New banner thing for the forums which was obviously put in just now.

Thoughts on new fixed width style

• Win

Votes: 31 44.9%
  • Fail

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • Sod off. I'll stick to my BLUE style

Votes: 18 26.1%

• Total voters

Nibwoddle

Reaction score
Upon signing it half an hour ago there was no banner, but now there is! I like it, the forums feel a lot more like they match with the main site.

Yeah, I think it made the actual forums smaller. (aesthetically speaking)

I've just made it the default skin but the other full length one is still selectable at the bottom of the page. I've added a vote to your thread in the hope I can get some feedback on this new style.

I've just made it the default skin but the other full length one is still selectable at the bottom of the page. I've added a vote to your thread in the hope I can get some feedback on this new style.
To be fair, it does tie in with the rest of the site quite nicely, but how come the side blue banners? It messed up the wide screen view I liked.

Hmmm...I'll keep it narrow for a while and see how it goes.

Bit odd after being here for 5 years and seeing it look so different, but that isn't a bad thing. I'll keep it narrow for a while and see how I feel.

If anything, it feels like I'm posting on SPUF - http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/index.php, they use this fixed width also.

FYI, anyone who wants to try the new style. Scroll right down to the bottom of this page, and look for the 'style change' box. It looks like this:

Choose the fixed width one to trial it.

We've gone through a lot of changes with the forums and I've realised that no matter whats changed people will hate it because it's different. I think it's about time the forums joined up with the site more. The old/current layout was only meant to be a temp thing but I've been sitting on my arse so long everyones got used to it being what the forums look like.

I like it as I no longer have to resize my window to shorten the amount of text on each line of a paragraph. :p

Agh, my eyes keep drifting to the far left to read whatever is next.

I quite like it. I'll try it for the rest of the day and see if i like it.

The new style is bugged for me. It returns to normal width in some threads.

I've got a 17" monitor so full size looks best for me. I don't care if the banner's plain, though.

Full width please with a different, simple, forum banner.

I didn't notice the change. But i like it.

although this one ain't bad, i do prefer the old banner

I love the banner, but like my forum at full width.

I'm difficult to please, but I'm oh so worth it.

I use blue, but just glancing at it, I don't want it or like it despite ugly tan. (so if it was in blue, I wouldn't want it either)

I like it. It makes switching from the main page to the forums feel like a more smooth transition.

I love it. Munro if you take it away I will sodomize your firstborn.

I like the banner a lot, but I like full width even more. Also, for some reason scrolling up and down by dragging the scrollbar is jerky for me in fixed width occasionally. So it's a reserved 'Fail' for now, but if you could find some way of incorporating the banner into the full width setup that'd be swish.

Also, for some reason scrolling up and down by dragging the scrollbar is jerky for me in fixed width occasionally

Me too, that's very strange. Anyhow I am quite enjoying using this fixed width style, even though it's not blue. Good work :emote:

Well, this is very strange.

Hmm. I shall have to see how I find it after prolonged use.

Maybe I'll get used to it, but for now
it seems a bit incongruous, and
indeed I feel as if it's
cramped up the...
whole...what the
hell? oh my god
the walls are
closing in!
help me!
help!
he

We've gone through a lot of changes with the forums and I've realised that no matter whats changed people will hate it because it's different. I think it's about time the forums joined up with the site more. The old/current layout was only meant to be a temp thing but I've been sitting on my arse so long everyones got used to it being what the forums look like.

See, I'm real glad I didn't have to drag my eyes across to read that whole thing, and the Poll has certainly shown there are more people who like it than those who don't. Thanks again, anyway. At least we can choose to have it however we want. This site is great. :)

Is it a coincidence that my quicknav now says Your PM box is 90% full or was that updated as well?

are you going to do a blue style -Fixed width- design too?

's not bad, although I prefered it widescreen. Still, I like Dodo's banner.

I think what Munro said was that he wanted to skin the forums the same as the main site, and that these simple colours were just a stopover. Obviously he'd keep the simple style for noobs like you, but he wants to reskin the forums. I think.

Back