Portal 2 Event at E3 Cancelled – Replaced by…’Surprise’

Something interesting I came across at an Article at the Computer and Video Game website:

"Meanwhile, Ripten reports that a '360 and PS3 journalist' has been told by Valve that the new non-Portal 2 'surprise' at E3 won't be of great interest to them. A PC exclusive makes Episode 3 the more likely candidate."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=249682

Interesting to be told that, is this surprise PC exclusive? Of course, it really may not mean that the surprise is related with more Half-Life. It could be DLC or a feature (or features) exclusive to the PC. Regardless, this has definitely gotten me more exited for the 'surprise'.

if ep3 is pc exclusive, that would be such a ridiculous tease to platform owners who went with the orange box. i'll still be disappointed even though i'll play it for the mac (presumebly?) just because it would seem like they weren't going to actually bother carrying on what they started properly.

Of course Episode Three won't be a PC exclusive. When it's going to be released, it will be for the PC, Xbox 360 and Mac at the least. I can't see it happening otherwise - didn't L4D get releases for PC and Xbox simultaneously? Well, Valve has Apple users to take care of now!

I can see why it could be a PC exclusive (please be so), because I'm not sure but the sales of the console versions probably didn't meet expectations at Valve and it wasn't worth it. Just a guess.

Of course Episode Three won't be a PC exclusive. When it's going to be released, it will be for the PC, Xbox 360 and Mac at the least. I can't see it happening otherwise - didn't L4D get releases for PC and Xbox simultaneously? Well, Valve has Apple users to take care of now!

i know, i'm just saying otherwise.

They could release it as Episode 3 + Team Fortress 2 Updated.

That'd be a horrible decision though, given that balance to TF2 is constantly in flux, therefore depending on when Ep3 is released, releasing whatever the current TF2 looks like at that time could pose balance issues.

But they'd be to distracted by their new hats to notice.

But Gordon can't wear a new hat, he has a helmet covering his head already :D

bitches don't know bout Scout's removable default headgear :p

If you guys haven't noticed go on the IMBD of the voice actress for Alyx, it says her next role will be 2011 for episode 3. It says rumored next to it, but it interesting none the less.

If you guys haven't noticed go on the IMBD of the voice actress for Alyx, it says her next role will be 2011 for episode 3. It says rumored next to it, but it interesting none the less.
No.

5char.

No? That's very vague. No like it's not going to happen, or no like you didn't notice? I think with this new picture of freeman and then the voice actress thing we have a decent chance of seeing Half-Life 2 Ep. 3. One can hope.

p.s. your bioshock/half-life/portal hybrid sig is quite impressive.

No? That's very vague. No like it's not going to happen, or no like you didn't notice. I think with this new picture of freeman and then the voice actress thing we have a decent chance of seeing Half-Life 2 Ep. 3. One can hope.

This fake picture of freeman.

IMDB is not authoritative.

Stop posting.

no, it sucks. bioshock sucks.

imdb is a user-based site. you can register, and add/remove anything you want. it's like wikipedia.

The life from my body has been sucked out and now I'm a vessel of the poster I once was... four minutes ago.

It took four whole minutes? We're losing our touch.

Yes, my soul should have been destroyed by my first post. My insubordination is unacceptable.

So i'm confused while reading this thread. Can somebody clear this up. So is this about portal 2 or not? Whats this about EP3 being dead?

Seems enormously unlikely. Given that DNF was developed by 3D Realms, why would it be Valve's thing?

uhmm.. how would you feel about a Duke Nukem Forever?

Rumour has it...
Another fake image made on the back of the success of the other fake Freeman 14th picture.

Everyone and their nan's dogs left testicle are making these images for their 15 minutes of fame. Ignore them all.

Duke Nukem Forever? I think it's more likely Valve would do a true sequel to Quake 1 ;)

Or, you know, continue on their massively popular intellectual property from which we have been expecting a new title for three years.

Maybe the "surprise" will be that Portal 2 will be the first ever game they release on time.

Source Engine 2? Why not. I think it's time for a new engine from Valve. HL2 was state of the art, and HL3 deserves a brand new engine. Yes, sorry guys, but after 3 years (and more) I think that Episode 3 is something from the past. It has to be HL3.

I'm getting sick of this Source Engine 2 shit.

Time passes. Software has to change. Source was born in 2004 and you just can't add modules forever. I'm not saying that we will see Source 2 at E3, but a new Source is unavoidable. And since HL is Valve's main IP, I think that the new installment will use a totally new engine. Personal opinion. HL2 was the best. HL3 would not be the best with current Source technology.

Source was born in 2004 and you just can't add modules forever.
Well, you can... It's just that once you've added/replaced enough you can declare the engine unrecognisable and claim it as the unique selling point of a new title (or platform for potential licensees).

Failing to avoid being irritating, I'll point out that Source obviously wasn't 'born in 2004', since Half-Life 2 wasn't developed in 11 months :p* but even then, I think there's a case to be made for the idea that 'Source' has always existed at Valve. They just started using an internal name as a trademark when looking for partners and a quick name for the state of the engine when revealed in 2003. That quote where we first learned their name for we'd always called a 'modified Quake engine' basically says as much:

Erik Johnson said:
When we were getting very close to releasing Half-Life (less than a week or so), we found there were already some projects that we needed to start working on, but we couldn't risk checking in code to the shipping version of the game. At that point we forked off the code in VSS to be both $/Goldsrc and /$Src. Over the next few years, we used these terms internally as "Goldsource" and "Source". At least initially, the Goldsrc branch of code referred to the codebase that was currently released, and Src referred to the next set of more risky technology that we were working on. When it came down to show Half-Life 2 for the first time at E3, it was part of our internal communication to refer to the "Source" engine vs. the "Goldsource" engine, and the name stuck.
Source Engine 2? I honestly think it'll happen one day. But it won't be 'a totally new engine', just a more significantly overhauled one.

edit:* Someone is required to quip about the authenticity of the E3 2003 videos. 7 years of bitterness.

Hey, as far as I know, Source Engine 2 was used in Episode One (base source engine 2.gcf!) and Source Engine 2007 was used in Episode Two. Thus the next version of Source Engine shall be either 4 or 2011 ;)

Back