shank2010103122191133.jpg

shank2010103121370253.jpg

shank2010103121371153.jpg

shank2010103121301812.jpg

shank2010103121313111.jpg

106392807-4.jpg

106392774-4.jpg

106392765-4.jpg

Man, Third Age Total War is exactly what the Battle for Middle Earth games should've been.

Heh, I recently went to a Medieval themed fair and it put me in the mood for all things pertaining to the middle ages.
Forgot how huge M2TW was, it's something like a 17gb install for the Gold Edition... and then about 3 to 4 gbs for the really fleshed out mods.
Worth it though.

20101105194259eschalonb.jpg

Eschalon: Book II
Released just this year, but resurrects oldschool RPG and DnD style gameplay. Turn based and isometric.

After trying out Book I and nearly beating it (got held up by a fatal game bug and just decided to move on to the improved sequel) I purchased this on Steam and dove right in.

Let me say, that this game is hard as ****. I decided to be a ranger this time around, using a bow. I wasn't too excited to have to keep buying arrows, but I wanted to be able to attack from a safe distance.

I rolled a decent attribute list, and did my best to pick my initial skills. Put some points in bow skill, some in cartography (learned from playing Book I that this is quite useful) and foraging (reduces hunger and thirst) and light armor. I think the light armor might have been a mistake.

I'm finding it very difficult just to get by in this game. My gold is limited, I have to keep buying food occasionally, and arrows, and repairing my equipment. Not to mention, this god damn blacksmith takes forever to get a new stock of arrows in.

When I became level 2, I decided to learn another weapon skill, so that I wouldn't rely on this dwindling supply of arrows. I went with piercing weapons (daggers, knives) because Speed and Dexterity compliment it. Unfortunately I was careless with them and they broke before I could repair them. So now I need to wait for the blacksmith to make some more of those, too.

20101105200958eschalonb.jpg

There's a dungeon with some locked doors, and I had to spend the skill points when I became level 3 to learn lock pick so I could get some more loot to sell. But lock picks are expensive, and I only have one. The doors down there have like a 20% probability of opening with my current skill level, so I'm very hesitant to use my one pick. And there's a special difficulty setting in this game where everything is based on a pregenerated seed, so that I can't just save, try the pick lock, then load if it doesn't work and try again. The result will always be the same.

And these damn mice, I'm scared to find them melee because their bites have a chance of giving me disease. And it's expensive as **** to buy a tonic to cure that.

I'm not sure what to spend my next skill points on. Perhaps I should improve my piercing weapons skill. I just don't know.

Edit: Kathy's Adventure continues

20101105205412capture.jpg

The blacksmith finally got off his fat ass and made some arrows. Unfortunately I was only able to purchase 38 of them, given my budget.
And the ****er didn't even make any daggers, so I couldn't even get a melee solution.

With my small bundle of arrows, I went out east and came across 2 bandits. After much running and shooting, I finally slayed them. Aside from the xp, it was a mostly pointless venture that used about 25 arrows. One of them did drop loot, but all it was was a worthless quarter staff (sold for 1 gold) and an unidentified item. I knew it was food, it was a potato. But you cant consume/use/wear unidentified objects. You can pay a shop keeper to identify it for you (which I later did, didn't cost too much)

I remembered that with my foraging skill, supposedly I had the ability to find some resources (random items used in alchemy/crafting) after resting. So I tried resting for about 18 hours and came under attack by 2 more bandits. I exhausted the last of my arrows killing one, and equipped the quarter staff (which I was unskilled with) and just barely managed to finish off the other guy before dying. One guy dropped 14 arrows (which you can see I have in my quiver slot) and the other dropped an unidentified item that looks like leather armor, and an unidentified but enchanted amulet! When I saw these things, I decided for sure when I reach level 4 I'm going to get the Lore skill, so I can stop having to deal with this unidentified loot.

I payed the blacksmith to Identify the amulet, and it turns out it's a compass. I wear it and gain +2 cartography. You can see on the map, the areas in town where I've walked around since equipping it are a bit more detailed (I can finally map water!) The thing only sells for about 17, (which is what I had to pay to identify it) so I decided to keep it for now.

As for the leather armor, the guy wanted like 36 gold to identify it, so I think I've got something valuable here. I'm going to hang on to it until I get that Lore skill, and then make some serious dough off of it.

Edit: Oh yes, that sword you see is a short sword (does not count as a piercing weapon) that I decided to hang on to as a melee weapon until I can get a dagger.

