Portal 2 Event at E3 Cancelled – Replaced by…’Surprise’

Or maybe it's to do with Portal 2.

You know, considering it's "the E3 Portal 2 surprise".

It's about Portal 2. There is nothing whatsoever to suggest anything to do with Episode 3. Anyone getting vocally butthurt about this when it turns out to be (surprise!) just about Portal 2 will go straight to Anti-Citizen Level 3.
You should extend it to: "Anyone who deludes themselves into believing Valve is going to talk about Ep3 anywhere, at any time, automatic ban."

You should extend it to: "Anyone who deludes themselves into believing Valve is going to talk about Ep3 anywhere, at any time, automatic ban."

Sounds like a good rule for a forum about Half Life.

Oh jee, thanks Glenn for removing my predictions. It's Portal 2 bundled with Half Life 3 or just HL3 on Source 2!!! :naughty:

There's no such thing as "Source 2" - Source is a modular engine.

I've learnt to never try and guess what Valve are up to, its futile. Just gotta wait it out...

At least it's going to be news about something Valve related. You guys are being too picky.

Guys, it's not going to be EP3. Despite how huge Portal 2 is, it would be overshadowed totally by EP3 news. I don't think Valve will be wanting to steal their own spotlight. What is the surprise then? Portal Gun in Left 4 Dead 2. Yes. That sounds about right.

At least it's going to be news about something Valve related.
Lo, after decades of searching the internet, we have finally found the true Master of the Obvious! Let all pretenders to his throne be silenced!

There's no such thing as "Source 2" - Source is a modular engine.
I'm working on impressions alone here, but surely all game engines are 'modular' to some extent? Since Valve have never been overly bothered about marketing their engine, they simply don't delineate versions like others do?

Everyone else is guessing games...
so I'll try to be a little bit different and guess that maybe its a trailer/teaser for a Half-Life movie. My reasoning behind this is because of those HL2 live action vids the Purchase Brothers made a year or so ago and then never even released part 2 of it. It was said that they were even flewn to Valve due to its popularity to talk about projects. Also I can't remember where I read it but it said the Purchase Brothers were working on a feature film so maybe thats what they were making since Valve liked that short.

Is there anything to suggest that this absolutely IS NOT Episode 3 or anything that might be related to the man in orange?

Just want to know so I can go back to hibernation mode.

Yes. The e-mail says the surprise is about portal 2.

I don't think Valve would work on a movie before the games are all out.

It's about Portal 2. There is nothing whatsoever to suggest anything to do with Episode 3. Anyone getting vocally butthurt about this when it turns out to be (surprise!) just about Portal 2 will go straight to Anti-Citizen Level 3.

I can't wait!

Does this go both ways? It should.

Because when it says

ask fruitless questions about the E3 Portal 2 surprise
It could be refering to

the cancellation of the event certainly counts as a surprise

10847331245176248trollf.jpg

or showing off the engineer update?

EDIT: nvm i forgot they confirmed it will be about Portal 2....sorry

Portal and Ep 3 are the same game.

Has somebody already said this?

Portal and Ep 3 are the same game.

Has somebody already said this?
I could've sworn in some of the more recent news/interviews regarding Portal/HL2 ties, they weren't going in that direction anymore.

Not that Valve couldn't show other projects as well or be deliberately misleading us.

Why would they mislead us? It's not like they intend the surprise to be surprising.

why don't we all stop speculating, and wait for the ****ing E3

why don't we all stop speculating, and wait for the ****ing E3

"stop speculating" - but you're a June '04, man. Speculation is meant to be in our blood! Waiting for release is for sissies.

I don't hate freedom. I hate when someone comes and say "omg they will show EP3/HL3, and release a new Orange Box!". What's next, a tv show featuring adventures of Corporal Adrian Shephard? :p

Oh but I want to believe.

Valve is becoming our collective, successful husband who gives a lot of nice things but doesn't satisfy us sexually any more.

(Half-Life is sex in this metaphor)

Weird how they would randomly pull the highly anticipated Portal 2 out of E3 and replace it with a "surprise".

Well there aren't many options. They are either doing this as a marketing stunt or they actually messed up Portal 2 somehow. Of course, there is always the option of an actual surprise with a new title/HL2: Ep3, but I doubt it.

Episode 3 will be released September 30, 2010. There's your surprise.

Let me clarify some things quickly:

1) The original Portal event was going to be a big media thing - free drinks and such, almost like a party with a trailer hopefully. There was to be 1 date in the royal theatre opposite the LA convention centre - but it was during E3 (June 15-17). This has been cancelled.

2) Now Valve are in a private conference room, pretty much the same as we visited last year. This is in the LA convention centre and will run for 3 days with Valve booking people in for time slots to demonstrate something. Usually they give away free usb keys with media on. I'm hoping for a trailer, with the surprise being perhaps the ability to play a short co-op chamber with Doug Lombardi who will be there. We've had to book a specific time slot - more details on this soon.

So to clarify...the original event was cancelled and replaced with this one running for the 3 days of E3. Oh and the organiser for the original event has left Valve and Doug has taken over (unrelated circumstances though).

I could still go for a pass Glenn.

I'll even teach you about LA!
And how to avoid being mugged.

free stuff is cool. get everything you can.

I am willing to bet my left testicle that its ep3. Not even kidding.

Back