Portal 2 Event at E3 Cancelled – Replaced by…’Surprise’

That's just wishful thinking. And you know what Breen said about wishful (magical) thinking...

Episode 3 is dead everyone. The eposodic idea seemed like a good idea at the time but has failed valves standards. I'm not saying there's not going to be another half-life game, but expect Half-life 3.

First off if there was an episode 3 that means no cliffhangers and the "saga" ends for awhile. Valve has left way to many openings within the storyline to finish in a short 5 hour game. There are still many questions to be answered.

Second off look at sales for episode 1 and 2. Half-life the original sold around 15 million copies. Half-life 2 has sold around 8.5 million copies. Very strong numbers. Episode 1 sold less than 2 million and the orange box sold less than 4 million, even with team fortress 2 and portal.

Don't expect a new half-life game until November 2011 or even later. It will however, be a full game.

Cite your source for those sales figures.

We have no idea of the sales figures for the Orange Box or episodes because Valve have never released the Steam sales figures.

Episode 3 is dead everyone. The eposodic idea seemed like a good idea at the time but has failed valves standards. I'm not saying there's not going to be another half-life game, but expect Half-life 3.

First off if there was an episode 3 that means no cliffhangers and the "saga" ends for awhile. Valve has left way to many openings within the storyline to finish in a short 5 hour game. There are still many questions to be answered.

Second off look at sales for episode 1 and 2. Half-life the original sold around 15 million copies. Half-life 2 has sold around 8.5 million copies. Very strong numbers. Episode 1 sold less than 2 million and the orange box sold less than 4 million, even with team fortress 2 and portal.

Don't expect a new half-life game until November 2011 or even later. It will however, be a full game.

Gabe?

Where are the "Half-Life 3" people coming from? I don't get the reasoning behind the desperate "we want hl3" cry. What would it change? I'm confused beyond belief :p

I forget when ep1 development began, but ep2 was released 1 yr after ep1. It's been almost 3 since ep2, logical conclusion seems that it's either a full game or a very long episode. Regular sized episode would be unacceptable.

lol since when do you get to make demands from valve?

they could stop production if they wanted to -- it doesn't matter if you deem it acceptable or not

take what you get

I'm stating what I think would be the reaction from people in general. I highly doubt this is just another episode anyways. I think more of Valve than that given the timeframe.

I bet the upcoming episode will simply be longer or introduce some new technology. It's been a while since Valve made any significant innovations, right?

Surely the logical conclusion is that Episode Three will be the same length as the other two and is just taking three times as long. I still think they were probably unhappy with the direction it was going in and decided to re-do a large portion of the game.

I think I recall an interview from quite a while ago in which someone from Valve said Episode Three is an ambitious project, thus it will take longer to finish and release. Ambitious, how? New technology? Significant Source Engine update? Innovative gameplay? Who knows. It's not the right thread to speculate anyway ;)

It's a gustimate. However Half-life episode 1 was a flunk. There's a reason you can't find any sales information for episode 1 compared to half-life 2 and the orange box.

Half-life 2 retail has sold around 6.5 million without including steam and the orange box has sold around 3 million. Not hard to find those sources since its both retail and not bought through steam. There is no info about retail for episode 1 but that's because it did poor. No one wants to spend 30$ or even 20$ on a game.

A lot of people who have played Half-life 2 have never played the original half-life. It is obviously a very different situation with valve having both half-life 2 and the episodes in the orange box. However, do you think anyone would have played either episodes that had not already played half-life 2?

Valves audience is getting old. They need a new game that will make players go back and play half-life 2 after playing half-life 3. If you don't think this happens then you haven't heard of the fallout series. Amazing how fallout 1 and 2 are back on the shelves ;).

Surely the logical conclusion is that Episode Three will be the same length as the other two and is just taking three times as long.
How is that conclusion more logical than the alternative?

Also, I feel that Valve was relying on Black Mesa Source to keep it's fans "otherwise occupied."

Black Mesa Source has since been delayed to who knows when.

That's a whole bunch of unsupported theories you've got there.

I said to Doug "I assume we will get a Portal 2 presentation and the new content will be my slice of cake, am I right?"

He answered with a "You are."

*shrugs*

Half-life is monster. It is "their" franchise. The next half-life game has a lot to live up to if it is to end the saga. Putting everything into a small 5-6 hour game is EXTREMELY difficult considering the plot of half-life.

Maybe there is a reason portal 2 is being released before the next half-life game. After all, they both take place in the same universe. I know this is a lot of speculation but I have been playing half-life since I was 12 on my Pentium 3. Valve is very smart and will not create something that will fail. The next Half-life game will not be just some episode, but monumental.

According to Game Informer, Valve doesn't have the final HL2 episode in plans for 2010, and it's even pondering if it should be released at all.

