NK Admitts to Having Nukes

For the very reasons Tr0n has mentioned, if I were Kim Il, I'd just pick a day and attack without any warning.. it'd be pretty much impossible to defend yourself against a missile in the air no matter who you are.

However, I would speculate that there are some satellites pointing at various north korean silo's right now waiting for that to happen.

bliink said:
For the very reasons Tr0n has mentioned, if I were Kim Il, I'd just pick a day and attack without any warning.. it'd be pretty much impossible to defend yourself against a missile in the air no matter who you are.

However, I would speculate that there are some satellites pointing at various north korean silo's right now waiting for that to happen.
and what if you miss one? All it needs is one nuke to be missed (and lets face it, this is the US army who'd probably run in there so missing a couple is a given ;)) and once that goes up....

The Dark Elf said:
and what if you miss one? All it needs is one nuke to be missed (and lets face it, this is the US army who'd probably run in there so missing a couple is a given ;)) and once that goes up....
Spec ops are probally gonna be the first to go in followed by marines.

You are right...it is a possiblity they could miss one or more.

Tr0n said:
Spec ops are probally gonna be the first to go in followed by marines.

You are right...it is a possiblity they could miss one or more.
Also isn't it common for countries to keep such things in different places, the not putting all your eggs in one basket thing. eg: The US have bases over here in the UK and other countries, Who's to say NK haven't made deals people don't know about and they could have things stashed away right under others noses in countries the US probably wont want to start fighting with without really causing a lot of trouble with the UN and the rest of the world (picking a fight with harmless desert countries is one thing, picking a fight with more western countries is another.

And the UK is just backwards enough to have probably done some deal and allowed NK to keep a few nukes over here somewhere.

GhostFox said:
Have you seen this artilliary?

Nope but I've cleaned up from it afterwards... It's some bad ****. But it can't take a city. Not Seoul, it's right on the DMZ... You can dine in a cafe overlooking NK border soldiers..

It's too well defended... It's not like they keep guns from their citizens or anything stupid like that.

(Praying to a god I don't believe in....) Please Oh god let the idiots of this world understand that there are good reasons to keep Governments from taking away the right of its people to bear arms

it'd be pretty much impossible to defend yourself against a missile in the air no matter who you are.

Completely agree, which is why I'd bet the US has tactical bombers on 24 hour standby in SK. An insertion could take weeks to plan, and is much harder to suceed. The US could probably air-strike NK silos within 20-30 minutes of warning. And I think the movies have taught us it takes a really long time to launch a missle, which all the "BEEP BEEP" sirens and the red flashing lights and all the keys and such :p

It's too well defended

I understand what you are saying, but I don't understand how as a city you could possibly defend it from thousands of artilliry shells per hour. Wouldn't most buildings be leveled? I realize that SK would mobilize quickly, but from everything I have read, if NK decides to strike all out against Seoul, the city is pretty much toast. That is why the 35k US troops there are on a 45 minute evacuation schedual. Obviously someone is worried.

GhostFox said:
Completely agree, which is why I'd bet the US has tactical bombers on 24 hour standby in SK. An insertion could take weeks to plan, and is much harder to suceed. The US could probably air-strike NK silos within 20-30 minutes of warning. And I think the movies have taught us it takes a really long time to launch a missle, which all the "BEEP BEEP" sirens and the red flashing lights and all the keys and such :p

And the morons who can't turn the switch at the same time.

"On three, we turn"

"Gotcha"

"One... two... three!"

Man one turns the key immediately, and a few moments later, man two turns his.

"I thought we were going to turn it after three, not on three!"

GhostFox said:
Did you miss all the people on here arguing that he was a normal guy? You will somehow find lots of people who don't think he's nuts.

IIRC nobody was arguing that he was a normal guy. But we're sure that the man is not stupid. Any attempt to start shit would only result in him being crushed.

Crazy =/= Stupid

he is a war president, im sure hell find a useful solutions for where his nukes end up.

on american or enemy soil im guessing. with 40 nukes heading at him at the same time.

Who said there will be any warning? And will you know where the missles are?
The silos may be well hidden with decoy silos, or maybe the missles are on mobile missle platform launchers.

They've got 2000km range missles (short range) at the moment, but I think they are developing second generation ones that can reach alaska and Hawaii.(8000km range).

Although putting the crude nuclear device into the missle is harder than it looks.

So would someone like to point out to me why North Korea would launch a nuclear attack on America?

I'm undecided about the NK pres's sanity, I don't deny he might be a bit odd, but I know what the west's propaganda machine can do with that. I just can't imagine him randomly nuking a country, makes far more sense that he has got them for a sure defense against the South, and Uncle Sam.

I see a lot of people quickly label him as insane, but do they hold the honour of being his psychologist?

If he's so insane why hasn't he launched chemical missles on japan, south korea yet? He has had the missle range since 1998.

China used to be exactly like North Korea in the days of the cultural revolution, until Mao died.

And North Korea actually have alright relationships today with China and Russia, they have an Alliance with China still.

Anyway just some things to think about. Don't always believe your leaders when they say some nation is an outpost of tyrany etc.

That's exactly what Kim Jong Il is telling his people about USA.

Exactly. He can't risk using them openly, because he'd be destroyed. I don't think he'd put he'd sell them to other nations either, because if we even got slightly suspicious, we'd take him out. This is just a deterrent. He's a dog that's been cornered, and now he's baring his teeth as a warning to not **** with him.

I wouldn't worry about NK attacking Japan, attacking Japan would bring the United States into a war with NK, assuming he doesn't want a war with the U.S.. Infact, with NK I think it's a case of its bark is worse than its bite.

