Post a screenshot!

Probably just my computer. And by delay, I mean not responsive. I'll move my mouse, then a quarter of a second later, the gun moves. Very noticeable.

Hokey, what do you have your settings at?

If you have AA on, turn it off first of all. That is the largest eater of fast response time. Beyond that, you'll just have to turn down other stuff. Shadows, and post processing to start.

And yeah, we're definitely big ACE players.

ARMA 2 looks like its a barrel of fun with multiple people. Perhaps if it went on sale (again) then I would think of buying it.

Actually, for anyone thinking about buying it, be sure to get Combined Operations. (original game plus the newly released expansion, Operation Arrowhead)
The latest ACE2 mod does not work without it, and it's not easy to go back to vanilla arma after having all the improvements that the expansion brings. Supposedly though, the original game is going to be patched at some point to include these features. The expansion isn't just the features alone, though. It brings 2 new islands (which are really awesome) and a whole bunch of units, weapons, vehicles, etc.

But anyway, even if you just have ArmA II you can still get the last stable release of ACE2 (1.3) and we can play with you, we have that stable release installed just to play with people who don't have the expansion.

I'd get it if you guys moved to another time zone.(at least, I never see any of you playing on Steam, non-steam version!?)

Raz and I don't have the Steam version, but Viper does. Though afaik he doesn't need to open steam to run it.

I'm sure we could find times to play with you, generally our times can start at something like 7pm GMT (our early afternoon) and extend to possibly any time within the next 14 hours after that.

and extend to possibly any time within the next 14 hours after that.
LOVED ONES DEPENDING RIGHT GUYS.

And yes, for whatever reason, the Steam version doesn't need Steam running. I haven't yet tried moving the directory out of steamapps to test whether it's completely Steam independent. Who knows.

Cop popped out right as I took the screenshot. Thankfully I was covered.

mw21.jpg

And then hokey posted a MW2 screenshot :hmph:

If you can run that game well then there's no reason you can't get arma 2 running at a playable level.

THATS WHAT I SAID

Also, it was just the demo to Arma II. That could have had something to do with it. I'll mess around with the settings sometime today.

AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 2.2Ghz 4200+ (rated at 4.4Ghz) Processor
3Gb DDR2 memory
ATI Radeon 5670

That's more than enough. Your settings must be whack. Put everything on lowest, then bump them up gradually.

And not only does AA eat your fps, but it hurts a lot in this game. Often you'll only be able to see pixel clusters of an enemy, so jaggies help for good contrast.

Also, make sure your view distance isn't 10km...

And for the love of god, turn off post processing. That shit is terrible. I turn off headbob myself as well, but that's up to you.

Probably Bohemia just stole a no-CD crack for the Steam version, they wouldn't be the first :)

The game doesn't need the CD in the drive.

EDIT

Tonight we tried another crack at this mission.

We got considerably further, but didn't really remember to take screenshots in the heat of the battle.

Here's Raz shelling a building with an RPG7 he picked up. I had a nice view of the town, perched on the roof of the highest building.

20100721205432capture.jpg

This is me giving Raz first aid after he had been shot near this minaret. As you can see, I had already possessed plenty of injuries.

20100721212912capture.jpg

Raz is gazing at me in admiration, as I lean out of a corner to look down the street to find the bastard that shot him.

20100721205641capture.jpg

After we had eliminated our primary targets, we began to withdraw from the town to our extraction point. Unfortunately, I was hit by a lone enemy and my legs just couldn't hack it anymore. I either had to crawl or be dragged/carried out.

While Raz was carrying me we were assaulted by another small group of enemies. After an intense engagement, we slowly continued to move out, with Raz covering us.

Crawling away from that dreaded town, Raz in my wake toting an enemy RPK.

20100721210252capture.jpg

Cautiously covering our retreat

20100721210353capture.jpg

When we decided we were safe, Raz resumed hauling me out.

20100721210439capture.jpg

So we tried the same misssion again today.

arma2oa2010072116151260.png

Bugeyed black guy stares into your soul.

arma2oa2010072116551780.png

Vegeta's first of many injuries.

arma2oa2010072117350023.png

Raz provides cover for a gimped Vegeta.

arma2oa2010072117374182.png

Raz ends up having to carry said gimped Vegeta.

That's Bionic Commando: Rearmed. No idea whether it's in the original or not though!

What software/game is the first screen from, VT?
The second pic is what it looks like when you start a new table. Both pictures are from Visual Pinball, a 2D pinball construction set with great physics and supporting PinMAME software. It can use real pinball ROMs. Not to be confused with Future Pinball, which is another great pinball construction set.

Visual Pinball is now open source, and they are looking for programmers to help improve it. Everything computer pinball: http://www.vpforums.org/

Some Cortex Command coop with my brother.

screendump001.jpg

We killed over 500 enemies defending our base. All this debris you see are from dropships that we shot down. I had my guy above the base entrance shaft there with a nice grenade launcher, and my bro would sit on that floating hill (on the bottom screen) with a heavy caliber sniper. Those cavernous tunnels you can see are where I mined out gold. Such a fun game, especially playing with someone.

I think I'm gonna get the ARMA2 Demo. I'm soon picking up a GTX260 from a friend, so hopefully it'll run well...
I use CURRENTLY...
E8400Wolfdale (4.0GHz)
4GB DDR RAM
8800GT (512MB)
How well would I run A2?

I have about the same system and it won't run that well. Medium settings at best. Although I am running at 1920x1200

I think I'm gonna get the ARMA2 Demo. I'm soon picking up a GTX260 from a friend, so hopefully it'll run well...
I use CURRENTLY...
E8400Wolfdale (4.0GHz)
4GB DDR RAM
8800GT (512MB)
How well would I run A2?
Except for the vid card, you're running on identical hardware to Vegeta.

Let me emphasise this: Arma 2 is impossible to play at 'max' settings. It's not meant to be played so. Max settings means you're running a 10 kilometer view distance with something like 8xaa. I don't think there's any consumer computer able to push past 20 fps set like that. Bohemia Interactive didn't design the game to look amazing in stills: hence why the screenshots look rather tame. The graphics are merely there to be adequate enough to convey realism, not to look like a movie. This is a methodical (sometimes slow), team-oriented, highly rewarding and immersive game. If you're in it for the looks, turn away.

Performance wise, at about 2.5km, Morgan's (and apparently Omega's) set up will be fine. I ran Arma 2 fine on an Athlon x2 3800 with a 7900gt at low settings. I could even run full foliage in Chernarus (which, coincidentally, is deathly to play missions in because there's concealment everywhere), though it hiccoughed at times. Playability > eye candy.

I don't know what these two are talking about, I'm in it for the looks. The reason we fail our missions so much is because I am admiring the graphics instead of covering our flank or providing suppressing fire.

You guys make ARMA2 look fun. I couldn't really get into the SP, probably because of the game-breaking bugs. How often do you guys play?

EDIT: So... I just restored my ARMA2 backup... Now its got to download patches and shit. Is there really 8.5 gigs in patch content that I have to download? WTF

Back