, I'd like to think so. I discovered the joys of rock quite early at around 8 years old due to having an older brother who'd already got into it. It became all I had during a lot of my pre-teen / early teen life. I'd listen to records whenever I could and always wanted to be like all the people that inspired me and shizz. Got pretty serious about being a musician a couple of years after starting the band. Since then we've been slogging our guts out playing to one man and his dog one night and 30 people the next until eventually we got some recognition and bagged some better support slots.

Just gotta keep building on it!

I edited the post amply as I always seem to! Yeah, it really is just more and more work. Just an odd and fortunate timing, the radio is shockingly playing some actual fun creative music on the alt stations again. At least around here. So while I was joking about the mag cover, a part of me is serious about at least mild stardom.

Hell, you already had to chase a stalker away (Veg?), now you just have to remember to play for your heart and soul, not just the same genre fans and paychecks expect. Do you have any links of, even raw pre-prudctions stuff that has a totally different pace and sound? I know a band that seems like yours that can seemingly play any damn genre in any given venue. They're a Milwaukee and Chicago local and I admire them and the lead because he talks directly to fans despite selling out their shows. It's lovely and hilarious when the drinks shake in the room because people are jarred at my request that they switch to Delta Blues from traditional rock n' roll.

I digress but I'm glad you understand that the hardest parts are still to come, despite this being a major landmark event. On that lil' list of folks who update us on their awesome successes and remain semi-present without ever appearing showoff'y. Keep at it and don't start using base or destroying hotel rooms just yet.

BHC

p.s. You inspired me to work on my piece on human-supremacy, in which I'm arguing against myself on an ethical circlejerk.

My breaks from "work" are spent writing on places like this or Facebook with walls of text I save for myself but are a fun break from the soul crushing nature of a blinking MS Word cursor.

Having another mode of work besides paying off my post-graduate education with grading and leading discussion sections would give me more in-pocket cash, but I enjoy hating professionally and as a hobby.

What are the next couple major, major goals for your own personal career and will they sustain you financially/emotionally?

I continue to imagine you looking like a low-bit image of Meatwad and shit. What's up next in terms of recording for you all?

Can' wait for you to sign my glorious chest with my cred of having known you extremely distantly through the internette.

This of course this, if you dare watch it. It's definitely different, lol.
May contain large amounts of hair.

Can't watch on fascist student computers, I'm supposed to be grading, but grading a college freshmen on their idea of scholarly writing makes me increasingly bitter in my remarks so breaks must be taken to fraternize or denigrate people here where they'll never bother blocking our student accounts from.

Alright, back to the horse shit for another hour, hopefully someone posts something I can reply to with four pages of delusional pseudo-intellectual bitter sounding thread closers when I walk home. Cheers duder.

Also, I edited almost every post here to contain more thoughts on your successes. I have to cut myself off before I'm forced to write a "pity me" email to my advisor. Ciao. for real. brzzttttwitch.

What are the next couple major, major goals for your own personal career and will they sustain you financially/emotionally?
Right now I have a mundane job and I really don't want to think about being in it for life. My career goals currently revolve entirely around the music. If nothing has happened in a few years time, then I'll consider re-evaluating my life but the "never give up" mentality has gotten me this far, I'd like to think it can get me further.

I know the band has the passion and the drive, we just have a fight on our hands to really break into a much wider audience but I feel we're heading in the right direction. My job right now is financially fine and emotionally not so. Mostly because I feel I don't belong sat in front of a computer for hours, missing the sunlight.

Eventually getting paid enough as a band (as we do get paid, just not enough to live off) for playing would definitely be the aim for both my finance and emotions.

From what I've been told by the few people I know who are on their way to being successful, there is usually a period at the start of your rise to recognition where you are touring on hardly any money and are broke as hell. That's the point where you either make it or you go back to your regular 9 to 5. I'm not worried about that though. I've been financially poor before in life and though it sucked, I got by. Doing it to serve a life dream would be worth it.

What's up next in terms of recording for you all?
Definitely the album. Looking at 10 tracks to be recorded this Summer in June. Shouldn't be too long after that when it becomes available. We have a studio, money and a really professional guy (who actually WANTS to record the band, which is great) all lined up to do it.

Y'all will know about it when it's done because I will likely post and not shut up about it. Don't plan on recording any demos in between as we have gigs lined up, one which is supporting the lead singer of Electric Six doing his solo acoustic stuff, acoustic being something we have rarely done live and so we really have to focus on getting tight with the set we have planned.

Can' wait for you to sign my glorious chest with my cred of having known you extremely distantly through the internette.
Man, even if I were to become majorly successful, I'd still post here.

Liking the music too, Stylo! Best of luck recording your next album.

Thanks all for the kind words, I'm now gonna shift this thread a bit. Staying with the topic of music, albeit someone else's music, my favourite band in the world and biggest inspiration last released a fresh album in 2007. 6 frustrating years later, Queens Of The Stone Age have just put out their first single from this year's album.

It made me weep guitar riffs. I now can't stop listening to it:

Love Queens of the Stone Age. Will be picking this up.

Love me some QOTSA but that sounds pretty tame on first listen. I really, really dug the way they experimented with their style and sound on Era Vulgaris and this feels like a bit of a step back. Maybe it'll grab me once I've listened to it more.

Still, hard not to get excited about Mr. Grohl on drums again.

Love me some QOTSA but that sounds pretty tame on first listen. I really, really dug the way they experimented with their style and sound on Era Vulgaris and this feels like a bit of a step back. Maybe it'll grab me once I've listened to it more.

Still, hard not to get excited about Mr. Grohl on drums again.
General consensus that I've heard is that people think this single is closer to what Them Crooked Vultures did (which would make sense with Homme, Grohl and Johannes all playing on the new album) but without losing the QOTSA vibe. Have to agree that it's less like Era Vulgaris, as much as I loved that record, but it would probably fit in well with Rated R or Songs For The Deaf which I can't complain about. Loved all of QOTSA's albums so far and I've been hitting repeat on 'My God Is The Sun' for a while.

Needless to say if that is what the album sounds like, I won't be disappointed. They're also doing a World Tour soon so I need to get my ass there. Seen them twice (once at a festival at which I lost my phone, never to be found again) already but I've enjoyed their live shows so much, I definitely want more.

Last weekend I made one of those GoPro videos people seem to like, I think it's pretty cool.

Back