Next Half-Life will feature a gigantic war on a spaceship involving Adrian Shephard's pipewrench and Gordon Freeman's crowbar going through a blackhole to save Alyx and Barney's children, and send them back to Black Mesa to prevent the incident.

Also, I feel that Valve was relying on Black Mesa Source to keep it's fans "otherwise occupied."

Black Mesa Source has since been delayed to who knows when.

this was being discussed on the Black mesa forums themselves. . .!

Interesting. . .

Stern just posted this in the games section:

110yhwl.jpg

Hype pictures FTW. I wish....

110yhwl.jpg

Can only dream huh? Anyways, Portal 2 seems like a great addition, and will be a first day buy for me.

EDIT: I'm always not first, :(

/hug

Don't get too hyped though, since its veracity hasn't been proven.

Yeah, but whoever made it is very clever, hiding that G-man face in there was pro, didn't notice it until staring at the pic endlessly. Who knows if Valve is circulating various hype-related things throughout the internet community.

Next Half-Life will feature a gigantic war on a spaceship involving Adrian Shephard's pipewrench and Gordon Freeman's crowbar going through a blackhole to save Alyx and Barney's children, and send them back to Black Mesa to prevent the incident.

:flame: I've already told everyone exactly what Ep. 3 will consist of. :flame:

In episode 3 the barriers between all the continuities will be done away with and Captain Juan-Luc Picard will mate with Gordon Freeman through the Pnuematic Ultra-Condom Sperm/Egg Converter that slipped through the portal from the Steampunk universe inside of Klieners right knee. Thereupon the G-Man will raise his Klingon underlings from their graves and zip off to Endor in their Tardis's to pillage what is left of the Ewok/Nightelf concentration camps left over from the Secession Wars of the Inner Sphere. The Big Daddies will get confused by this unexpected arrival and open the gateway to Hell to get the ammo for their shuriken-and-lightning guns. Princess Mononoke will land in the Millenium Falcon just in time for the debut of the Mythbusters Adrian Shepard living debunking, and she will steal the waters of the fountain of eternal youth from the claws of Skeletor. Captain Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch will arrive on the scene to arrest her and jail her next to Superboy-Prime in the heart of a Red Supergiant, but along the way will get waylaid by the Andross Armada but will be saved by the Rebel Alliance, but before the flagship is destroyed it will activate the Improbability Drive and Nicol Bolas will make everyone discard their hands. The Knights Templar will intercept the G-Man and his army of undead Klingons just before they release Jar Jar from his prison within the hidden depths of Endor, and a massive battle will break out between the shining knight and the xeno. The son of Gordon and Juan-Luc will then activate his hidden psycher transmitter and call down a deep-strike squad of Grey-Knight Terminators, and then shit starts getting real. The Blues Brothers drop out of hyperspace in atmo over the battle with Indiana Jones clinging to the top of their car with his whip aflame in the air above them. He performs the forbidden Dance of Summoning, and out of the ground climbs Zues and Odin, who were previously enwrapped in each other arms. An odd moment for them, they immediately turn into a swan and a horrible sea monster, respectively. Homer watches all of this and carefully makes notes on the back of a napkin from the cafe at the streetcorner all the while burning copies of The Da Vinci Code through the sheer grinding friction between his buttcheeks. Finally, there will be a three hour long cutscene of Gordon speaking.

In my opinion it's (the surprise) going to be Freeman: Ultra-Sudoku Adventure, wherein you travel the universe with your sidekick G-Man and your pimp pilot Tingle to find parts of the Flaming Brassieres of Power which contain the parts of the sudoku puzzle singularity, which when solved will free the earth from its terrible tyrannical overlords, the Quaker Marines, which are just like the Ultra Marine chapter of the Adeptus Astartes, but with exceptionally more oatmeal.

There's a strong possibility that image is a hoax, but I really hope it isn't.

You guys need to relax by 10,000%. No matter how reasonable any one given expectation may or may not be, there's still a huge chance it won't be anything like that. One camp will tell you I told you so, even though their guess might have been pretty out there, and the other will cry me a river, even though their guess may have made perfect sense. Wait, find out, smile.

I won't be too shocked if it's not HL related, but damn it will be funny seeing all the F-bombs.

YUUUUUUSS!!! This is too Awesome! I'll hyperventilating myself to death on that day.

free stuff is cool. get everything you can.
Yes, please do! For the love of God, get absolutely everything possible and upload it all for us immediately!

I'm not sure what's going on here - where did the "Freeman" thingy come from?

I dont know but i didnt see it till i checked game informer this morning....gaming websites have been innaccurate before but i can only hope this means ep3.

it's obvious what all of this means

chell = gordon freeman, after gordon had a sex change

Back