Nintendo Revolution to play Sega Genesis games

Gamespot said:
According to Nintendo, over 1,000 games for Sega's Genesis console, released in 1989, will be added to the Revolution's library.

Wow 1,000 SEGA games! :eek:

It's actually a selection of the best games from 1,000. Also, TurboGrafx games will be available as well. I expect a lot of independent companies to produce new 2d games downloadable through the virtual console which is very cool.

The Zelda DS game sounds interesting with the use of the touchscreen, I honestly think the cel-shaded graphics will fit much better on the DS than they did on the Gamecube.

All in all, 2 great surprises from the GDC conference, but the big news will all be revealed at E3 as far as revolution is concerned. :)

ATTENTION!
Everyone getting a Revolution MUST get Sonic 3 & Knuckles, that is all.

This is certainly good news ... but is this whole "virtual console" really that big of a deal? I mean, computers and even some consoles like the PSP have had emulators capable of this for some time now. It's a good feature but I don't see how playing all these old games that are already available is a huge selling point for the system.

Haha...there was actually a Sonic 3 and then a seperate game called Sonic and Knuckles I believe. But will they virtually allow you to sit other sonic games on top of the Sonic and Knuckles catridge? :D

And its a selling point because people are both nostalgic and lazy. Really, how many people do you know that would enjoy duck hunt have actually gone and gotten an emulator?

I don't know how you could go wrong with this! I love that so many of my favorite games will be available at the press of a button instead of loading up the dusty cartridges. The Rev is really looking good...and that's not even mentioning the innovative gameplay sure to be a staple of the system! E3 this year is going to be particularly awesome! :thumbs:

Revolution ftw, just for the sheer amount of nostalgic seckz it's going to be providing us.

ríomhaire said:
ATTENTION!
Everyone getting a Revolution MUST get Sonic 3 & Knuckles, that is all.
Absolutely, but for ppl w/o this, just get it for the pc :)

DEATHMASTER said:

Or the cheap bastards could raise the relatively low cost for the Revolution and play it like it's supposed to be.

Anyway, both fantastic pieces of news. I hope Phantom Hourglass wraps up the rather unsatisfying end of Wind Waker as it looks as if the world is still flooded.

Reginald said:
Or the cheap bastards could raise the relatively low cost for the Revolution and play it like it's supposed to be.
With a motion-enabled one handed controller? Hell, it'd be cheaper to buy the original cart and the console of ebay anyway wouldn't it? Besides, I wouldn't waste precious time on even downloading the games I played in my youth. Well, I did, and as soon as the rose spectacles I wore got shattered I realised how utterly dull they were.

Yes that even includes Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Perhaps not Sonic 2 :p

And I was under the impression that Nintendo already spent the GBA generation re-releasing SNES and Mega Drive games. Hopefully they'll be more affordable this time round. I hope their idea of "iTunes store for games" equates to the same 0.66p price range that i'm thinking of.

DEATHMASTER said:
I did :D
But it seems every time I download a rom something on this computer goes horrible wrong.

kupoartist said:
With a motion-enabled one handed controller? Hell, it'd be cheaper to buy the original cart and the console of ebay anyway wouldn't it? Besides, I wouldn't waste precious time on even downloading the games I played in my youth. Well, I did, and as soon as the rose spectacles I wore got shattered I realised how utterly dull they were.

Yes that even includes Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Perhaps not Sonic 2 :p
I played S3&K a few months ago and I still loved it! 3&K>2 because you get Hyper Sonic, Hyper Knuckles and Super Tails!
*goes to rom site*
*downloads Sonic 2*
*computer explodes*

Wow. This library of downloadable games is gonna be huge!

kupoartist said:
With a motion-enabled one handed controller?

The controller can be tilted onto its side to act as a two buttoned controller. Or you could use the controller shell.

It's unlikely that there will be any "free-hand gimmicks" with older games. And if there are, I imagine they will still be playable in "Classic" mode.

Uh guys...I didn't mean download the game LOL.
The game is actually available by sega on the pc...cd-rom.
I got mine from ebgames a long time ago...back when it was
still called ebx :thumbs:

DEATHMASTER said:
Uh guys...I didn't mean download the game LOL.
The game is actually available by sega on the pc...cd-rom.
I got mine from ebgames a long time ago...back when it was
still called ebx :thumbs:

In that case.... :thumbs: to you. And I redirect my 'cheap bastards' comment at everyone else.

kupoartist said:
With a motion-enabled one handed controller?
Turn the controller sidways why don't ya(Trust me its a good idea!).... or use a regular controller that will also be available to buy.

So I can spend money for a console that has a fancy looking Zelda and games I played back in the early 90's?

hooray.

Actually Zelda is for the Gamecube.

The attractive part is that this is all IN ADDITION to a new Nintendo console.