Edit 2: Oh hell yes! I just picked up a powder keg that was laying around, and lured 2 rats into following me. Then I dropped the keg, led the rats to run near it, and shot the thing. It blew up, killing them both, netting me 20xp. They also dropped some tasty rat meat! Mmm.

More:

20101105212011capture.jpg

Went west, just outside of town, and found a little camp with a bandit. I managed to kill him using aimed shots when he was further away(+30% tohit modifier, -30% max dmg) and then switching to powered shot (opposite effects of aimed shot) for the finishing blow. I don't think I wasted a single arrow, and I took him down before he could even reach me.

He dropped loot, and there was a chest to raid. What do I find?

20101105212409capture.jpg

Jackpot! A nice copper dagger, as well as 12 darts (thrown weapons, I'm not skilled so I'll just sell them) an unidentified blade, and a copper short sword. May sound like junk, but at my current state it's a blessing.

Using my newly acquired dagger, I explored further and killed some slimes. Level up! I spent my skill points on learning Lore, and was able to identify the equipment I found. The leather thing is actually a "bronze chain jerkin" and it sells for 37 gold! Yay. I also found a locked chest, which had a 40% probability to successfully unlock. I rolled the dice, (figuratively speaking) and managed to get it open without breaking my pick (woo!). Inside is an unidentified scroll (guess I still have a lot to learn) and I think I'll just sell it for what it's worth in its unidentified state. Spell scrolls are valuable. Time to restock on arrows!

20101105215708capture.jpg

I journeyed back into the dungeons, feeling confident. I killed a few rats and eventually found the runaway disciple the local priest sent me looking for. He was batshit insane, trying to convince me that the world was ending. He became hostile and I had to slay him. All he had on him was a key, but in his desk were some goodies!

20101105215801capture.jpg

Rat meat, two apples, salted fish, potato, and oh, what's that? An iron knife. Hell yes. Base damage: 2 compared to the 1 of my copper dagger.

20101105220110capture.jpg

Son of a bitch, this little back room he had was trapped. There was a locked chest in it, and I broke my one and only lock pick trying to open it. Damn. I'll have to come back for it later.

How does Eschalon handle enemies?

I.e. do they respawn, do areas get repopulated by monsters over time?

And where's the part where the game is supposed to be fun? :p

I personally like hearing these stories Vegeta, I wouldnt mind hearing more.

How does Eschalon handle enemies?

I.e. do they respawn, do areas get repopulated by monsters over time?
Well I think when you clear an area, they don't respawn. But, if you camp out for a while there's a chance you'll come under attack by generated enemies.

And where's the part where the game is supposed to be fun? :p
You know, I had you in mind when I was posting these screenshots. I thought you'd be really interested. I don't know how you could read what I wrote and not think it was fun. I guess I had you all wrong.

I personally like hearing these stories Vegeta, I wouldnt mind hearing more.
Aww, this is really nice of you to say. I was feeling like I was just blabbering on and on and nobody cared.

I thought it was a quite amusing "Let's Play" in miniature format.

Would be quite fun to have more of those in the thread actually, rather than just simple screenshots etc.

Replace the screens with New Vegas screenshots and it'd look 10x more appealing. Or any FPS/TPS for that matter.

Yeah, I'm not much into hardcore RPGs.
Dragon Age: Origins, The Elder Scrolls series, Fallout series, and the KOTOR series are pretty much the most I've played and finished.

It was an interesting read though, I may not enjoy playing those types of RPGs but I do enjoy reading about them and really wouldn't mind if you posted more.

Man, I scrolled past those screens real quick on accident, and thought it was Ultima Online and I was going to be all "**** YEAH! UO MOTHER****ERS" but instead im now interested in a new game.

But the main reason I came into this thread and scrolled past those images was to say that holy shit this thread is four and a half years old now.

WoWScrnShot_110110_161847.jpg

WoWScrnShot_110110_165036.jpg

took these in wow to show off some cool new effects. its not like we haven't seen it before but its still pleasant to me

Call Of Duty: Black Ops

blackops201011091411368.jpg

blackops201011091409575.jpg

blackops201011091409155.jpg

blackops201011091351345.jpg

Sorry for the jaggies, not my usual rig.

It's a human shield. And the taliban or whatever is holding it.

The Adventure of

part1cd.png

[editorial note: commas and periods appear as dots in-game]

Greetings! My name is Dick Cocu, and I want to be a mighty knight!

I come from the hamlet of Raspglows. I've been training all summer with my dead father's sword and shield, and I'm ready to defeat dragons, fiends, and win the king's favour. Wish me luck!

