Portal 2

• Thread starter Deleted member 56031
  • Start date
Also, let me point this out again, from the Aperture Science website. Maybe it's just a simple reference to the old Orange Box. Maybe it means something more.

2mhvnms.jpg

Doesn't mean anything, this video has been on there for about two years

Very exciting news. I didn't expect to see this for a while but hoped it was coming as I actually enjoyed Portal more than EP2 when I played it as part of the Orange box. Portal was an awesome game & the way th estory developed was a real surprise. I loved it. Bring on Portal 2 ...... and then EP3 :rolling:

really cant wait for portal 2... i played portal more than any other game from the orange box

First things first, let me nitpick..

You're an idiot. How are Valve handling this childishly? The last episode (2) had a terribly inaccurate trailer and concept art, which they didn't follow at all, leaving people confused. They're just leaving us blindfolded until they feel the game is close enough to completion. This way, they don't upset everyone with a delay, they just say "Sorry, nope" whenever someone asks.

I dont think should be so rude!! The points I made were valid, I said 6 years because HL2 came out 2004 and we are now in 2010 ;) A rather long time to finish up a story! Which has started 6 years ago! or 13years ago however want to look at it. Fans were getting upset over trailer and screenshot changes then they look to much into it in my view. So many games release media which doesnt always cut into into the final game, same is done in movie trailers etc! To be honest waiting almost 3yrs on a cliff hanger is just stupid, All I was trying to say is Valve need to acknowledge episode 3, even if they just say "dont expect it this year" I'm kind of annoyed you were so rude to me because now I am just writing another angry post about episode 3 which we've seen enough of anyway, so really your the idiot for causing an arguement about it as I was just expression my views how excited I was about portal 2 but an aknowledgement from Valve on episode 3 wouldn't go a miss.

All I was trying to say is Valve need to acknowledge episode 3, even if they just say "dont expect it this year"

That's just silly. If, after all this silence about Ep. 3, their first announcement about it was when it's not coming out, people would whine about it just as they've always whined about everything.

Ep. 2 came out over 2 years ago, so when Valve is ready to say something about it, don't expect a little post on Steam news or something. It'll likely have its own carefully planned marketing strategy to regenerate hype about the series, whether it be a big announcement at a games expo, or some kind of ARG like they've done with Portal 2.

Anywho, I'm really excited for Portal 2, but I have slightly mixed feelings about the multiplayer aspects. It's hard to pass any kind of judgment with so little info, but I hope it doesn't affect the single player story too much. Here's to hoping for some more info at GDC :cheers:

The Aperture Science Button looks much more detailed, and the Companion Cube's shadow looks great. So who thinks these are in-game shots? I am of the opinion that Portal 2 will be running Source Engine 3.

excuse me, but you ahve it all wrong. It's the Fifteen Hundred Megawatt Aperture Science Heavy Duty Super-Colliding Super Button.

jeez, get it right.

yeah ur right episode 3 likely to get a big announcement, sounds like portal 2 around xmas, being in the uk i thought they meant easter :( dont want to wait ages haha hopein for portal 2 at easter now

being in the uk i thought they meant easter :( dont want to wait ages haha hopein for portal 2 at easter now

Yes, it's not quite clear what kind of holiday season Valve means. At first, I thought about easter holidays, not christmas.

'Holiday season' always means the Christmas Season in Amurrikka. It's kind of a business term for that very profitable time of year.

Since, there are multiple holidays in that short period of time.

still a long time, dont really wanna wish year away for a game so yeah still waiting ages :( sorry im excited but kinda wish we got portal 2 last yr and left 4 dead 2 this yr, woulda been better

there more than likly releasing portal 2 so we can learn more about aperture science before they introduce us to the Borealis in ep 3

They're stalling as they develop bizarre gameplay mechanics in other seemingly unrelated games while they actually intend to implement them in Episode 3 to make it an incredibly different Half-Life experience. (No, not implementing the ASHPD in Episode 3...Just imagine the paint.)

- Portal 2 take place hundreds of years after Portal 1

- Chell is still the playable character for the main single player campaign which is significantly longer

- The co-op campaign involves two androids (made of a core and sentry gun body), the co-op campaign is quite hard

- Jonathon Coulton is back and will provide a new song at the end (and jazz throughout played by GLaDOS)

- The test facility is the same place but highly eroded after many years

- Personality cores appear in various chambers to guide you through chambers. You'll need them to open doors or power certain areas. One such core is called Wheatley who you'll meet at the start and you need to carry.

- New test chamber facilities such as launch pads, suction pipes, traction beams, paintable surfaces (which change the surface properties)

- We will get to see the inner workings of AS again as GLaDOS hasn't fully rebuilt the facility and needs to re-route Chell through various maintenance areas.

- Cake seems to have been dropped as it seems to have gone stale.

^
There is one thing I don't get in this whole announcement: Why are the scenarios in Portal 2 happening a lot after Episode Three (probably after HL3)? No, this is not another whining post where I'll express my bitterness about the episode's release (which feelings I don't have actually) etc. If there are in-game references to the past events of the HL episodes, how would they affect Ep 3 itself? I mean, if we were told in Portal 2 that Gordon succeeded in destroying the Borealis and denying access of the Combine to Earth( or even getting to know that someone important like Magnusson or Alyx died), how would it turn out when the episode is finally released and in our grasp? It wouldn't be much fun, would it. :(

Whaf****? What is this shit? Portal 2? I want my Duke Nukem Forever goddamit! Mother****ets!

I suspect its set the future because its where half life is heading :) which is what excites me, I cant see any other real reason for it, other than perhaps set it so far in the future so it doesnt have to tie in with the half life story at all? but i like to think portal will still be apart of the half life universe

Don't mind me, but is Portal and HL2 under the same departments? As in same set of production team?

The students from digipen (Excluding Kim Swift) are still very much in production of Portal 2, though they have been given more resources. The senior members of Valve are still very much working on the other projects.

^Absolutely stunning. I hope my year old computer can handle it on full graphics.

Have they released the system requirements yet?

Have they released the system requirements yet?

Source is light and scalable. It's not as complex as other modern engines, but when it comes to performance, I prefer speed over eye-candies.

You'd be surprised..

Its a year old Mac Book Pro.

2.53 Intel Core Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
2 Graphics processors but the good one is a... Nividia GeForce 9600M GT the lesser one is a 9400M. It switches depending on the graphics demand (I think).

I'm pretty sure I'm set for any and all valve games which is all that matters 'cause that's all I'm getting until I get a Widows gaming computer.

Exposure to the neurotoxin? Nah...these are just artworks.

A lot of people were complaining in the comments about the new look. I actually like it. The suit and head gear have a retro look to them, and in some ways kind of makes sense when you consider how weird Cave Johnson was (is?). Kind of reminds me of the suits from Fantastic Voyage:
voyagefantastique1966ra.jpg

(mmm, young Raquel Welch)

Back