Direwolf said:
The attractive part is that this is all IN ADDITION to a new Nintendo console.
It's kind of worrying that Nintendo are still making a point of letting this new console take a backseat to its back-catalogue though. Makes it seem that they don't have all that much to wow us with.

good news

that means we can play the old sonic games for free

kupoartist said:
It's kind of worrying that Nintendo are still making a point of letting this new console take a backseat to its back-catalogue though. Makes it seem that they don't have all that much to wow us with.

Nintendo is focusing on the console at e3, the GDC wasn't a big thing for nintendo this year :) Also, i believe Iwata said that there was one more unannounced feature that would be shown at e3(possibly involving the flap of mystery on the front of the rev) Just wait 'til it 's all explained to worry, Ninty hasn't done anything bad yet :)

With all these downloadable games, does that mean the Revolution will have an optional or built-in hard drive?

This is good news, but personally I can't really get excited about this becuase I've played all those old games and the good ones were rare.

Also the price isn't stated. I assume they are about $1 which is about .50 or .75 cents too much IMO.

I can't say I miss them, unless I can play them for free. In that case, I'd definately say they are worth a download, just for the memories.

It's a nice selling point, and adds to the system, but the idea of paying for these old games .. well maybe a few of them would be worth $1

I hope some of these young guys can get an idea of what games used to be like.

I had all of the old systems they list, even the TurboGrafx-16. I really liked "The Legendary Axe" for TG-16. That was a really good game... that was just about the only great game for that system though.

Well most people will think that theres more value in their old games than that. I know I sure as hell do, especially since I no longer have the ability to play any of them.

And Nintendo not showing stuff off for their system yet just puts them on the same timeline as most releases. For instance how much did you know about the 360 this time last year?

I love my old games enough to keep their catridges functioning, and to download them so I don't have to dust off the SNES or N64, but by the same token I love them enough to re-own them legally and play them on what is possibly the best console to ever exist.

This is great news.
I absolutely hate using keyboards with Sonic, and my pc gamepad is a piece of shite.
All pc game pads are shite and ruin the vintage gaming experience.

_Z_Ryuken said:
I absolutely hate using keyboards with Sonic, and my pc gamepad is a piece of shite.
All pc game pads are shite and ruin the vintage gaming experience.
I've had my eye on the wired 360 control for my PC, but I don't personally have any games to use it for at the moment.

In case you hadn't considered it, you might want to get one if you have games for the PC that are better suited to a gamepad.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you that it's the best control ever made - which brings me to the revolution controller which isn't available yet; I guess they will have docking bays for thier revolution controller, making it like a gamepad for these old school games?

Nintendo win this generation's console wars...... with 16 bit games :D

I'm sure I don't have to tell you that it's the best control ever made - which brings me to the revolution controller which isn't available yet; I guess they will have docking bays for thier revolution controller, making it like a gamepad for these old school games?
There will be a Gamecube style controller released for the games that require an analogue, but for older games TURN THE REVOLUTIONS CONTROLLER SIDEWAYS!

oh ok

Im still wondering about a built-in or optional hard drive, modem, what type of ways that it can be hooked up to a monitor or TV, and prices for all this stuff. I mean it's supposed to be quite cheap but they aren't known for being all about online support.

I am so tired of considering If I should buy things like modems and hard drives cables, memory cards, all this stuff for consoles, then they don't even make them useable on their next system. All these things add up and it's expensive, especially if you are like me and eventually buy all the consoles because of those certain games that I have to have.

They are setting themselves up for some .. i don't know how to say it.. some "future consumer rejection" if they don't stop selling us the same shit over and over when some of it could easily be useable for their next system.

I know some becomes obsolete but make an effort at least is all im asking

EDIT: in conclusion the price of this system is it's strongest selling point, so are all these peripherals like secondary controllers and modems and such going to set the price of this system right there with the 360 which at least does have a built in modem and is a much more powerful console... MEH. I hope Nintendo is prepared to make the sacrifices like Sony and Microsoft is when selling their hardware!

A) If your beef is things becoming obsolete, then the Revolution should excite you. Besides being backward compatible with not just GC games, but also GC controllers and memory cards, they're now going to establish a service that should be able to carry over their old games from system to system.

B) With their back catalog being such a big selling point, do you REALLY think that they're gonna all of a suddenly decide that you'll have to shell out big money for storage and internet connectivity. I'd be very surprised if both of those weren't built in. And suppose that those "extra" costs brought it up to 360 prices. That would mean it would be comparable with a 360 that has NO wireless controllers, NO harddrive, and NO real internet connectivity.

VirusType2 said:
oh ok

Im still wondering about a built-in or optional hard drive, modem, what type of ways that it can be hooked up to a monitor or TV, and prices for all this stuff. I mean it's supposed to be quite cheap but they aren't known for being all about online support.

Now they are. They are aiming to get 80-90% of the Rev owners to play online (compared to 10-ish% of the Xbox owners).

You get a flashmemory with the console for storage and wlan for the networking.

This is getting better and better. What a brilliant move on Nintendo's part... the Rev is gonna pwn!

Back