Oh, in case anybody asks around for me, tell them I look like this:

part2a.png

First, I'm going to ask my town's merchant if there's been any trouble around here lately. I've been so busy with training that I haven't talked much to anyone in a month.

part6k.png

Histek protect us all. My merchant friend tells me there's an unspeakable evil in the Cavern of Ghosts. I must defeat it! I try and flatter him into joining me, but the man is a coward.

Before I leave, I ask the herbalist for any potions that may aid my strength.

part9.png

People are always caught up in my name. I'm not sure why.

part7o.png

Cavernghosts isn't too far.

part10.png

Phew. After a day's cold journey, I've found it. See that hole? It's a yawning maw that might lead me, Histek protect me, to the evil creature I must slay. I make a small prayer to Calbaw the warrior god before I enter.

part11.png

A hissing, spitting voice echoes around me in the dark. I pitch my torch into the darkness ahead of me.

part12.png

Yegads! Save me! I now know why I fear the--wait, she's limping and coughing up a lung. Alright then.

part14.png

She approaches me slowly, her great scaley, spindley legs proceeding her. Now is my chance.

part15.png

For Raspglows!

part16.png

Victory! Let her rot in the underworld for eternity!

The ordeal has left me parched, and I have no more water left.

part17.png

Salty.

I return home to spread the news and ask about any other evil that must be dispatched. I begin a conversation with a local.

part18.png

Wh--why would my parents be interesting? And why does everyone keep talking about the Bogeyman?

I hear a comotion to the south. People are shouting "Invaders, invaders!" I run over to see four bandits attacking the village! Two crossbowman are shooting the peasants from a distance, while two macemen charge in my direction. FOR RASPGLOWS!

part19.png

BY HEAVENS THAT HURTS. COME AT ME VILLAIN, I THIRST FOR YOUR BLOOD.

part20.png

MMFFFMFMFMFFFFF

part21e.png

Ha-ha! Ile, thy name is? Meet thy maker!

I chase the crossbowmen for a few miles, but I lose them in the Forests of Jail. What a curious name...

part22.png

O drat, it's night time. I better go to a safe place, lest I be attacked by wolves.

part23.png

I think I'll rest in this stream. What? Knights can sleep anywhere!

What's that noise I hear? It sounds like twigs snapping, like laughing... By heavens, CACKLING BOGEYMEN!

part24.png

Nooooooo!

part25.png

Take that, and that, and that.

I just barely make it out alive. Every part of my body is sore from those blasted things' kicks and punches, not to mention that arrow wound from earlier.

I find refuge in a nearby castle. The guards here seems to be happy to see me. Perhaps rumours of my exploits have come around.

I ask one of them if he will join me.

part27.png

Well, maybe your glory and death...

I recruit three more, and we've got a merry band going. They don't seem too keen to tell me much about themselves. Oh well.

We've been told there's a ghoul to the north, in the Lush Forests. Off we go.

You know, I think I like this place. It's aptly named. The trees are bright green, the birds are singsong, it's actually sunny for a change, and HOLY--

part28.png

Die, bastard from hell, die die die!

part29.png

"Mercy!" my companion screams.

After a hard battle, we kill it. Two of my men are now missing hands. They give me angry looks. "War wounds!" I say mirthfully. They don't share in the laughter.

Well, at least we're still alive.

part30.png

Merde.

In a short battle, we kill it. However, not without loss. One of my hammermen is unconscious and bleeding profusely. "He dies an honourable death," I tell my remaining companions. "We must keep going."

part31.png

Another one? I kill it cleanly, but again not without loss. My other hammerman was seperated from his torso. The remaining two macemen insist on burying him, but I tell them we have no time. It will be night soon. They tell me to turn back. I chastise them for even suggesting we go retreat now.

We spur on ahead with me in the lead. We're almost at the ghoul's layer. "Just a few more miles," I say. I turn to my companions, and a macehead cuts into my arm.

"Traitorous scum! Prepare to die!" I swing and slash at my attacker. "You will regret the day you turned on Dick Cocu the Hungry--"

part32.png

What the ****, is that a Steyr Aug in the last shot?

Doesn't this game take place during the Vietnam War...?

What the ****, is that a Steyr Aug in the last shot?

Doesn't this game take place during the Vietnam War...?

Not all of it, no. It takes place over a 10 year time span.

When does that mission take place though? I recall the Steyr Aug not being produced until the mid(or maybe late) '70s, I seemed to recall the last few missions in Black Ops taking place in '68.

But then again I didn't pay too much attention to the dates in the story, I could be wrong.

But I seem to recall previous "modern CoDs" ****ing up with weapons, such as MW2 giving the Russian army AK-47s.

Back