NK wants everyone to think they have a nuclear weapons program as a deterrent against future attacks, and they probably do have a Nuclear Weapons program, but I don't think they'd use them unprovoked, even at all if it came to it.

Absinthe said:
Exactly. He can't risk using them openly, because he'd be destroyed. I don't think he'd put he'd sell them to other nations either, because if we even got slightly suspicious, we'd take him out. This is just a deterrent. He's a dog that's been cornered, and now he's baring his teeth as a warning to not **** with him.

I think that sums up my thoughts on the situation, and my problems with my country and the US invading other countries on a whim.

See what I mean Shellback? I have never seen more people jump to defend a fanatical madman killer in my life.

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

GhostFox said:
See what I mean Shellback? I have never seen more people jump to defend a fanatical madman killer in my life.

hehehe.

[SARCASM]
GWB ;)
[/SARCASM]

GhostFox said:

How many madmen does he kill? :p

But seriously, with things going as they are now is it any wonder he announced his nuclear weapons? I certainly heard a lot of people talking about "Is NK next on Americas list?"

NK is a problem, the coalition's actions is a catalyst - we have to be able to identify this as a problem that we have helped to cause.

I think, from past experience and reading up on history, that the propaganda machine has gotten its hands on NK a little, I don't doubt he's mentally unstable - but the idea that he wants to blow his country up, or just chuck a nuke at America is idiotic.

Oh my God, now its the US' fault NK developed nukes. Good lord this is ridiculous, anybody else seeing this growing trend?

GhostFox said:

You're quite good at political spin. That's really cute, but no.

seinfeldrules said:
Oh my God, now its the US' fault NK developed nukes. Good lord this is ridiculous, anybody else seeing this growing trend?

Ask the NK president. He implied it, not me.

The_Monkey said:
Where exactly? You have killed more lives in Iraq than Saddam did during all his time in power.

Yeah but only the bad guys.

Ghostfox said:

Absinthe said:
You're quite good at political spin. That's really cute, but no.

burner69 said:
Innocent women and children?
Bad guys?

Get on topic please.

kthxbye

"oh noes north korea drops nuke on innocent country, lets blame the US as we do everything else" ... u see my point. :D

seinfeldrules said:
You guys are the one arguing it here, not him.

No, he seems very unhappy about the US at the moment.

Pyongyang said there was no point in the talks since the US had termed North Korea an "outpost of tyranny".

The North also repeated a claim to have built nuclear weapons for self-defence.

From bbc news.

The North Korean official then shocked Kelly when he looked at him and said "something to the effect of, 'Your president called us a member of the axis of evil. ... Your troops are deployed on the Korean peninsula. ... Of course, we have a nuclear program,'" according to the senior administration source, who was briefed on the meeting.

From CNN.

EDIT: I'm not saying it's the US's fault, I'm saying they hardly helped.

GhostFox said:

They're on Guam and have been on a constant 15 min alert fueled with nukes loaded since the cold war.

Anderson Airforce base... I lived near Agana for 4 years and have done a couple of Security Augmentation Force (SAF) missions during the movement of weapons on the Island.

These Anti-American types are sinking to new lows slipping into bed with Kim... Shows utter desperation from that camp.

Sgt_Shellback said:
These Anti-American types are sinking to new lows slipping into bed with Kim... Shows utter desperation from that camp.

Enough of that attitude thanks.

I don't want to see another stupid generalisation like that here.

"Anti-american types"
"Wackjob liberals"
etc.. enough of that.

Who the **** is the United States to assume the role of global cop and impose its own brand of justice on other nations?

Hey! Switzerland! Tell that to the UN!

burner69 said:
Innocent women and children?
Bad guys?

No. I was reffering to the fanatics who would not hesitate to throw an American or British baby up in the air and use it for target practice. Who would, in the name of Islam, run into a crowded building with a bomb strapped to their chest. Who would dismember the limbs of human beings with a dull pocket knife or a rusty axe. I was reffering to the loonies who would drop a bomb on your family and laugh about it the next day. These people are bad, bad people. I hope to god they all die swift and silent deaths.

You could complain about civilian casualties ALL day long. War is hell. We aren't *targeting* civilians. Last time we did that was on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

"Anti-american types"
"Wackjob liberals"

Enough of "Conservative Mouth-Pieces", "Right-Wing Extremists". What you want to stop, we'll continue so long as others are allowed they're own generalizations. bliink, I request you address all of it.

K e r b e r o s said:
Enough of "Conservative Mouth-Pieces", "Right-Wing Extremists". What you want to stop, we'll continue so long as others are allowed they're own generalizations. bliink, I request you address all of it.

I think that was implied by what I said.
And I'm not asking for opinions.

K e r b e r o s said:
She did...hence ETC.

Need reading glasses?

Regardless of that: Topic, now. 3rd and final warning people.

Pesmerga said:
Yeah but only the bad guys.

I was explaining that the west have targetted civilians in Iraq before, taking out water supplies resulting in half a million deaths.

You could complain about civilian casualties ALL day long. War is hell. We aren't *targeting* civilians. Last time we did that was on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
I could. It is. We have. We've done more since then.

Any way. Back on topic.

With North Korea announcing its nuclear arms to the world in response to recent actions how many other unstable regions do you think might either announce their weapons, effectively saying - "look, we have these, now back off." or begin weapon programs to get up there.
In search of spreading freedom have we infact set off another arms race? Or is it just North Korea being... well... North Korea.

And shellback, I appreciate we have very differing views on the world, but suggesting that because I'm trying to show some method for NKs madness, if you want to call it that, that I'm siding with them, is quite frankly childish.

Back