New site design

Bl if the dimensions for the banner changes when the new one pops up.

Nice blending the pictures together, rather effective :>

The other make little sense, as HL2 is under DoD or TF2 respectively.

That is some impressive design you have there Dodo. The only issue with it is the lack of L4D reference, but saying that...adding it in may upset the current balance. Hmmm.

Yea, maybe replace the third TF2 character with L4D and slim down the CSS design. After which, a public vote perchance?

ill replace the demoman with a running zombie k ? And ill change it in "#1" (the first one with the text on the left).
oh and thanks for the feedback guys, much appriciated : D

-dodo

ill replace the demoman with a running zombie k ? And ill change it in "#1" (the first one with the text on the left).
oh and thanks for the feedback guys, much appriciated : D

-dodo

Not a problem. :)

Can't wait!

added a small rim around the text and added the four from L4D and a zombie.

Hl2netBanner05.jpg

-dodo

It looks incredible! The only tiny tiny nitpick thing I don't like is how it seems the portal guy is part of the text, both being white with the blue aura. There's not really any way to fix that without rearranging, but whatever.

Overall, well done riomhaire. I just don't like how the L4D characters are obstructing the Portal area. It just doesn't look right.

Yours is nice Riom but it doesn't blend as well as Dodo's, which I think is important to not be too distracting.

But the gman is the only character that appears is every HL game! (as far as I know, Gordon isn't in Decay)

Edit: I have discovered something in photoshop. Turning up contrast and down brightness makes any image instantly look cooler.

But the gman is the only character that appears is every HL game! (as far as I know, Gordon isn't in Decay)

Edit: I have discovered something in photoshop. Turning up contrast and down brightness makes any image instantly look cooler.
Lol, I do this to all the pics I take.

Though it's just cuz my cam takes incredibly drab pics, I guess.

f**k brightness and contrast. Levels and Curves FTW !!

-dodo

Yes. Nice to have a change I think ..... but the banner is poor. Why don't you have a competiton to design the new HL2.net banner?

That is a great idea! To bad it will never happen ever :(

Yeah, I don't think anyone on hl2.net would want to make a banner.

itt Joule missing the sarcasm.

We already have people making excellent banners :p

Well, tbh, I'm not sure Krynn was being sarcastic. Either way, no competition is needed.

My initial feeling was great, gj on the update. But skimming through this topic I think dodo's is v positive, however it may not
fit the grey/blue scheme of everything,
quite like the current banner.
I hesitate to comment with a denunciating vigour regarding banners as Im not the most savvy of web users (is flash out of the question?), but I have a degree of credence regarding fine artistry :D , kind of!
I respect the people's opinions who vehemently disagree with the current design, who have forced a foot in the door of sorts, as a competition would be cool & productive! But if we stick with this design it's not a bad thing imo.:p

EDIT: The new button system thingy is good imo too! :)

They are all good but I think how dodo did the beautiful collage of Valve games should take my vote:

Hl2netBanner05.jpg

Yet the image of Gordon should either be this or the other one I like better:

470c32b3b3b24_featured_without_text_theorangebox.jpg

hl2ep22.jpg

We need a contest and a news topic about this. Maybe add a poll on the side so the public can vote on stuff too. Every entry though has been so far amazing.

hl2banner.png

Those should be the tabs as well I feel. Can anybody possibly spiff up the left4dead411.com website?

I still think that we should have rotating banners. Maybe we could even just have a running submission where people can continue making banners and then be added into the rotation?

This is the general layout of a banner I made a long time ago, back when the banner contest idea was first mentioned:

banner1hs9.jpg

But I thought the crowbar was a bit much so I got rid of it.
banner2zq9.jpg

At the time I only designed it around HL2 and no other Valve games...so maybe I will try to fit the other games in there. But I actually want to make a new banner altogether, so I think I'll do that.

Also, banner rotation!

Woah! Site update!

Someone want a banner...? :|

My favourite. It's much cleaner. TBH I think having every game slapped on teh banner looks too untidy. You could have multiple banners on rotation; one for each game.

Back