Portal 2 Event at E3 Cancelled – Replaced by…’Surprise’

The Source Engine 2 needs to drop all that Quake bollocks and become a modern engine where you can build things in empty space without having to 'seal' it off from the void, have a proper in-editor content browser for importing and organising content, lightmap support for models, 'if you can't see it, it won't render' culling, visualised scripting, in-editor real-time lighting preview, model scaling, gizmos to scale, rotate and transform in the 3D view, an in-editor particle editor, a scripting language which allows access to higher parts of the engine...

Basically, the UDK.

I wouldn't mind Source engine going the direction of UDK, as long as it keeps the Hammer way of creating brushes. It's so overcomplicated in UDK :D

Yep. Creating brushes in UDK is a pain in the bum. Sure, models are the way to go now but prototyping using brushes is quicker and easier so imagine the usability of Hammer combined with the power of the UDK editor. :O

Damn, I guess it's time to forget about brushes and learn some 3dsmax-type application... question: do models in UDK need to be UV-mapped or can they be textured some other, simplier way?

edit - yeah, sure, off-topic, but it's a short one ;)

You need to UV map them.

Also, Psy speaks sense. The Source SDK is abysmal.

Well, you can... It's just that once you've added/replaced enough you can declare the engine unrecognisable and claim it as the unique selling point of a new title (or platform for potential licensees).

Technical considerations apart (I don't believe in a perfect modular framework not requiring periodic refactoring), I see the thing from a functional point of view: by today standards, Source games look good, very good, but they are not state of the art.

I am OK with good games that don't rely totally on graphics, but one of HL2 selling points was "awesome graphics", we can't deny it. Plus, Source is not much used by third party companies. Too expensive? Too difficult to use? Not enough powerful?

Sooner or later, imo Valve will have to go for a new engine that looks better and totally different, as Source was better and different from GoldSrc.

Source licensing is not, and never has been, a primary consideration of Valve's. It was always entirely incidental.

The Source Engine 2 needs to drop all that Quake bollocks and become a modern engine where you can build things in empty space without having to 'seal' it off from the void, have a proper in-editor content browser for importing and organising content, lightmap support for models, 'if you can't see it, it won't render' culling, visualised scripting, in-editor real-time lighting preview, model scaling, gizmos to scale, rotate and transform in the 3D view, an in-editor particle editor, a scripting language which allows access to higher parts of the engine...

Basically, the UDK.

Thats one of the things that I have been saying for a while now. Given that Valve have had modest success with client aquisition (most of which have disappeared or vanished of the face of the Earth) with Source, the next step would naturally be to make a Evolved Engine that would appeal to other AAA developers.

Lets not forget with the direction Valve are taking Ep3, a full fledged Heightmap Editor which you can import Assets into (The displacement tool in the current editor is unintentionally slow)

Source licensing is not, and never has been, a primary consideration of Valve's. It was always entirely incidental.

Ahem.
Valve make their money from a) Steam and b) their games. Source licensing is negligible.

Whoa there sonny, read a bit ahead before you say things like that.

The article clarifies that the ORIGINAL EVENT AT THE REGAL THEATRE HAS BEEN COMPLETELY CANCELLED, NOT THE NEW EVENT WITHIN THE VALVE BOOTH AT E3. You may all breathe easy now, no need to be frightened.

They sent the email out to people who might have shown up at the Regal Theatre out of some lingering false hope, and they sent it out at least 2 days ago.

Whoa there sonny, read a bit ahead before you say things like that.

The article clarifies that the ORIGINAL EVENT AT THE REGAL THEATRE HAS BEEN COMPLETELY CANCELLED, NOT THE NEW EVENT WITHIN THE VALVE BOOTH AT E3. You may all breathe easy now, no need to be frightened.

They sent the email out to people who might have shown up at the Regal Theatre out of some lingering false hope, and they sent it out at least 2 days ago.

OH MAN! OH god, phew! I'm so relieved! Oh man. I was so disappointed in Valve.. Now I love'em again! ;) Thanks for clarifying that.

When is Valve's new event? (Eastern Time)

Back